Gazza

Discussion in 'football' started by Brixton Hatter, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Wilf

Wilf Dances like a Christian

Shurely shome mistake...:confused:

Corax likes this.
  2. bendeus

bendeus Bellend Tagline Generator

Well you, for one, talked about extenuating circumstances. Apologies for the Heil link but the bloke she's describing in this article sounds very much like any other woman hating, manipulative, controlling, premeditated scumbag as any other wife beater I could name. Why should I consider his extenuating circumstances any more than any other cunt of the same stripe?

www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-1267516/Sheryl-Gascoigne-talks-abusive-relationship-Gazza-A-charming-man-makes-dangerous-lover.html#axzz2Kdc6W0cZ

krtek a houby likes this.
  3. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

Why apologise for posting a Daily Fail article when you have paraphrased Richard Littlejohn so admirably?

Myself, Corax and one or two others have offered a little context... such as Gascoigne's mental health issues which have been apparent since childhood. To note these is not to condone spousal abuse. But you already know this, don't you?

You can see these posts and lots of others if you would care to read the thread. your apparent failure to do so only underlines the two-dimensional, agenda-driven nature of your post.

FWIW my own view - and it is one shared by many, including his ex-partner - is that Gascoigne is more to be pitied than scorned. But don't let that interfere with right to climb on your high horse and beat your manly chest.

DrRingDing likes this.
  4. bendeus

Fascinating, then, that those MH issues that you appear to be so empathetic to cause him to behave in exactly the same way as almost every other abuser, including those without MH issues. Have you paused to consider the possibility that they've nothing to do with the fact that he tortured, raped, coerced and manipulated another human being over a number of years, and that it's more down to the fact that he's a sociopath and hater of women?

Just to give you some context, I have someone very similar very close to my family. His MH issues have fuck all to do with who he is, or for the pain, suffering and abuse he's heaped on his wife over the long years. Fuck all.

Oh, and manly chest? Lol

DexterTCN and krtek a houby like this.
  5. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Share knowledge, don't weaponize it

Bonkers and bizarre :confused::confused:

6. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Share knowledge, don't weaponize it

Stop it now, Liam. People will disagree with you in life, that's the way it is. Shrieking and making up stuff about them is not how you go about changing their minds.

7. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Official Twitter Liaison Officer

One thread!

:D

8. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

Yes dear. That much is coming across loud and clear.

9. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

About the only piece of that Fail pish I would consider reliable...

Stronger: My Life Surviving Gazza by Sheryl Gascoigne is published by Michael Joseph, £18.99. To order a copy for £14.99 with free p&p, contact the YOU Bookshop on 0845 155 0711 , you-bookshop.co.uk

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-1267516/Sheryl-Gascoigne-talks-abusive-relationship-Gazza-A-charming-man-makes-dangerous-lover.html#ixzz2KizJiWjK
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

... can't help thinking that "Gazza wasn't such a bad fella afterall" would not have sold many books some 15 years on.

Does anybody remember the original allegations well enough to know if they bear much resmblance to these 2010 ones? Or are these freshly minted?

10. DexterTCN

bendeus likes this.
  11. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

Low.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/157645.stm

spanglechick likes this.
  12. bendeus

And this invalidates what I have to say? Take a fucking look at yourself.

13. bendeus

Ah yes, the lying spouse. Looks like DexterTCN has already made my point for me.

14. bendeus

Gold digger as well, eh, Liam?

15. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

No. Just two psychologically-damaged, emotionally-immature people in a volatile and tragic love/hate relationship. No black and white hats, here.

Gold digger is a label that was attached to her long, long before her and Gazza's dream turned sour. As I recall it came from a series tabloid articles from embittered ex's of hers... still maybe we should treat the words of an embittered, publicity-hungry ex with the suspicion they deserve. Unless of course they support your argument?

So what was it that first attracted you to the child-like, hardly-ever-had-a-girlfriend-before, intellectually-challenged, emotionally stunted, idiot-savant, mostly mono-syllabic multi-millionaire footballer?

How terrible that your daughter was so traumatised by her one-time-nearly-20-years-ago step-father that she still chooses to use his surname to attract publicity for her 'career' as a full-time wannabe celebrity?

16. mattie

mattie missing in inaction

Gazza once played for t*ttenham. That is unforgivable.

LiamO likes this.
  17. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

I remember that documentary they tried to make but he was awol....the constant phonecalls from him and the kids crying. It was harrowing viewing, watching them all unravel, Gazza included. Sheryl's story has never changed as far as I can remember. The photos from that time were pretty damning. I reckon most of us have had a friend in an abusive relationship and all her experiences as described are so familiar. She seems to have managed quite well by being canny with the divorce settlement and having to raise the kids maybe kept her grounded. It would possibly be an ideal outcome for them if he recovered, repented and got a whole heap of help . His life does sound to be that of a tortured soul, self inflicted or otherwise. I don't think he chose to make her life a living hell - although he did. I doubt he was able to function as a 'normal partner' to anybody.

She has always been quite generous in spirit towards him, which may have been her downfall. But I doubt she is fabricating their marriage problems to sell pages. She appears to have always put the kids needs first and would probably like nothing better than to introduce them to their sober and sorted dad. Fingers crossed she'll be able to do that one day.

18. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

It does not invalidate what you have to say.

But clearly it has coloured what you say and how you choose to say it... and how what you do choose to say may be perceived by the reader.

19. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

In fairness, nobody has defended his behaviour.

Some people have offered his mental health history - and the volatile nature of the relationship - as context.

Rest of your post is hard to disagree with.

clicker likes this.
  20. bendeus

Jesus fucking Christ! So the normal rules for spousal abuse don't apply here, obviously. It's because they're both psychologically damaged that he systematically deconstructed her personality and her face over a number of years? How remarkable. Do you think she is somehow complicit then?

Oh, and so you are calling her a liar, then? What possible reason would you have to smear her version of events, Liam? The fact that he kicked the living bejeebus out of her is a matter of record. The fact that the overwhelmingly vast majority of incidents of spousal abuse that finally draw attention are part of a repeat pattern cannot be lost on you, and the fact that these are usually embedded in a set of behaviours that include the deliberate and systematic deconstruction of a sense of self and social and emotional anchors cannot either.

Do you think it was a one off or a significant blip in a repeat pattern?

21. bendeus

Some people have come pretty damn close

DexterTCN likes this.
  22. clicker

I agree - I don't think his behaviour could be defended. The mental health issues or lack of them have been offered as way of explanation for his behaviour? But does that mean every wife beater is mentally ill, on one hand I can see why they could be described as such, it explains the irrational maybe. Or are some just complete shite laden bullies? Or does the fact he has an inability to handle alcohol the reason why he behaved as he did? Truth is none of us know. If he never drank would he have knocked shit out of the missus? If he was mentally stable would he have been able to handle alcohol? It's chicken and egg time.

Whatever the reason he and those around him all suffered due to his behaviour. Sheryl has come out as the stronger and the survivor. I think she is gracious and selfless enough to wish him recovery and by doing so is still putting her kids first, which he never could. I think it's mean spirited to suggest she is laying it on with a trowel to flog a book.

Wilf likes this.
  23. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

Why do you insist on seeing gender types when I see two human beings? Does Gascoigne and his present and/or former loved ones not have enough to deal with without people choosing to use their tragic lives as political cudgels?

I think I have been consistent on this thread. Post 29...

Citizen66 said:
    Oh yeah. We should ignore those horrible things about him...​

Citizen66 said:
    ... and continue to remember him for his fame.​

Citizen66 said: Pretty much the same as everyone did when those things happened.

Citizen66 said:
    Would you forgive fash some of their shit if they were also well known footballers?​

24. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

It certainly is.

Can you explain how wanting to extend some compassion to a deeply flawed and tragic human being is somehow a defence of wife-beating?

25. DexterTCN

Not so much urbanites.

26. DexterTCN

Because you're a liar, there's no compassion in your interactions. :)

(I'm blocked...this is ad hominem)

krtek a houby and 8den like this.
  27. clicker

No - you would need perhaps to ask that of someone who is?

28. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

sorry, can you clarify what you mean a little?

29. clicker

I can't explain how wanting to extend some compassion to a deeply flawed and tragic human being is somehow a defence of wife-beating - because I didn't suggest anyone was and I wouldn't use it as a defence myself. So you'd need clarification from either someone who did suggest that or someone who was using it as such.

30. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

nope. still don't get it, I'm afraid