Gazza

Discussion in 'football' started by Brixton Hatter, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

Poor Gazza man, all over the tabloids this morning after a drunken appearance at a charity event :(

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/paul-gascoigne-says-no-one-1572075

Clearly having ongoing problems with alcohol. I can't claim to know anything detailed about his situation, but it perhaps would have been good if the press had maybe offered him some sort of help, rather than plastering him all over the front pages.

Peter Schmeichel was saying some interesting things this morning:

[​IMG]Peter Schmeichel@Pschmeichel1
    This is not fun watching. Gazza needs help. Come on PFA & Gordon Tayloy, time to step up. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4776338/Tragic-Paul-Gascoigne-on-video.html

View summary

1. 10h
      [​IMG]Peter Schmeichel@Pschmeichel1
      ..and I think the footballing community, as the family we at times claim to be, must do more to help Gazza and others like him..

Expand

Peter Schmeichel@Pschmeichel1
      ..instead of getting great deals on cars & other luxury goods for members,PFA should commit more time and funds to help the like of Gazza.

Expand

imposs1904 and LiamO like this.
  2. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, English tabloids treat their football heroes the way the british government treats it's war veterans

Meltingpot likes this.
  3. framed

framed Leave it!

It's very sad to see him in that state, however, according to the Mirror article Gazza has had treatment and help for alcoholism and drug dependency in recent years, but continues to return to his old lifestyle.

"Until recently he was getting help at the Providence Clinic in Bournemouth. In 2011 he said it had helped turn his life around. He said. “The alcohol took over my life. Now it’s turned around. I’ve got a smile on my face.”
    "Yesterday Gazza was offered a lifeline by former England team-mate Tony Adams, who runs the Sporting Chance Clinic, which said it would help him if he wanted.
    "A clinic spokesman said: “Tony and the charity continue to offer treatment for addictive disorders including alcohol. We work very closely with the Professional Footballers’ Association, who have always supported any player who has asked.” "

The above is from the Mirror article linked in the OP.

4. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

He always comes up here ("fishing") when on a bender, he hasn't been up since the Moat thing.

5. framed

framed Leave it!

It looks to be beyond the 'bender' stage now. From skin and bones to that bloated look suggests that his internal organs are having to do a lot of extra work... As is implied in some of the coverage, it looks like he's on the same road to liver disease and internal organ failure that eventually killed George Best. :(

6. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

You couldn't not have love for Paul Gascoine... unless you were a complete cunt altogether.

Badgers and sheothebudworths like this.
  7. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

the fucker's played for spurs and rangers. but i will forgive fuck loads, even 'fog on the tyne', for that beautiful goal against scotland in euro96.

what's happened to, what's happening to paul gascoigne's unspeakably sad. i wish he could pull himself out of the spin he's in: but i fear he's passed the point of no return.

:(

and all the attention he's receiving won't help. he should be left alone to get on with his life. it's such a shame, he's only a few years older than me but it's imo highly unlikely he'll see 50.

ruffneck23, skyscraper101 and framed like this.
  8. Pickman's model

unfortunately the british government treats its war veterans the way english tabloids treat their football heroes.

ruffneck23 and LiamO like this.
  9. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

enough already, bloke is a disaster area ! he needs to go on the wagon, and stay there!

10. Citizen66

Citizen66 splash the cistern

That totally bent my head man. North East revenge killing featuring commentary from Gazza and... Firky. :D

free spirit likes this.
  11. Corax

Corax Luke 5:16

His ghostwritten 'auto'biography is a fucking harrowing read. I'm not one for biographical books tbh, but having been given it one Christmas I gave it a go, and it painted a vivid picture of his issues. Brutally honest. It's not just booze that's screwed him up, he's had MH issues long before he was famous for football or drinking.

Whatever. The guy is a legend to many, and clearly has a good heart IMO. He's much loved by those that know him it seems, media-hungry ex excepted. I hope he finds some sort of happiness before he goes. :(

Meltingpot likes this.
  12. Citizen66

A good heart, and that wife beating episode.

spanglechick likes this.
  13. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Alles hat ein Ende nur eine Wurst hat zwei

problem is, he went back to Newcastle where everyone buys him pints,amd began hanging with cunts. Newcastle is very provincial, but that would happen in many places though.I working at a Newcastle club when he was on R&R with his injury and got done in the bogs by a shit stain of a local hard man - that fucked his leg up properly- sorta the beginning of the end for him .hard man was later shot in the head- unconnected with Gaz.

Meltingpot likes this.
  14. Citizen66

Viv Graham?

15. not-bono-ever

whoa!

how do you know ?

16. Citizen66

He was a Geordie hardman who got shot in the head... :hmm:

17. not-bono-ever

ah, i see.

18. not-bono-ever

anyway, evben though Im scotch, the Euro96 goal was a thing of rare beauty

19. Citizen66

He was supposed to have a 'winner takes all' fight with Lee Duffy - nutter from boro who eventually came a cropper also - which was his original planned execution apparently.

Should have left the two of them in a room with every weapon available. Don't know much about Graham but Duffy was a horrible cunt.

not-bono-ever likes this.
  20. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

Bent my head in. Coppers everywhere.

Citizen66 likes this.
  21. framed

framed Leave it!

You're a whisky? :oops:

I'd steer clear of Gazza or he'll drink ye!

not-bono-ever and Citizen66 like this.
  22. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

Cheap, unnecessary and... unlike you.

23. Citizen66

Oh yeah. We should ignore those horrible things about him and continue to remember him for his fame. Pretty much the same as everyone did when those things happened.

Would you forgive fash some of their shit if they were also well known footballers?

24. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Official Twitter Liaison Officer

This is a natural progression for Gazza, imo. He probably won't last as long as George Best.

25. Pickman's model

it cuts out a second or two early on the replay, but you'll get the gist of it

ruffneck23 likes this.
  26. DexterTCN

2:23 to watch a 2 second goal, I think not.

framed likes this.
  27. DexterTCN

28. framed

framed Leave it!

I heartily joined in at Celtic Park with the renditions of 'He Beats His Wife..." to the tune of "Football's Coming Home". :p

I do think he's probably never been 'the full shilling' and his inability to deal with the everyday problems and challenges that life throws up seems apparent. That's not an excuse for him being a wife beater btw, but his apparent inadequacy in nearly all departments outside of football is probably a factor.

29. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

Not at all.

But I'm willing to also accept that when two emotionally immature, vulnerable and damaged individuals are in a tempestuous relationship that violence - whether verbal or physical - is often a by-product... and is often by no means one way traffic.

Or continue to remember him for the flawed, childlike genius he was and how he (like so many before from Sid Viscious to Whitney Houston) was used and abused by many who made money from his legend.

Not at all. Like so many unthinking Celtic fans I wallowed in and laughed at his misery and thought it was hilarious when Celtic fans sang "He beats his wife, he beats her... Gazza beats his wife" to the tune of 'Footballs coming home'.

I freely confess to pangs of guilt when I saw his deeply haunting, yet beautiful and bleedingly self-honest, interview on 'The Late Late Show'... where for the first time I was able to see the tragic figure behind the clown.

My willingness to 'forgive' Gazza is nothing to do with football and everything to do with him as a flawed but essentially decent human being - who did more harm to himself than anyone else..

Could you expand on this a little?

If you are asking me would I 'forgive' once angry young men who vented their fury through right-wing street politics, then of course I would. That would not preclude me from opposing them verbally or perhaps physically were they still active.

Corax likes this.
  30. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

Headlines today say that Lineker, Piers Morgan and Chris Evans have paid for him to go to rehab in L.A.