Gaining work as a 'nobody' artist.

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Stanley Edwards, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

My current outgoings on accommodation and food are over €1,300/month. This is the trap. I have managed to save enough to pay deposit, advance rent, agents fees etc to get a nice house for €250/month. It makes a huge difference financially. Even the crummiest of hotels in Lisbon is not cheap.

I am poor, because food and beds cost a lot of money day to day in this situation. The first €40 I make each day is my bed and food. After that comes luxuries - beer, tobacco etc. My gross income is exceptionally high in average terms. Controlling outgoings is the task.

2. Stanley Edwards

No. I pay all tax due.

Now you fuck off with your insinuating fucking pathetic crap mind.

3. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Good luck with the house, it’ll probably feel great having your own kitchen and stuff.

4. Stanley Edwards

Community Care workers don't count.

5. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Ah yes, "when in doubt make it mental", your auld watchword when claims your critics are sad bitter loser fucks don't cut the mustard.

existentialist likes this.
  6. Stanley Edwards

Well, thank you. It is in a very special place. I'll post an open invitation to all here another day, but I want to secure a plot of land first ;) For many reasons, it is going to become a very desirable place to live. I don't need luck. What I do need is much improved Portuguese, but most of the locals are willing to help there.

7. Stanley Edwards

It is blatantly obvious to all reading here that you are a sad, bitter, loser fuck. My words are irrelevant.

8. Pickman's model

You missed out jealous and mentally ill.

If your words are irrelevant then there's no need to repeat them in the hope they gain some validity

9. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

Ah, right. I assumed you were sleeping on the streets, with the odd B&B thrown in.
    That's a good price for a house. I hope it all works out for you. It has to be better than your current situation.

10. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

He will have a shock when it comes to electricity bills in Portugal. Internet is about the same as UK, some houses have central heating mainly in cities but in the countryside its log burners.Water isnt cheap as well. it rains a lot more in the north , but because of the population size theres a water shortage . Down here in the South its rained on three days since May you try having a garden without watering every day.However joining the rat race and renting a house makes more sense than living in hostels and is cheaper, though I would guess that its going to be a big shift in lifestyle spending anytime at home.

Pickman's model likes this.
  11. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Another Stan thread is precisely what this forum needed, I was just thinking.

12. Pickman's model

Not to mention buying a load of stuff unless it comes fully furnished and with cutlery etc

13. Stanley Edwards

My 'current' situation has been pretty constant for 15 years, or more. If I decide to stay in a city I find a place - cheap room in a cheap house/squat/pension, or sleeping out. I eat in restaurants twice a day. Drink lots of beer with no boss to tell me I can't. Smoke freely. Stuff some cash in the bank at the end of the day. Invite people to join me. It is not a bad situation at all really.

I work on the streets for the majority of my time, so mix with street people and share my life with them.

Many people assume I have nothing. And, I don't much of the time. I am always very grateful for any 'bonuses' that come my way. However, there is far less financial stress in my life today compared to the days when I was earning 70K+ a year. I have more free time, more time to spend painting, more time to give to people who just need someone...

You learn about different values.

I am now in a cafe charging my laptop before I go take a menu of the day at my favourite eatery. Hotels are chocker, because it is Spanish holidays. It is a very mild night. Bed will cost €45 minimum, so I may well just party through the night and get a few hours in before I start work in the morning (1PM, possibly).

Whatever, I fully expect to net €200 tomorrow.

14. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

There are some points to be made about social media and publicity. Social popularity is very shallow in terms of actually getting work IME unless you plan to work entirely within social and be an Instagram Influencer or something (which basically isn't likely to happen, given the ratio of Instagram users to Instagram users that get paid for it, and increasing scepticism in the groups that might pay them as to how much use they actually are - this is a tiny bubble waiting to pop IMO). It's useful pretty much only as a portfolio as far as I can see, and a personal site would do that better. I don't plan on trying to make money from photography myself but if I was going to, I'd definitely set up a personal site and just use social with some teaser photos to maintain a presence if someone searches that network.

15. Stanley Edwards

Good for you.

16. Stanley Edwards

Yep. That is about it.

Too many people believing the 'viral'. Word of mouth on a day to day basis probably makes 1,000,000 hits on Instagram worthless.

17. The39thStep

Portuguese minimum wage is around 560 euros a month

Riklet and Pickman's model like this.
  18. Stanley Edwards

Well, yes, quite.

Lisbon is wide open presently. The big money has yet to take control. It is piss easy.

Absolutely no problem for me working 2 days a month to cover rent, electricity, gas... just on the streets of Lisbon. On top of that, I am picking up very good commissions. This city is booming, and nobody is excluded ATM. Loads of rich people buying apartments who love the idea of commissioning an artist for some original art. Especially fully loaded Brazilian women :)

I will be working everyday from now until the end of January. Averaging €80 a day gross with at least €30 going in the bank. The house I am renting is a 2 hour trip from Lisbon, but I only expect to have to do that once a week. Two days a week in Lisbon, Five days painting in the village.

PERFECT :)

weltweit likes this.
  19. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

Basically Stan, a former City worker who lived comfortably in London is now living it up in Portugal as a well paid semi-ininerant Street artist. Netting thousands a month in cash and living the dream. 2 restaurants and plenty of beers a day. And doubtlessly doing good deeds along with some stupid posts here, I wont dispute some street people just need some genuine interaction and comversation, and I won't criticise your lifestyle, Stan, and I think some people are far too judgemental of you as a person, at times. And I'm pleased your art is doing well and hip Portugal 2017 is a good place for you right now. But Jesus, that Spanish article is a load of gushing shit, and this is Urban75 and we need a sense of perspective. I may translate it tomorrow so we can all cringe properly, in fact. It is fucking dismal.

So anyway. An adventurous boho street artist netting 5 times the local salary and boasting of the new house and new wealth and not being a tefl teacher, student or whatever, but rather a real member of society. Which is maybe partly true. Still, live the dream by all means but dont pretend you're any better than anyone on the costas living off the pension, reading the papers over a beer in the sun. Picking vegetables for minimum wage in brutal heat in indentured servitude you are not.

As for some kind of model we should all aspire to, well Jesus fucking christ. Its the pretentions which make it sickening. Last thing Portugal needs is more wandering foraging creatives, frankly. Or awful young talented digital nomad cunts of my generation. Maybe more money for someone like my friend's dad, however, who has worked as a volunteer fireman for years (no easy cash for fireman in portugal even with dozens dead this year), saving many lives would be a better example. Never been paid a penny. A real member of society, with no stupid journo to write verbose Spanish nonsense ahout him. I know who I'd rather buy a beer. In fact if there's any dosh sloshing around your bank once new house and bills are paid, Stan, would defo be a worthy cause there.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  20. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

Despite evening's arrival, some light remains. So too do those who remain sat outside the bar, determined to make the most of what the good weather has brought them. I left Stanley in the square, awaiting the next curious passerby, or, even with luck a buyer. Behind him lie the 10 metre tall Pelourinho column, built following the 1755 earthquake, which towers over him, and the town hall, where the Portuguese Republic was declared 107 years ago. Here indeed is where Stanley takes on the role of the artist on a daily basis, loyal to those principles which led men to ask themselves a question. What was the point in dominating the world if they had no time to then enjoy it?

A Spanish Lorrie Penny:thumbs:

21. The39thStep

22. Pickman's model

Let no one say itinerant artists shirked their role in the gentrification of lisbon

The39thStep likes this.
  23. Stanley Edwards

I like her style. As I said before, she has a very engaging style. Wish her all the best of luck, but doubt she needs much - she is very good at what she wants to do professionally.

24. Stanley Edwards

Fuck you.

But, thanks for congratulating me for managing to get the cash together to rent a very modest home. From the streets with nothing. Portuguese bomberos aren't actually voluntary are they? Not that I don't fully appreciate their work, but it is work, and they get paid for it.

I am working 10 hours a day everyday presently just to get set-up. I am registering in the Portuguese system, paying tax, doing all the paperwork etc. That's 10 hours a day, 7 days a week. Don't give me shit for doing what I can in the World we all live in. I don't think I am superior to anyone. I am equal to all regardless. That means I have no more respect for you than I do myself.

On the door of my new home, I will hang a notice that reads "ALL WELCOME EXCEPT FOR BELIEVERS IN CHEM TRAILS AND RIKLET".

:)

Tosser. You can dis me all you like here, but dis innocent friends who are doing me favours whilst getting on in life and you are fucking with the Devil himself mate. Seriously. Nobody fucks with my mates and gets away with it. You pathetic, cowardly little shit.

25. Stanley Edwards

Oh, and your translation is shit. Misses the general vibe by a HUGE mile.

Fuck, you've made me angry. Hope we never meet.

26. The39thStep

Are yopu doing the tax returns yourself Stan or have you got an acountant? I find it complicated to say the least especially with the IVA.

Pickman's model likes this.
  27. extra dry

extra dry Happy to be here

I can't help but thing you are going to place a lot of anger in your next works.

28. Stanley Edwards

I have a friend who is more interested in money and form filling than I am. She is also a very good language teacher ;)

The Portuguese system is much better for me than Spain was - I didn't even bother with Spain as a self-employed person. Portugal; you get the first year of NI (equivalent) contributions paid. From then on, it does get a bit more complicated. All about keeping receipts for absolutely everything (not just business purchases) and claiming back every Cent after you have paid it. If someone is doing this for you, it pays to pay them.

29. Stanley Edwards

Whilst I'm here...

Let's correct Riklet's ignorance about Portugal (and, the Spanish language).

Bomberos Voluntario.

This is the Firefighters. 'Voluntario' does not mean they work voluntarily. Initially, the fire service was manned by 'on call' volunteers (much like the system that operates still today in the UK) with employed/salaried full time firefighters always in the station.

In Portugal, the fire service is still reliant to a large extent on donations. This is where the 'voluntary' bit comes in. A budget is allocated by the local council to cover basic salaries and costs. Beyond that, donations cover new equipment costs and call out fees etc. All donations are paid to the local council and then distributed appropriately (theory). However, if you happen to be rich enough to want to donate a new fire engine, then you just buy the fire engine and give it to the station. No financial value is equated into the annual budget paid by the local council. If you aren't that rich, then a pair of fire proof gloves, or just a bottle of whisky for Christmas will be equally appreciated.

Anyone who seriously thought firefighters in Portugal worked unpaid, and untrained is a total fucking idiot. A patronising twat to the country also.

Riklet: spend sometime improving your Spanish, and Portuguese. Spend sometime studying the society here. Try and be a part of it. Or, carry on teaching English for your pocket money whilst Mummy and Daddy fund you until you grow up. Fuck you, you little piece of shit. You disrespect my Portuguese friends again and I will hammer you into the ground :)

30. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

at the risk of re-railing the thread... ;) i don't entirely agree - a lot of networking re events and opportunities happens on twitter. it's not just about being (nominally) visible it's about what you read, who you follow etc. whether that's local community stuff or international exhibitions. i imagine the same holds for facebook too.

(but i'm not a photographer)

friedaweed likes this.