Fulham's Craven Cottage to get new riverside stand.

Discussion in 'football' started by mod, Aug 6, 2019.

1. mod

mod A modernist

Construction has started!!! We'll only have 3 stands for the next 2 seasons whilst its being build.

This is a big, big deal for us. Not so much getting a swanky, huge new stand. It finally means our future at Craven Cottage is secured. We have had a few battles with various chairman (including Mohamed Al-Fayed) over the decades who have tried to sell the stadium to property developers.

It opens up the riverside walk so the public will be able to walk from Putney Bridge to Hammersmith bridge along the river.

So, what do you think?

Its twice the size of the existing stand (see comparison in first first image) and will take capacity from 25k to 30k.

IMG_0918.JPG
    IMG_0928.JPG
    WONP1590.JPG

Fulham's Craven Cottage will have just three stands for two seasons

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

It's missing the statue of Michael Jackson :(

3. editor

editor hiraethified

Wasn't this proposed AGES ago?

Badgers likes this.
  4. mod

mod A modernist

You might be thinking of this design from about 10 years ago. It was ditched.

18855_100014760.jpg

Badgers and Pickman's model like this.
  5. Irwin Winton

Irwin Winton Banned Banned

Good to see the UK is to keep one of its greatests sporting stadia

mod and Badgers like this.
  6. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

It's a great little football ground as it is but those plans look the business, for Thames walkers too.

skyscraper101, alex_ and mod like this.
  7. Thaw

Thaw Aye like, so it is.

I was at the West Ham friendly recently and the Riverside stand looked very small with all the seats out and the new scaffolding for the TV cameras looked a bit flimsy. Bit of a missed advertising opportunity too - I was expecting a giant billboard for a Malaysian online betting company

mod likes this.
  8. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

I take it the river never breaks its banks.

9. mod

mod A modernist

Not as far as I'm aware.

10. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

mod and Pickman's model like this.
  11. mod

mod A modernist

I see what you mean.

shutterstock_editorial_10348851bc.jpg

12. Thaw

Thaw Aye like, so it is.

or maybe they could just block the building site with an olde worlde river scene, maybe a Canaletto painting of Venice. Similar to when Arsenal redeveloped part of Highbury all those years ago.
    Also, your 'big screens' are rubbish.

13. Thaw

Thaw Aye like, so it is.

14. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Good anyway that folk will finally be able to walk from Putney Bridge to Hammersmith on the north side. That's long overdue.

15. mod

mod A modernist

I'm sorry they were not to your standard.

16. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

Whilst a continuous path by the Thames will be good, it's always a pleasure to come inland and walk along the outside of the Johnny Haynes stand. Must be the oldest Archibald Leich stand still around.

T & P and mod like this.
  17. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I suspect that very feature might have been a big factor in softening local opposition to the project and having the planning permission granted...

18. bromley

bromley ...isn't as good as Lewisham.

Does that stand have riverside flats? :hmm:

19. Casual Observer

There are nine flats in the stand which are for direct use by the club so won't be available to buy/rent on the open market. The rest is corporate hospitality/event space/club offices etc. That was from the planning documents that were available a couple of years ago.

20. mod

mod A modernist

A fellow cottager? We are rare on here.

21. Casual Observer

No, lapsed West Ham. Have been to Craven Cottage a few times though, both for football and Thames-side walks. I can remember standing at the back of the Putney end (pre-roof) - coldest I've ever been at a football match. Must have been the wind coming off the river or something.

22. mod

mod A modernist

Yep. It's not much better in the Hammersmith End to be honest. Beautiful place to watch football but can be bitterly cold in the winter.

23. Pickman's model

i used to work with a fulham fan, when he retired he moved to scotland.

friedaweed likes this.
  24. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

Are there any plans to improve the atmosphere there?

Pickman's model likes this.
  25. Pickman's model

scotland's quite nice, i don't think it needs improving

imposs1904 and mod like this.
  26. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

Cringin Cottage needs a bit of zest injected though. Only ground I've seen fans nodding off to sleep ;)

Pickman's model likes this.
  27. mod

mod A modernist

Granted it can be quiet but I can say exactly the same about all grounds I go to these days post all seater stadium (and I've been to a lot of grounds). We have our moments though...

Cpatain Rbubish likes this.
  28. bromley

bromley ...isn't as good as Lewisham.

Surprised by that. I assumed that was why the stand was getting built. They're hardly a club who need a capacity increase.

29. technical

technical stripey

Do you know what this means for away allocations in the meantime?

30. mod

mod A modernist

In our previous championship season we averaged 20,000 and the place sold out (25k) on 3 occasions. Last season in the premiership we averaged 24.371 and it was very very hard getting tickets unless you were a member or ST holder. Admittedly, there were 1000s as tourist there to see a Prem game (as there are at Stamford Bridge, Arsenal and Man united and everywhere else in teh Prem.)

On the last 20 years Fulham have been in the premiership 15 seasons and Championship 5.