1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaining work as a 'nobody' artist.

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Stanley Edwards, Dec 7, 2017.

1. planetgeli

planetgeli There's no future in England's dreaming

You are wonderful and I love you. I want to nominate you for the most amazing award I can find. Your altruism is astounding and an example to all mankind. I am also in total awe of your life.

Please advise.

2. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Thinks she is a flower to be looked at

wayward bob I think, as with most creative things, it boils down to time. Promoting yourself online could be good for your profile but you'd have to invest a bit of time in it and be strategic for it to pay off. That in itself can be a distraction from your work

Pickman's model likes this.
  3. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral. Banned

Idiot :)

How's your altruism these days? I'm really not into awards and stuff - I just want the cash. I've written this book...

4. Stanley Edwards

Go on then, tell us how it is done.

5. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

There is a photographer who is active on twitter who I follow. He recently made a book of photos from his county and promoted it a lot on twitter. I don't know how many sales he made from this specific promotion though but he put in some effort, on twitter.

6. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

don't come the fucking expert dude it doesn't suit you :p

7. Stanley Edwards

Twitter is slightly different to FB. However, it is still pretty useless for sales and 'image promotion' unless it is backed-up with more substantial/established media recognition.

8. wayward bob

there's very little in the way of "work" atm so that should help :hmm::D x

9. Stanley Edwards

Thank you.

That particular poster made some very nasty derogatory remark about my personality for absolutely no good reason. I don't appreciate shit like that.

10. wayward bob

face it stan - social media is awash with pitfalls. tying up professional and personal life in an eminently archived and searchable form has its perils. act the cunt or don't, your words are IMMORTAL :D

11. Stanley Edwards

Immortally very valuable ;)

You think I don't know what I'm doing?

12. wayward bob

errr... nope

13. Stanley Edwards

Shiftybaglady called me a sex stalker. Why? Where is the searchable evidence?

I love to make art. Love it. But, I need cash as much as anybody else. You could read the article this thread is about. I have travelled well from the income of art alone for over 15 years. Now, I would like to settle down a little.

Total sales from art is over €250,000
    Total income from art is over €500,000

I know what I'm doing. I'm going for the cash.

14. wayward bob

funny that the article paints you as though you weren't... assume that's an intentionally cunning ruse? congrats on getting one over on the gullible :cool:

15. Stanley Edwards

Weren't what? Not knowing what I'm doing?

Lost me.

16. wayward bob

weren't going for the cash. cos you tossed aside a stellar career (yes, i bothered to read the translation) for an "authentic" lifestyle. that you want to buy your way out of now? make your mind up.

i'm out for tonight btw, life and people and stuff...

17. Stanley Edwards

Life and people and stuff. Love it.

The point was that earning good money in a conventional way stole all your freedom. It was great for some years. I'm not buying my way out of a lifestyle. I have paid for this lifestyle for many years. Despite the occasional hardship, sacrifices and health wobbles, it has been utterly, totally fucking brilliant and enlightening. Far from buying out of it, I intend to continue to buy into it from a relatively static base. This is what I am working for now. This is why I am working through the holiday season. This is why I am now sat in a bar alone using internet.

Life, people and stuff? I work on the streets for the majority of my time. You meet many, many, many people, and experience much stuffs every hour of every day.

18. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

yeh. your boho lifestyle relies on people who've had their freedom nicked funding it

The39thStep likes this.
  19. Stanley Edwards

Well, someone has to win.

20. Pickman's model

Yeh. And the winnings pissed up against a wall. Like it's not been done a thousand times before. Don't tell me your peregrinations make you a winner, it's just a very long running away.

21. Stanley Edwards

'Peregrinations'?

I'm not running away from anything matey. Just collected keys to a very nice home in a very special place that will be mine for Two years. By then, I will have saved enough cash to buy a plot of land.

Fuck you. You sad fuck loser.

22. Pickman's model

You've been running for years, chuck, years

23. bimble

bimble noisy but small

What is it you think he should be doing that he’s running from?

24. Stanley Edwards

Fuck off, you sad little fuck.

25. Pickman's model

I have no interest in prescribing for Stan, sweetling.

26. Stanley Edwards

Good question. What exactly am I supposed to be running from?

Just for the record: I am criminally 100% clean. Not even a single point on my driving licence. Not a spoil in any country I have lived.

27. Pickman's model

Not been caught, you mean. But you're running away from responsibility. Of course it's up to you how you lead your life, but the way you lead it sees you evade at least direct taxation. You've not had any sustained relationship for years, you've left any chance of that in your wake. Nomadic people exist, for sure, but your individual continual running reveals much about you in what your effective rejection of responsibility and adulthood. You might see it as freedom. I don't. I wait with interest to see what happens with this pause and potential settling down.

existentialist likes this.
  28. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

Serious question here.
    If you're struggling to sustain your existing lifestyle, how do you expect to be able to afford a plot of land in two years, assuming you'll have additional bills, like electricity, etc?

29. Stanley Edwards

You really are a backward idiot aren't you. Can't see anything outside of your book of rules.

The friends I have, have been valued friends for decades. These are relationships I value. They obviously value my friendship equally.

My responsibility is firstly to myself, and secondly to the society I live in. All of the work I have given to communities, and charities should be enough to convince even bigots like yourself. I am not evading direct taxation, as you say it. Where tax is due - I pay. I also pay 'direct' tax on pretty much all I buy.

This is just the way I have chosen to live for the past 15 years, or so, and it has been fucking brilliant. Far better than the life I left behind in London/New York/Berlin. Now seems the right time to settle. Whether a 'life partner' type relationship happens is pretty much irrelevant. I'm very happy in my own company, and consider myself incredibly fortunate to enjoy the company of many friends, female/male, Intimate/non-intimate...

I will openly confess that I do miss not having a constant female 'confident' if you want to put it that way.

And, you Pickman's?

30. Pickman's model

Direct taxation: income tax
    Indirect taxation: taxes on things you buy.

So you evade direct taxation.

I have a permanent female confidante, since you ask, and friends I've known since childhood.