Gay dance scene

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ska invita, Dec 13, 2016.

1. cantsin

cantsin Well-Known Member

lovely bloke, RIP, , but he did Trade no favours imo, and likewise the world, when helping invent hardhouse ( by distilling / morphing Trade's 8am techno madness down into Tidy Trax 4 Evah)

2. dialectician

dialectician The Main Enemy is at home.

eh i'm all ears what do you think is better?

Don't say detroit because as great as their house is chicago in the 90s was just so so much more jackin. in the 90s detroit was great for techno, especially when the future funk black nation stuff started coming out but sadly it never really took off apart from in UK wonky techno, weirdly.

3. Rutita1

Rutita1 Sassy McFlashy

Absolutely loved Paris is Burning and have been meaning to give Pose a go for a little while.
    The soundtrack in PiB is wicked and interestingly I knew every single tune. MY JAMS al the way though. :cool:

Like Ska I learnt a bit about the ball scene I didn't know, especially the 'houses' thing. On the whole I found the documentary really sensitively done so would reccommend to anyone who hasn't seen it.

I have never watched Rupaul's drag race but said to the BF that from the little I do know about it clearly lends from that tradition...I am mildly curious now so might watch some for reference. The Madonna 'vogue' link is an obvious one but yes for sure, she was imitating not innovating. :)

rutabowa likes this.
  4. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

In a way rupauls drag race is less umm "problematic" than paris is burning, cos paris is burning was made by (and made lots of money for) an outsider of the scene whereas drag race IS the scene (now)... even tho it might not feel as real. At least I've heard that argument being made.

Rutita1 likes this.
  5. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

Ohh also relevant: new orleans bounce. Loads of trans and gay artists in this, also loads of girls booty shaking, I haven't quite worked out how it all fits together tbh.

6. cantsin

going off on a related tangent, for no particular reason : have never been 100 % sure what the precise vibe around Icy Lake was / is about, but as intimated in the description here, if ever anyone was going to try and trace shared lineage back from Ballroom and , umm, Grime ( and more specifically, Eski ) , to the (shared - ish) original House motherlode, it kinda starts ( and arguably, ends ) here :

" Originally released in 1998, Icy Lake is one of only three recordings by Dat Oven, a NYC-based house duo. Championed by house legend Junior Vasquez and rediscovered on Youtube by Total Freedom, the song was embraced by the Night Slugs and Fade to Mind family. A forgotten classic of the weird school, the crew heard a reverse-time capsure in Icy Lake, a message to from an Eski future to the Tribal House scene of 90s NYC. "

nogojones, DaveCinzano and rutabowa like this.
  7. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

Oof I dunno what it is but it is amazing

cantsin likes this.
  8. cantsin

forgot /been some time : whole thing explained here

Poi E and DaveCinzano like this.
  9. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

The tune is quite like "one night in new york city" but less cheesy

cantsin, ska invita and Rutita1 like this.
  10. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Imitating not innovating sums up Madonnas career for me...
    Madonna and her team ripped off the Malcolm Mclaren Deep In Vogue tune (which i now understand sampled an at that time unreleased Paris is Burning and featured dancers from it in the video), even copying the video style

Madonnas tune came out a year after Malcolm's.

Malcolm said: “I found myself on the same bill as Madonna at some Greenpeace concert and I remember her watching my dancers voguing from the side of the stage,” he said.
    “A few weeks later she had stolen all my dancers, brought out her own single and carried it over into the mainstream. The cheek of her!”

This link trys to put together a list of all Madonna's bites - some of it is a bit of a stretch, but theres a definite pattern there, and a number of court cases and out of court settlements.
    Madonna's Long History Of Copyright Infringement

ETA: with the Vogue rip off i don't begrudge it of her as much as at least there is a personal connection... She was a poor NYC girl with a similar mindset, ambition and dance culture to those from the Ball scene, so it doesn't feel utterly cynical. This was the age of "sampling" too

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 9:18 AM
    cantsin, Rutita1 and Poi E like this.
  11. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

what house mixes relating to the thread topic or general house mixes over time, coz there is quite a few of them...

also, what criteria are you using to reach your conclusion?

12. dialectician

dialectician The Main Enemy is at home.

chicago house. chicago house played in gay clubs. i thought this was pretty self-evident? it obviously wouldn't be berlin deep house would it.