Gay dance scene

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ska invita, Dec 13, 2016.

1. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Was thinking about the massive legacy of the gay dance scene yesterday...basically made it.
    And its got me wondering whats going on these days?
    Is there a particular sound? Key producers?

Of my three gay friends ones (primarily) into disco & rare groove, ones into garage and the others into minimal (and has moved to Berlin!)...so that tells me nothing.
    Maybe there's less need for a distinctive scene and sound these days?

Anyone know more?
    In googling found a nice potted history here: SPECIAL FEATURE: THE GAY DNA OF HOUSE MUSIC
    but it seems to stop at the turn of the century

I guess the electro clash thing around mid 2000s could fit the bill? But even thats a decade old now....

Fez909 likes this.
  2. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

didn't all the dance scenes stop then?

3. Beats & Pieces

Beats & Pieces 24601 / 9430 Banned

In a word, no. You would have to account for the slippage in the term 'gay' (just as a start). I'm going to read the link and will get back to you. Also - the lack of citations can be a problem...

4. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

In London, there's a massive hard house gay scene in venues like Fire. It doesn't seemed to have changed much since the late 90s though.
    I'm not that down with the kids any more, so I am not aware of newer, more innovative stuff.
    Everything else I can think of is long-running, though still thriving or now defunct - the disco scene in London with HMD is still going strong, but mainstream pop nights like Popstarz and GAY are gone now - but surely that void has been filled now.

dialectician likes this.
  5. Orang Utan

no, you just stopped, presumably :D

bi0boy likes this.
  6. Beats & Pieces

Beats & Pieces 24601 / 9430 Banned

A more specific (and interesting question) might be to explore and potentially uncover any possible and specific relationship between being 'gay' (not a fixed term) and music expression.

Tom Moulton, as a quick example, was gay. But he was simply an individual who re-worked and remixed music from artists who were not gay, developing a distinctive narrative style that can be usefully contrasted against someone like Walter Gibbons (who was also gay).

7. ska invita

dialectician likes this.
  8. Orang Utan

Bobby O would be worth examining too, as an ostensibly straight individual making very explicitly gay Hi NRG for commercial reasons
    And, by contrast, Arthur Russell, who never made music for money really, but his music is very much infused by his sexuality.

9. Sprocket.

Sprocket. Jive Miguel, he’s in from Bogotá..

Ian Levine was also responsible for a lot of the HI NRG output after he turned onto disco when the Northern Soul scene went into decline.

10. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

One of the best nights in Leeds at the minute is Love Muscle

uk-1008-882531-0-front.jpeg

But other than that, the gay scene in Leeds (that I know about - obvious caveats about being straight and not in the know, etc) seems shite. Awful clubs/bars, playing awful music.

The history of electronic music in indelibly linked to the gay scene though :thumbs:

11. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

I haven't been out on the sceen in Cardiff for a few years (4 to 5 years I guess), but the last time I checked they were still playing the same hardhouse tunes they played in the late 90's. From what I gather all the clubs have changed/ moved location down here and I have a feeling that their music policy has moved further towards cheese as a pack 'em in and sell 'em loads of booze business strategy.

12. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Share knowledge, don't weaponize it

There was a bhangra kind of vibe at the local club a few months back. In the main room it was the usual mix of pop, classics, bit of house. Probably all dated, I don't do the "trendy" clubs :D

13. Plumdaff

Plumdaff joy in people

I've been out to a few drag nights in Cardiff over the past year and after the acts the music played is always unchangeable from the late 90s, with the odd addition of the odd Rupaul track that sounds like it could've been made in the '90s.

14. ska invita

Is this kind of Berlinesque techno/trance thing related to the gay scene/gay producers?

dialectician ?

15. dialectician

dialectician The Main Enemy is at home.

not really intentionally. not i hate models type stuff. but stuff like Lotic is. check out the track called phlegm off the heterocetera ep. they tend to call it post-club (from jersey club/baltimore club/new orleans bounce) basically the merger of dance music with hip hop. these tracks sounded like weird US takes on grime. other producers were Shygirl, Elysia Crampton and M.E.S.H.

Then you had weird crews like mutualism doing edits of Movado when I lived in Leeds and went to the approximation of these sorts of parties. loads of Young Thug, Missy Elliot and Lil Kim were dropped of course. Absolutely no disco. rare groove? forget it - not saying this dismissively it's history to these people it's not in their DNA. might as well be our hard bop to them - well, I am them but a lot of them in the UK got into dance music after the post-2012 explosion.

I met some great people but it got to the point where you had to keep a log of who beefed with who on twitter and which people went to which spaces and what you could say to who without getting an earful of identity politics. tragically comedic, but also depressing.

Another producer worth checking is angel ho, but her earlier stuff when she wasn't signed to hyperdub. ascension ep especially, weird industrial bumpy mutations.

A lot of these people are far more invested in pop music than i am so when they get signed to a big label (like some junglists we know) they try aim for the conceptual and it turns out with mixed results, and generally reaks too heavily of that art school vibe.

But that's just the circle of life.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    crossthebreeze and ska invita like this.
  16. dialectician

there's also vogue house in the trans clubbing scene in Oakland. I know people like night slugs try to bring it here but it never captures the real deal imo.

this is the real shit, quite like masters of work meets UK funky.

17. dialectician

but my knowledge is about 3 years out of date so take from all i said what you will.

18. dialectician

Yes but only because it gets played in a gay club, Berghain. most of the people making it are straight though, if not some of them actively... well. long story. loads of dickheads about in techno these days is all I'm saying. people pulling teenage edgelord poses. quite sad.

crossthebreeze likes this.
  19. dialectician

eris drew, violet and ccl also producers to check on the queer techno/whatever scene.

Octo Octa is trans and plays deeper house in those crowds. Honey Dijon of course chicago house royalty by this point, well she should be, at any rate.

20. dialectician

sort of someone i chat to sometimes on the internet.

Don't really know much about her though.

crackin mix anyway, 100% grinding hardcore.

crossthebreeze likes this.
  21. rubbershoes

rubbershoes not the only raver in the village

This track sums up one part of the 90s gay dance scene

RIP Tony

Wookey, Poi E, ska invita and 2 others like this.
  22. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

did anyone catch 'paris is burning' on iplayer, a good look at the 80s gay black voguing and ball scene in 80s nyc. catch some classic house tunes in the background.

Wookey likes this.
  23. ska invita

good spot
    up for two months still
    BBC iPlayer - Arena - Paris Is Burning
    an old Arena - what a great series that was

Wookey likes this.
  24. ska invita

this was an amazing watch - learnt a lot... very bitter sweet...

i never knew about the 'House of' thing, that was really interesting...i recognised a bit of that section of the film as sampled in the intro to this (killer) tune
    ...never quite got the context before

25. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

Paris Is Burning is a classic.

"Pose" is also on the iplayer at the moment, a fictionised series set in the scene shown in Paris is Burning. Well worth watching, good music too. It gets a bit cheesy at points tho.

26. moody

this samples video as well as audio from the doc, would love to know what the opening piece of music is

27. dialectician

90s chicago amazing amazing mixtape.

28. dialectician

maybe the best house mix ever actually come to think about it.

29. moody

that's a bold statement.

Fez909 likes this.
  30. cantsin

cantsin Well-Known Member

Rutita1 likes this.