Gabber "a style of electronic music "

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by BassJunkie, Oct 13, 2017.

1. BassJunkie

BassJunkie devotees straight on

Now, don't laugh, but I'm looking for some gabber recommendations. I've always had a soft spot for gabber, it always makes me grin. In the past I've enjoyed it on nights out. As I now 'consume' most of my music at home, on vinyl, I think it's come time to buy some gabber records.

It's at this point I realise how ignorant I am about the genre. Could people please recommend some 'classic' tunes, labels etc? I'm thinking I'll buy a handful of 12 inches from Discogs. So I can teach my 5 year old daughter about 'proper' music.

NoXion likes this.
  2. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Can anyone post examples of two brilliant gabber tunes and then two shit ones? Id like to see what the spectrum of good to bad is.

I guess would have to be from the same era too...I doubt the sound has changed that much from 92, but there must be some differences?

mojo pixy likes this.
  3. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

Gabber makes my brain hurt, I used to walk into a room at parties and my whole body and brain would feel wrong and then I'd realise it was a gabber set.

4. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Well I'm a dabbler really but there are different styles (and there are also people out there who will have arguments about whether speedcore/doomcore/gabber are the same thing...).

If I was to pick a couple I like:

As for ones I don't like - I don't like the ones that have that sort of 'boink' drum sound on them but I can't bring any good examples to mind!

It's music for mixes though really rather than individual tunes. Someone like DJ Producer would be a good start (again someone will probably say he's not gabber but meh). I'd also really recommend some of the early DJ/Rupture mixes for examples of how it can be worked into other styles - Minesweeper Suite is a classic IMO which touches on it for a few tunes.

5. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

3 Steps Ahead is a name I remember, no expert on the form but I've always loved it.

crossthebreeze likes this.
  6. mojo pixy

Oh, and E De Cologne, one track I still keep on my iPod...

kalidarkone likes this.
  7. killer b

killer b Feat. Sean Paul

I have no idea what it's up to now, but BITD I used to like it.

also, everything on Deathchant.

8. killer b

killer b Feat. Sean Paul

you might dig this ska

9. killer b

killer b Feat. Sean Paul

10. crossthebreeze and killer b like this.
  11. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

NoXion likes this.
  12. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

DJ TORRENTZ.EU. :D
    Nice to see that.

Will listen later, but pretty sure at least a couple of these tunes posted so far aren't gabber. Hard and fast isnt enough I dont think

13. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

14. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Half listened to one track....the full horror returned......I seek a dark room and sedation......

wiskey likes this.
  15. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baŠĻČned: All

16. blairsh

blairsh bit adorable, bit annoying. Right on the cusp.

Ths^^^

17. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Up to my knees in amniotic fluid

For some strange reason I had it in my head that you LOVED gabber!!! Dunno why.

18. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

I find that what passes for gabber these days is a bit ploddy. Almost like hardstyle in its monotony. So back to the classics...

And some gabber out in the wild

Check out some old mixes from either Loftgroover or Liza N' Eliaz. They're normally bang on

19. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Up to my knees in amniotic fluid

Surprisingly I really like some of it. It aided me in cleaning the bathroom!!

nogojones likes this.
  20. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Does anyone know the name of the old Feyenoord gabba hit with the superb vocal sample "Amsterdam - where the fuck is that ?

21. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Child abuse :D

22. mojo pixy

Oh yeah I forgot about the 'proper Music' bit .. have a Fear Factory remix :D :thumbs:

23. mojo pixy

Fuck it, since I'm there now I'll chuck in a Morbid Angel remix too.

On Topic...
    Whereas Illud Divinum Insanus is not Morbid Angel's finest hour, there's a double CD album of remixes, and that is a pretty good laugh. All gabba, dubstep, techno, hard house and other filthy noises.
    Death metal growls all the way though, so not everyone's chalice of tea.

Here's another remix of the same tune, quite different.

24. killer b

killer b Feat. Sean Paul

this topical tune was an occasional favourite

nogojones likes this.
  25. mojo pixy

I gotta.

one more..

ah shit.

26. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Seagulls are cunts

Loving that Polish crew :cool:

This one always goes down

27. Chemical needs

Chemical needs stirring

28. killer b

killer b Feat. Sean Paul

this was on that Industrial Strength comp. total banger.

29. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Seagulls are cunts

I do remember some weird gabba dudes I knew, they made some banging tunes, but they were called "Shitspitters" so I'm gonna let someone else Google that :hmm:

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  30. killer b

killer b Feat. Sean Paul