1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gavin Roses Contract expires end of July

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Lucy Fur, May 2, 2017.

1. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

There must have been some rum involved somewhere?

vornstyle76 likes this.
  2. cambelt

cambelt Well-Known Member

Depends how long they can hold Champion Hill as an asset really. If they need to develop it within a couple of years, yes then they need to work with the club but if they can play the long game and run the club into the ground then they don't. Its a lot easier to get planning permission for a derelict site than on a vibrant football club. Greendale won't even be an issue then as it's only relevant to us getting a new ground.

3. YTC

YTC Human Man

Exactly this. It's in their interest to grind the club down.

'Theoretical' Step one, remove the manager who's attracted all the attention over the last 8 years.

Radical-Cliff likes this.
  4. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Meadows can put the club out of business but the covenant still remains.

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What I've said from day one. Property developers always do what property developers do - and that's fill their fat greedy wallets with as much cash as they can stuff in them. They don't give a shit about anything else but that, but they can do a pretty good impression of caring if there's a chance that their latest multi-million project may not go through.

Radical-Cliff, darryl and clog like this.
  6. Moroccan Sunset

It could be this, or it could just be that they've had enough and don't want to put any more money in. They must have blown quite a lot already for a build that hasn't come off.

I wonder if they're doing this to grind us down or to just save on costs. If it's the latter, we need a buyer.

7. Griff_Turnstile

Griff_Turnstile Agenda confused turnstile operator

This sounds like the work of bean counters. It bears no logic to enforce the sort of budget cuts that will undo all of the hard work both on and off the field over the few years. The will and support of the fans is key to the Meadows proposal as is the involve of Gavin's ASPIRE Academy and to lose all that would be detrimental to Meadows case with Southwark Council. Had the team been promoted to National League South costs would almost certainly be much higher with travelling etc whilst revenue might actually have slipped or remained stagnant with less games and later entry into knockout competitions. What the owners really must get their heads around is not decreasing investment but maximising revenue on a facility which is pretty much redundant when Dulwich do not have a game.

8. YTC

YTC Human Man

either way it doesnt make sense, they've cut back on a lot, and if anything we're taking more money than ever. They certainly are not sweating the assets of the club house itself, which is drastically underutilized. But then again, if they did, it would be harder to convince the council they needed to knock it down for houses..

9. Moroccan Sunset

I don't think Meadows have even attempted to do that. At least Matt Rimmer from Hadley seemed to be working quite hard behind the scenes.

10. YTC

YTC Human Man

Bang on.

11. Taper

Taper Well-Known Member

One assumes there's a bit of brinkmanship here on Gavin's part. If I was a bean-counter working for an organisation with no long term interest in the club I'd open up with a low budget. And if I was Gavin I would play the media game in response. Possible I suppose Gavin is looking to move out anyway and this would give him cover.

12. Moroccan Sunset

Tbh, I think if Gav wanted to go, he'd just go. I don't think he really does smoke and mirrors.

I think the fact that he has gone public with it, rather than just resigning shows that he wants to stay.

Bloody tragic, really.

13. YTC

YTC Human Man

I'd imagine he's had offers before this point. He's fairly high profile for someone at this level. I do think he really cares about the club, perhaps he's just putting pressure on them via the press.

14. Moroccan Sunset

Bromley tried to poach him on an annual basis a few seasons back when Goldberg was down there. He's now at Welling and I know he tried to get Gav fairly recently (i.e. within the last 12 months). I'd imagine they'll be at the front of the queue.

15. Griff_Turnstile

One of the key sticking points will always be the ASPIRE Academy, something very dear to Gavin's heart and a project he would feel difficult to abandon merely for the sake of personal ambition. I always like to think that Gavin would only move upwards were a natural successor was in place and ASPIRE was established at the heart of the Dulwich Hamlet ethos. I hope to God I'm not wrong

16. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

I totally understand the anger - but need to focus on constructive response to events - I hope and trust the DH Supporters Trust will be able to offer some constructive suggestions and/or clarifications. The more facts we have the better fans can respond. What we don't need is people going off at tangents or into a spiral of despair.
    Need to remain focused and united

Jimbob73 and Buffalo Bill like this.
  17. vornstyle76

vornstyle76 Vorn Chic Vorn Genre

Considering how Aspire's social enterprise stuff is basically a big part of the proposed development's corporate responsibility and likely Section 106 crumbs (agreements with the council that are supposed to benefit the public) you'd have to worry *if* they were willing to lose Gavin the club would be entering an existential threat.
    I think covenants are easier to work round than metropolitan open land, and are quite vague. Like, a tennis court in the middle of a load of housing could do it.

Radical-Cliff, darryl and YTC like this.
  18. Silkman72

Silkman72 Well-Known Member

Reading this is a crying shame , seeing what a fan base you have built up and how your club interacts with the local community it would be tragic to see your club run into the ground. Although not in the same position we have a benevolent owner with no interest in the club who won't let it go for obvious reasons so my sympathies are with you

19. Moroccan Sunset

Apparently the deficit is £40k. Is there a way we could crowdfund straight to the 12th Man?

20. vornstyle76

vornstyle76 Vorn Chic Vorn Genre

Hmmm... reckon that'd be difficult, especially at short notice. It'd be equivalent the entire average attendance paying £30 each. Or the 500-odd hardcore paying £80 each.

Incidentally, 40,000 is roughly the season just gone's total home attendance. And I notice entrance has gone up a quid.

darryl, YTC and Moroccan Sunset like this.
  21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'd be happy to fundraise and sling my own cash in, but only when there's some sort of guarantee that the shitehawk developers won't change their terms or do another of their Dr Who-like regeneration capers and become another 'new' company..

22. Taper

Taper Well-Known Member

We could match-fund - so £10 a month from 200 people (say) on DD. I'd do it.

crocustim likes this.
  23. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

I refuse to do any more dhfc related direct debits until I win the 100 club, which i doubt even exists. takkforalt

24. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Always seek revenge against those that cause damage.

25. scousedom

scousedom Well-Known Member

Could we crowd-fund into an escrow account? To be payable to the owners on practical completion of the stadium. That way they're incentivised in the right way...? They can't just take the money and screw the club over anyway (as editor is rightly suspicious of), but they know they will get their money once they deliver for the long-term good of the club.

26. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Stick with...waiting to see what happens....

And continue to support the '12th Man' scheme....

I'll wager there's some 'angry people' on here and elsewhere who've never actually chucked a single coin in the match day bucket...

27. Moroccan Sunset

I don't know if I'm reading too much into this, but this got published on the Ryman League Pitchero yesterday. If you can look beyond the appalling grammatical errors, there looks like there's a few interesting comments from Gavin:

Rose Knows Dulwich Have Mental Strength - Pitchero Non-League

In particular:

“We’ve bounced back before from disappointments and hopefully we can do that again, I’m sure of it – we’re a strong group and a strong club.

“We know we’re mentally capable and once we’ve dusted ourselves down after a week or so and get over what happened on Monday.”

Has someone come across a map leading to buried treasure worth £40k in the last 24 hours? Come on. Own Up.

editor likes this.
  28. Griff_Turnstile

Would that actually be a wise idea? Should it prove successful the owners would most likely cut their investment further leaving the fans to pick up an even greater tab. The thing here is make use of our vocal muscle to make Meadows aware that those letters of support for the scheme could just as easily be withdrawn should severing arteries to Gavin's budget force the management, players and Academy to upsticks and go. Hopefully we'll hear whether a deal has been brokered PDQ

29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Is the integrity of their anger and passion dependent on whether they can afford to/or choose to support the club in this particular manner?

There's shitloads of posters here who have never contributed towards the costs of running this site but that doesn't make their opinion any less valid.

clog, blueheaven and B.I.G like this.
  30. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

TBF I don't ever remember being asked. Unlike any time ever that I have ventured onto Wikipedia or The Grauniad's website.