Gaining work as a 'nobody' artist.

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Stanley Edwards, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards 1967 Maserati Mistral.

Not really sure where to put this thread, but I am an artist, so...

Lisbon is being very, very good to me for all sorts of reasons. My diary is now full until the end of January. I haven't even been here Three months. I'm really only posting to help others find a way. Pisses me off when I see other artists as talented, or much more talented than myself failing to make it work financially.

A few weeks ago a young journalist found me. I was wasted :D Hadn't found my feet in Lisbon, but WTF - young person wants to put in the time and effort to help you, and help them. You go for it every time. Fuck all to lose really.

Here is the online article: La vida errante es un arte - Edición General

May not be much, however...

As much as I try to explain to other street artists how you do it, they just don't get it. So many times I say "it is not what you make on the street - it is who you meet".

So, there is a very ugly photo of me with some other persons perspective on what I told them, and it has been appreciated locally by big business people with cash to spend on art. Appreciated just because I gave someone the time.

All of these little things add up. Cash you make selling usually disappears very quickly.

2. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Article would make more sense if it was written in English :p

3. IC3D

IC3D Post Mid Arc

Makes fuck all sense to me, she disappointed, why?

4. Stanley Edwards

It will most probably appear in English, and Portuguese at a later date. This girl is going places. She knows how to write, knows how to make a story, knows how to get published. She is young still, but she will sell this on, and I will be very thankful ;)

5. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

I don't read Portuguese, but good luck to you.

6. Stanley Edwards

She writes beautifully. Incredibly engaging.

"with a can of Sagres occupying one of his hands"...

:D

7. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

well at least you cannot complain that someones post your real name on the boards

:thumbs:

so did you bone her to get the rather gushing piece added to the paper

:hmm:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Pickman's model likes this.
  8. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

The article is written in Spanish, not Portuguese.

Use the translate page option if you can't read Spanish.

9. bellaozzydog

bellaozzydog rolling turds in glitter

I've got no idea what "art" is but I love this guys stuff. Paintings of stuff I'm familiar with.

He's selling his paintings at roughly 100 quid a go.

I hope he keeps up his journey and can earn a living

Rob Parkinson

bubblesmcgrath likes this.
  10. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Thinks she is a flower to be looked at

Is this the same woman you had assumed was sexually interested in you, on your other thread, Stanley?
    Are you prepared to admit you were wrong and have a myopic view of women as sex objects now?
    She was a journalist giving you a break, which was kind.

11. Stanley Edwards

Good luck to him. However, he isn't going to get very far on the profits from Three paintings at €100 a go. He seems to be getting about mind.

Painting/sketching/making/doing is the easy bit. Even when you are utterly brilliant, you are worthless unless you know how to sell. The easiest way to sell is to get as much publicity as possible. Selling face to face is not easy, but it is far easier than finding buyers anonymously on FB and the rest of the web.

12. Stanley Edwards

No.

I think this post says much more about your bitter, sad, corrupt mind than it does about my life.

13. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Thinks she is a flower to be looked at

Say what you like about me Stan but I'm not a washed up, narcissistic sex pest measuring out my days with special brew.

14. Stanley Edwards

Who is?

You bitter twat. Fuck off.

15. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Sure, you're quite the gallant charmer.

16. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Google translate on Chrome is my best mate over here

17. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

She really did get your essential essence, Stan.

18. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

how long until an urb trolls her comment section?

Pickman's model and friedaweed like this.
  19. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

:D i pretty much am (less of the spesh these days tbf) so i feel right at home on this thread ;)

i think i'm completely shooting myself in the foot not being on facebook. i have many good reasons for not wanting to be on there but it's where most of the promotion is. i don't think the associated lack of "success" bothers me enough to sign up tho - i have an intermittent twitter account that pretty much serves the same purposes, i've just not been motivated to maintain it atm as frankly i had more work+life than i could handle. the ability to pick up and put down as required is the whole reason i've worked so hard for the current setup that i have...

20. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The end is meh

Gastarse los ahorros?

21. ElizabethofYork

ElizabethofYork Witchsmeller Pursuivant

Nice article.

22. Stanley Edwards

I don't think so. I have an FB account, but never use it, and never put my work there. All of the work I receive via the web comes from people I have met in person via my blog. I actively avoid FB for work. It could very easily do much more harm than good.

FB would be very useful for promoting events/exhibitions, but I don't see any value as a method to promote sales of original work.

23. wayward bob

events and exhibitions are my main focus atm - getting my name/work out locally and making contacts with other artists makers, curators, organisers... i function on a geological timescale socially and making the most of online opportunities would be a sensible application of my skillset...

i'm working on my first arts council grant application atm and i'm pleasantly surprised that i can easily evidence their criteria for a "professional" artist. getting seen/known at the arts council could be an enormous boost to my prospects :)

ShiftyBagLady likes this.
  24. wayward bob

the most financially successful artist (who doesn't also teach etc.) i know personally gets a lot of online exposure and works hard for it.

25. Stanley Edwards

On FB?

26. wayward bob

i'm not on it so i don't know :D but he's all over twitter...

27. Stanley Edwards

Doing what? Does he have website you can point us to? Please :)

28. wayward bob

he's a painter. i prefer to keep vaguely identifying stuff off the public boards so no link. he mostly sells (OUT!) to corporate clients ;)

29. Stanley Edwards

But, you post your own stuff here with features :D

30. wayward bob

features?