Gary Lineker Sued for Libel

Discussion in 'football' started by Epicurus, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Epicurus

Epicurus New Member

Former England football star Gary Lineker is being sued for libel in the High Court by Liverpool player Harry Kewell.

Former England football star Gary Lineker is being sued for libel in the High Court by Liverpool player Harry Kewell.

It will be heard by Mr Justice Eady and a jury at London's Law Courts.

Former England captain Lineker is named as first defendant in the proceedings.

Kewell alleges that the article, published in July 2003, was defamatory of him, claiming that it discredited him.

When the legal action was first announced last year, The Sunday Telegraph issued a statement saying: "We were surprised that Harry Kewell decided to issue a writ 10 months after the article was published.

"Mr Lineker is entitled to express his opinions, which are respected for their integrity throughout the world of soccer."

2. ziconess

ziconess Waving not drowning

Kewell's obviously out to get as much money as possible before he fucks off out of the country, what a twat.

3. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

what did lineker say?

and why is kewel such an incredible sulk?

<consults lawyers in case kewel sues>

4. Chuck Wilson

Chuck Wilson Banned Banned

Another great bargain from Gerrard Houllier and on ethat illustrates the dark side of Liverpool FC.

5. chieftain

chieftain Mega Gammon

He said "Kewell is fucking shite"

Kewell disagreed

the rest of us all agreed with the boy lineker

6. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

lineker could probaby get thousands of witnesses for his defence

7. g force

g force Affects Shatner's Basoon

I imagine every LFC season ticket holder could appear for the defence.

Kewell manages to reach new levels of twatishness. Amazing, truly amazing...

8. fela fan

fela fan sunny thailand

He's australian.

Don't worry about it. He had no choice.

9. kea

kea Banned Banned

haven't read the original article but i would imagine that if it falls within the bounds of reasonable criticism, linekar will succesfully use the defence of fair comment, and the judge will tell kewell to stop being so bloody sensitive.
    unless kewell can demonstrate clear financial loss or professional loss (of reputation etc) from that specific article, which is unlikely. and even then, 'fair comment' should apply.

more on fair comment -

http://www.bccla.org/positions/freespeech/93libel.html

10. chieftain

chieftain Mega Gammon

lol

11. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Official Twitter Liaison Officer

Lineker only needs a jury trial to get off.

Apart from promoting bad snacks for kids I have the utmost respect for the man.

12. Epicurus

Epicurus New Member

If the were talking about his playing ability maybe it could be fair comment, but it is that Linker implied that Kewell knew about the £2M his “agent” got from the transfer and Kewell claims it isn’t his business, if he had the skills he would have sorted out his own contract but he doesn’t and therefore employed an agent.

13. DexterTCN

They seem to be talking about Kewell's move from Leeds. Casting my mind back the whole thing was pretty dubious at the time, Leeds could only get £5 mill for him. £2 mill of that seems to ahve gone to Kewell's agent.

story on BBC

I hope Kewell loses this case and has to pay costs.

14. ch750536

ch750536 Every little counts

Australian international Harry Kewell has begun his libel action against former England captain Gary Lineker*following comments about his move to English Premier League club Liverpool in 2003.* Both men were in court*this week for a case in which a jury must decide whether a newspaper article written by Lineker after Kewell's switch from Leeds United was libellous. The article said Kewell and his agent Bernie Mandic had "cleverly circumvented" rules on transfer negotiations, criticising the Australian for a deal that earned Mandic a fee of £2 million. Kewell's counsel Andrew Monson told the jury that overall the article suggested Kewell had "willingly participated in a deeply dishonourable and financially dubious" transfer.* According to Monson, the article met the legal tests necessary to render it defamatory.* In addition to suing Lineker, Kewell is also suing the Sunday Telegraph publishers and their sports editor, John Ryan.* All three deny the article was defamatory. Lineker has been a BBC television presenter since his playing career as a prolific striker was ended by a toe injury in 1994 at 33.

15. billy_bob

billy_bob contents may have settled during transit

If he'd sued him for being a jug-eared twat flogging junk food to already-obese children I'd have more sympathy.

16. DexterTCN

So Mandic was Kewell's 'agent' but wasn't licensed. Allowing him to approach any club etc without breaking rules.

I hope the clubs (Leeds, Liverpool) are hauled up before the FA for this.