1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaining work as a 'nobody' artist.

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Stanley Edwards, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

It doesn't work as well on FB. Twitter gets more respect on the business front for some reason. Possibly, because established media often quote Twitter quotes giving them more validity than FB.

Selling photography via the web can simply be a numbers game. However, you need almighty, huge numbers to get there. The best way to sell yourself as a photographer is to meet people who may need to use your services and leave a hard copy portfolio with them for a week, or so. Banging on doors is still the best option.

2. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

but you haven't been a photographer in years :confused:

Pickman's model likes this.
  3. Stanley Edwards

I have employed photographers in the past. Working for advertising agencies and graphic design studios. I never worked commercially as a photographer myself - just exhibited at places like The Photographers Gallery.

Looking through portfolios left by photographers was a highlight of the week. Most design companies would set time aside to view photographers portfolios at the beginning of the week.

I am still an award nominated photographer. I just don't publish, or exhibit these days. I may do soon.

What's your beef?

4. wayward bob

i have no beef. i'm merely questioning the reliability of your advice re sales and opportunities *right now* esp w/regard to social media vs "banging on doors".

muscovyduck and Pickman's model like this.
  5. Stanley Edwards

At your loss then.

"Banging on doors" is always the best approach. You can try knocking politely if you like also. This will also get better results than online promotion. Social media is not a way to sell anything other than brands.

6. wayward bob

no worries :)

7. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

I sent the Bomberos 25 euros during the terrible forest fires in the North and contributed to the collection in one of the bars for the victims of the fires.Were you thinking of auctioning one of your paintings? not sure if that might be tax deductable or do you think a pair of gloves or a bottle of whiskey might be less hassle and easier to drop off ?

8. Stanley Edwards

Well, I would actually have to make the effort to buy a nice bottle of whisky and pair of fire proof gloves, rather than just dropping a convenience. More than that, I actually talk to them and ask 'what is the best way to donate'.

And, why the fuck are people here suddenly believing Pickman's tax evading comments? Why do you believe such a dumb fuck?

Why? Well, I can tell you why - it is because you are not paying tax into the Portuguese system are you? You think a few notes into a dropping box is sufficient. You tread very carefully here mate.

9. bimble

bimble noisy but small

This is what makes Stanley Edwards so alluring as a romantic Artist and friend to struggling young writers everywhere. Irresistible.

10. Stanley Edwards

Ta!

11. bimble

bimble noisy but small

oh shit, i forgot to turn the obvious irony font on. :mad:
    Seriously, Stanley, what happens when you get angry in real life when somebody says something you don't agree with ?

muscovyduck likes this.
  12. Stanley Edwards

I make them look incredibly stupid in front of a crowd of onlookers.

I am not a violent person at all. However, I know how to scare people when I need to. Know how to psyche them down to mush. Know how to look after my mates and control situations. You seriously wouldn't want to fuck with me even though you know I am not going to get physically violent. People rely on me as a peace keeper :) Your best mate - or, your worst enemy.

13. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

You're starting to sound like a bit of a tool, TBH. Bandying threats around like you're you're Jean Claude Van Edwards.
    If this is how you act IRL then I'm not surprised people wouldn't want to fuck with you. They'd think you're the village idiot and walk away.

14. Stanley Edwards

People here have accused me of being a sexual stalker, and a tax evader amongst many other things. Why aren't you pointing fingers at them?

I have lived the way I have lived for many years relying on my skills as a negotiator and peace keeper above all else. However, when someone is putting a knife to your throat you need to be ready. There is always a strong sense of comradery amongst street people. There has to be. We look after each other. People know they are safe in my company.

No Jean Claude macho crap. Quite the opposite in fact. You fuck with my mates - you fuck with the Devil!

Sorry.

15. The39thStep

Bless.

16. Stanley Edwards

Tax evading ex-pat scum :p

17. The39thStep

Actually Stan I'm a resident and home owner so all taxes paid on earnings, car taxed, council tax on house etc and I'm part of the local Portuguese community not sitting night after night by myself in a bar mouthing off at people on a laptop .

18. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

You’re right, it is useful for finding out what is going on (sometimes) and talking to other artists, particularly in more digital areas. I should really have said that just “maintaining” a social account and putting your stuff up I n it is not going to go far.

19. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Could you prove me wrong and post your last two tax returns then? Post up something showing you've been paying tax in Spain and Portugal and I'll apologise.

Badgers likes this.
  20. wayward bob

i do think it's very much horses-for-courses too.

if you're active locally in a social or professional "scene" - or visible on the streets, stan :) - it provides you with networking opportunities. if you're not active in that way you miss out massively.

for many people making money from art can only start as a small-time endeavour, alongside other work/caring commitments. location or health or mobility issues can mean there is no "scene" within reach. in which case the increase in parallel networks online can be a really important way of getting your work out there, nationally and internationally :cool:

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Less bare-chested macho bellowing please.

muscovyduck and bimble like this.
  22. Pickman's model

this is more pathetic than scary

23. Stanley Edwards

Fuck that.

I am currently in the process of becoming resident in Portugal. It is a relatively easy process compared to Spain. Fiscal number first. Then you need to substantiate your permanent address, so I am only just at the start. I don't expect to receive a tax demand for almost Two years.

I didn't pay tax in Spain. It was never an option to work self-employed within the Spanish system. You have to pay €260/month in compulsory NI (equivalent) contributions. If you pay late, you get a fine. It can very quickly spiral into a nasty debt. That €260/month represents good value as a family person, because it covers your entire immediate family for healthcare. As a single person, it makes more sense to pay €60/month for basic private cover. I never had savings, or any end of year profit in Spain. There wasn't really anything to declare, and I wasn't actually resident. My base was Spain for an average of 8 weeks a year, but I was always moving. In the Spanish health system, but not using it. Not that this counts in your book, but I did play my part (initiated it) in seeing charities in Spain receive over €80,000. I'm happy with that.

Now I have decided to settle in Portugal (it was always going to be Granada, but the current situation/government make that too difficult), I will be resident and paying tax as a non-national resident. However, I don't expect to make much profit.

My gross income looks impressive, but the costs of basic necessities as a travelling person wipe out all profit. My finances on the whole are pretty insignificant these days. I like things this way. If I am not going hungry, always have a bed, beer and tobacco I am very happy. As we age, health becomes more of a consideration. Healthcare costs.

Portugal is actually a very fair place to live as a non-national EU citizen. Hopefully Brexit isn't going to fuck that up.

24. Stanley Edwards

Yeah, sorry. Something got in my bonnet last night. I'm over it.

25. Pickman's model

right. 'never an option to work self-employed within the spanish system'. your claim seems to me to be contradicted by this:

upload_2017-12-11_15-29-33.png
    Taxes and social security for freelancers and the self-employed in Spain

thank you for agreeing with me that you had been evading taxes.

26. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Can you two not just give it a rest?

27. Stanley Edwards

28. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt & dyslexic cnut.

Bar tabs are not legitimate business expenses.

29. Pickman's model

i suppose you've been getting round royal decree 240/07 by simply not planning to be resident in spain for more than three months.