1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Galleries?

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Stanley Edwards, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards m©JiŢoËŞ for BŘe@ĸƑaƽƮ

I'm interested in hearing about other peoples experiences with gallery representation.

All galleries - all media - all subjects.

I have very limited experience. What would you consider a fair deal beyond commission? How much promotion would you expect from the gallery, or yourself etc...

2. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

My last gallery got 40%, but that was a while ago.

One recently offered me a slot at 50%, plus I had to pay them cash up front to display my work. I told them to stick it up their ass.

My personal opinion is that the gallery system is on its way out. Artists can represent themselves better on the internet, than galleries generally do. And you can be certain you have your own interests at heart.

Other people's experiences may vary.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  3. Stanley Edwards

Yep. Paying cash to exhibit will not be an option. 22 large format oil paintings are going to take a lot of investment. I need around €2,500 from each painting. I know from experience that it is not easy to find an artist with a large collection of work. A few galleries have contacted me. No talk about financial stuff yet, but I know they are well respected galleries with good client lists (the internet can't get you a list of ready and willing buyers recommended by established dealers). I am quite happy to pay 60% commission if they sell for €6,000, and the gallery do all the brochure and publicity. I'm really not sure how much I would be expected to do after handing over paintings. Would I have to pay for travel and stuff? I will be totally skint by the time I get there.

I have no idea how it works at this level, but I can't see any middle ground between selling personally, face to face on the street, or via internet contacts and dealing with top names in fashionable cities. There is no money anywhere else!

4. Yuwipi Woman

My sense is that the higher end the gallery, the larger percentage they will ask for.

I've had work at non-profit places for a little as 10%, but they weren't very good at selling work. I had the best luck at the 40% gallery. If you have to part with 60% and they sell a lot of your work, for higher prices, its might be worth listing with them. (I've seen the higher end galleries sell work for $20,0000 to $150,000 per painting and use a lottery system to choose who got the work on offer. That only applies to really hot artists. I'm not in that class.)

Anyone who asks for cash up front is probably a scam, who won't sell much for you anyway.

5. Stanley Edwards

I don't know anyone to ask. Not connected in these circles :D

Research on the web suggests the curators are the real movers these days. Guess I will learn as I go. It is a huge investment of me and everything I have. On the other hand it is very tempting to think 'fuck it. I am having fun anyway. I'll take the next good meal thanks'.

6. Yuwipi Woman

That wouldn't surprise me. I've known a few curators and they seem to prize their "relationship" to various artists. This is often a prelude to purchasing work.

I saw one curator with a relationship with a gallery in NYC. He bought a butt-load of work from them for a public collection, and received a job offer from them a couple months later. There's a lot of questionable behavior in the art world, but I'm sure you knew that. :D

In any case, good luck with it.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  7. Stanley Edwards

What is a curator today?

I am a perfectly capable salesman with a marketing background. I am no business man - business means money management :( If I had the whole day to just sell stock I could do it very well on the internet. All I really want to do is paint.

I keep getting emails from 'enterprising kids' :D

Now I wonder if the new webmasters and online sellers are going to be the future. Like you say, the gallery model could well be on the way out. I'm sometimes tempted to give one of them a shot, but I think I'm going to try the established model first.