GCSE Results - good luck if you're getting yours today!

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Buddy Bradley, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Buddy Bradley

Buddy Bradley Pantheistic solipsist

Daughter #1 will be picking up her GCSE results in less than an hour - at the moment she's rolling around in bed cursing her friends for not responding to text messages about where to meet up. :D

2. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

Good luck to her. It’ll be my lad next year and I’m dreading it cos he does absolutely fuck all at school than mess about :hmm:

not-bono-ever likes this.
  3. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

My daughter also. There had been much social media induced collective anxiety.

4. Fozzie Bear

A very bad year to do them, with the new format and all. Fucking Gove.

5. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

big day for many 16 year old - and older

Well done / commiserations/ don’t worry about it

Glad I am not having to do this again

Pickman's model likes this.
  6. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

i did my gcses 30 years ago, and was in the first year to take them. there were no past papers and very little guidance on how the courses would be. i reasoned that the government really wanted them to be a success so they'd be a piece of piss. which they in the main were, especially biology where one question involved looking at pictures of flies and counting them. on the other hand, the music exam was supremely difficult, so i was not too disappointed with an f.

these days a lot's changed and there's been 29 years of talking down teenagers' achievements and my heart goes out to the teenagers getting their results today, especially those who in previous years would have seen their efforts better rewarded.

Thimble Queen and not-bono-ever like this.
  7. Pickman's model

not-bono-ever likes this.
  8. not-bono-ever

The boy has steamed through his and now officially had more qualifications and at a higher grade at this level than I ever achieved.seems to have a talent for science as well

9. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

20 years ago did mine. Never suffered so much unnecessary anxiety. And that was without social media. Not A Levels nor a Bachelors degree caused me as much stress. Fucking league table chasing systems, teaching kids more about arbitrary exam passing skills rather than actual useful knowledge.

SpookyFrank likes this.
  10. not-bono-ever

I did not even pass CSE maths :(:( he now has 2 A*

Fucking hell

Fozzie Bear, MickiQ and Saffy like this.
  11. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

If I got an f I would b flat. And crotchety.

#thatssharp

12. Pickman's model

i would quaver a lot if i posted such awful puns

Celyn likes this.
  13. Fozzie Bear

My daughter got all 9s in her GCSE's which slightly undermines my point about Gove being a cunt. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Fair play to her, she doesn't get that from me. :D

Bit speechless to be honest.

baldrick, scifisam, S☼I and 17 others like this.
  14. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

omg - that's incredible! Really really amazing! Well done to her. I teach GCSE and I would have thought that to be near impossible.

Thimble Queen and spanglechick like this.
  15. Fozzie Bear

She worked her arse off to be honest and the school was amazing. So we knew she'd do well but that's just ridiculous frankly. :)

It's been a tough couple of years for teachers, so I hope your pupils did OK too...

16. Buddy Bradley

Amazing results, Fozzie Bear's daughter. :cool:

Our daughter did better than she expected in the subjects she was dreading (A/A* in Maths and Science) and worse in the ones she thought were easy (English, Geography). Got what she needed to go on to do the A-levels she wants though, so she's very happy. :)

17. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

Congrtulations to your girl.

Can someone explain the 9s bit to me though. What happened to ABCDEF grades? :hmm:

18. Fozzie Bear

Good news - to be honest getting on to the next chapter is what today is about. :)

Pickman's model likes this.
  19. gaijingirl

I only know my departmental results which are not bad actually (especially given the context of my school which has been in major upheaval and also has a ridiculously tough intake). I'm waiting to find out how we did in relation to the rest of the school and nationally in our subject. eta compared with nationally - ok I guess. It's difficult to say at this stage.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  20. Fozzie Bear

Gove changed it to numbers (9 is the highest and 1 is the lowest) as well as turning it into solely assessed on the exams (not coursework, except for art) and also stupid shit like having to memorise a poem in English.

Pickman's model and Rutita1 like this.
  21. gaijingirl

It's been replaced with a 9-1 system with 9 being the top and described by some people as an equivalent to A**

It has made life very very difficult...

22. Red Cat

Red Cat Well-Known Member

My niece has the results she needs to stay on at 6th form which is amazing given that she was school refusing a year ago and we feared she wouldn't get anything at all.

23. gaijingirl

24. Edie

Edie Well-Known Member

Hopefully everyone can just realise that the exams ARE harder, but kids ARE doing better cos they ARE smarter and they DO work harder than we did before them. My son excepted, cos he’s a silly little knobhed who mucks about cos he hates school and thinks he’s gonna charm money out of thin air in life :facepalm:

scifisam, Voley, MickiQ and 4 others like this.
  25. Fozzie Bear

Yes there's a frenzy of texts and emails about that happening - I imagine a few of those 732 will be from public schools, be interested to know the breakdown there.

:oops:

gaijingirl and Ralph Llama like this.
  26. souljacker

souljacker A bit of skullduggery

not-bono-ever and Fozzie Bear like this.
  27. Buddy Bradley

In addition to what other people have said, the new grading system introduces finer-grained differences between the top grades. So 7/8/9 are all the equivalent of the old "A" grade, it just means there's a clear difference between the super-high-achievers and the 'barely scraped it' types.

Fozzie Bear likes this.
  28. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

I left school with ten A grade GCSEs and zero life skills or practical working knowledge of anything.

I just had a knack for memorising stuff at that age. Even with stuff like English literature, you just memorise what they want you to say and say that. This process, oddly enough, did not actually increase my understanding of or appreciation for literature. I think I memorised the entire GCSE French syallabus in 48 hours, without even trying particularly hard. I got near-perfect marks in the exams, then promptly forgot all of it. Can I speak French? Can I fuck :(

My kids, should they exist at any point, are not going to school.

Thimble Queen and planetgeli like this.
  29. Pickman's model

didn't need that when i did gcses, you could take marked texts in. someone took in a study edition of macbeth - it was absolutely ridiculous, people were going in with whole essays written in their books, and all with the blessing of the exam board.

Thimble Queen and planetgeli like this.
  30. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

That's ridiculous. Did the exam board receive any official criticism or censure?