Game of Thrones :: Series Eight Confirmed for 2019

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by Nine Bob Note, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Nine Bob Note

Nine Bob Note Straight for Servalan

Well that's it, I may as well just hibernate.

The next season of Game of Thrones finally has a release date, and it's not good

Someone poke the old man with stick, just make sure he's still breathing...

2. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

I don't get why HBO announced this, they don't even give us a month. They may as well have said season 8 premieres on December 31 2019

3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

4. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank We kill the flame

5. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

Ned has been asked to become the King's Hand.

mojo pixy, quimcunx, CNT36 and 4 others like this.
  6. SpookyFrank

And I'm sure that will go well.

BristolEcho and mojo pixy like this.
  7. donkyboy

donkyboy Crazy cat man

Plenty of other shows to keep one occupied while you wait.

8. Nine Bob Note

Nine Bob Note Straight for Servalan

Nothing comes close. I paused my first watch through of Breaking Bad when the then new series of Thrones started as there was little point in trying to watch anything else.

9. PursuedByBears

PursuedByBears Go stick your head in a pig

I've really lost interest in the books now they've been so overtaken by the show.

10. Jon-of-arc

Jon-of-arc Fully self-actualised

So the first teaser is out. Very slick, but tells us literally nothing. Apart from the release date, April 2019. I think we can officially start to get excited now...

11. SpookyFrank

Six episodes left, so likely to be even more packed with stuff than the previous season, possibly at the expense of all those great character moments in gloomy halls.

Littlefinger's death amongst other things narrows the scope of possibilties. That moment was almost symbolic of the show giving up on intrigue and nuance and just resolving everything in the most epic way possible. Martin has hinted that he won't kill off Baelish in the books, probably because he gets that he and Varys between them represent the crux of the whole story.

mojo pixy and Reno like this.
  12. Jon-of-arc

Yeah, I sort of want to see Littlefingers plans played through to some kind of end conclusion. Him getting busted by a psychic and then murdered just felt kind of unfulfilling. Like, what was his real end goal? Wasn't there some grand plan that we'll never find out now? Why was he playing so many sides against each other? Did he have a "true' loyalty, apart from to himself?

mojo pixy likes this.
  13. SpookyFrank

He had no loyalty to anyone and that's what got him in the end. Nobody had his back.

14. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

How much behind the books published thus far are the TV series? I did feel the last series ran at a much faster pace than all the previous ones.

Given what a massive success the tv series are, I see little reason for trying to cram too much into six episodes.

15. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

The TV series is ahead of the books since season 6. I agree, the last season felt rushed, more action than character development.

Apparently most of the episodes for the last season are going to be close to feature length.

T & P likes this.
  16. Jon-of-arc

I think the reality of trying to be too close to the books caught up with them, just in terms of budgets and timescales. Series 1 was pretty close to book 1, I think. Certainly what I read of it, the first couple of hundred pages, there wasn't much that wasn't in the show.

But then, as time goes on and you're trying to transfer a sprawling fantasy epic of books that get longer and longer, adding more and more characters and sub-plots, onto TV, you become aware that some of your cast members who weren't even teenagers when the show started are now in their twenties, that costs are going up and up for filming, there's a need for more and more elaborate special effects and battles, all that stuff, well, you might start to see a need to trim the fat from the books.

I think they might have managed a more even pace, had the books been completed when scripting started, but, for the reasons mentioned above, they're having to cram so much to the final two seasons that it does feel a bit rushed. Still great TV, though.

17. SpookyFrank

The last two (published) books were so sprawling and overstuffed with characters and plotlines that they would have been impossible to adapt faithfully. And because there are so many plots nothing really develops or resolves. There are about seven major cliffhangers by the end of a Dance With Dragons, which is absurd.