1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fridge freezer issue

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Fez909, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Fez909

Fez909 um...

Fridge and freezer have stopped working. All food spoiled.

The fridge is still making noises. It sounds like there's water swishing about inside...like a quiet dishwasher.

Thermostat on the fridge seems to work...if I turn it down, the noises stop/change.

What's the prognosis?

2. xenon

xenon Blah blah blah

Tis fucked. :(

3. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

You haven't accidentally left the door ajar during the day?

That's my only contribution.......

4. Fez909

Fez909 um...

Nope.

5. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

Is it a self-defrosting thing? They go wrong more often than non-self-defrosting things.

6. Fez909

Fez909 um...

Don't think so. It's pretry basic and was well frosted up before this

7. bubblesmcgrath

bubblesmcgrath Well-Known Member

Sorry to say it sounds like it's died...

8. is the fan behind it working ? we had the same problem when a mouse got caught and jammed the fan, causing it to heat up.Pics to follow

are the door frames warm to the touch?

Overicing fucks up the thermostat and can cause this

as its already killed the food, it may be worth ripping up and starting again - shutting it down for a day, cleaing in out - including the water trays underneath if it has them- and seeing what happens when you swithc it back on.

Fez909 likes this.
  9. iona

iona idle and disorderly

I once fixed my not-working fridge freezer by taking it apart (with a butter knife), fiddling with the various bits, then putting it back together again.

Try that :thumbs:

Fez909 and not-bono-ever like this.
  10. Fez909

Fez909 um...

In bed now but will check tomorrow. It's a fucking pain though, as it's properly jammed in the gap between the wall and cupboards. Tried to pull it out earlier and struggled.

11. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Sailing a gravy boat

Compressor failure perhaps. How old / knackered is it otherwise?

If you replace it get one as cheap as possible one from John Lewis (having done price comparison - 'never knowingly undersold :hmm: etc) to get 2yr or 5yr (might cost a little) warranty, free delivery and installation, plus they'll take packaging and the fucked one away :thumbs:).

Actually fwiw I bought a cooker from AO dotcom recently and despite their shit and irritating adverts they were cheap and delivered / installed etc too. Manufacturers' warranties are often OK too, just remember to actually register for it with them.

Have you got home contents insurance?

Or travel insurance maybe say you took it with you on holiday and it got stolen. (With your iPhone 7 Plus) :(

There will be youtube help available too presumably

Good luck, it's a particularly shit time of year to be without :(

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    ringo, danski, Fez909 and 1 other person like this.
  12. iona

iona idle and disorderly

:D