1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fri 30 Mar (Good Friday) - Benfleet to Southend walk

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by zora, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

2. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf I've looked at life from both sides now

How can it be so cold on Friday? It's a beautiful spring day today.

3. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

Museum you say? Is that the heritage centre?

I think I'm probably not going to be able to make it anyway unless this arthritis flare-up improves by then - I'm not actually able to walk at all right now so will probably just have to stay home and eat Easter eggs on my own :D

4. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

Tfl says I should get a train to Victoria, then District line to Barking, then train to Benfleet.

5. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

Where are you going from? There's probably a quicker route via *cough* West Ham.

6. Maggot

Bromley

7. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Maggot

Bromley South ---> Peckham Rye (20 mins) ---> Shadwell Overground (15 mins) walk to ---> Shadwell DLR (4 mins) ---> Limehouse (2 mins) ---> Benfleet (56 mins) = TOTAL (97 mins :thumbs:)

Only bummer is that Limehouse trains at that time of day are slightly slower, adding an unnecessary 16 mins to the journey.

mango5, Miss-Shelf and Maggot like this.
  8. Maggot

Seems very quick, does that include waiting times?

9. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

No, just travel.

Eta: DLR and London Overground are pretty regular though, so you should be able to time most of the waiting out of that journey I'd have thought.

10. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

Vaguely thinking of coming along on this on Friday with new baby and partner but we have already done the bulk of this walk (Leigh on Sea to Southend) quite recently. Its a good walk and we capped it off with a visit to Southend pier. The weather forecast for Friday is a bit iffy though. Rain showers from dawn until dusk.

alsoknownas likes this.
  11. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf I've looked at life from both sides now

And again, new baby ??!! :cool:

toblerone3 likes this.
  12. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Benfleet to Leigh is quite different from Leigh to Southend, so you might appreciate that leg a bit more.

toblerone3 likes this.
  13. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

I am *really* looking forward to this. Good spring weather too, bright and bracing :)

eme, Rutita1, Miss-Shelf and 3 others like this.
  14. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

OK have seen the rain forecast and still very much upferit. Stalwarts on the New Year walk will report that such conditions create much sogginess and good fun

eme, zora, Miss-Shelf and 2 others like this.
  15. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

That's the spirit! I'm very much in upferit mode too :thumbs:. Looks like there'll be a-bit-of-everything weather, so not just showers - though definitely wrap up! Plenty of potential for pit stops as well - even the most isolated spot, Hadleigh Castle, has a tea room should we require it's services (though we may just want to go catch the tide at fairly nearby Leigh).

There are also bottle-out points at Leigh, Chalkwell, and Westcliff-on-Sea (we follow the route of the train line basically) if anyone's feeling like too much of a drip ;).

eme, Rutita1 and mango5 like this.
  16. Stig

Stig Bull in a china shop

got tickets \o/

I think I might wear even more waterproof boots this time.

17. zora

zora true to the crab

I'm packing my sunglasses! :cool:
    Just about to head off to Southend now - don't be alarmed if you don't see alsoknownas and me on the train tomorrow, we're coming from the other direction!

Miss-Shelf and Rutita1 like this.
  18. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

We're heading into Essex also today to acclimatise in preparation for tomorrow. ;)

Really looking forward to seeing everyone and having a good walk whatever the weather. :cool:

Miss-Shelf and alsoknownas like this.
  19. zora

zora true to the crab

Sorry to hear about the arthritis flare up, scifisam, I hope it improves soon. See you another time! x

20. Maggot

I've just had a nightmare day at work, so might not come tomorrow. Will let you know in the morning.

21. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

London types - is the plan still the 10:25 train from Fenchurch Street?

22. Stig

Yep, think so! That's what I'm going for.

colacubes likes this.
  23. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

I'm bringing a golf umbrella :hmm:

colacubes likes this.
  24. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Might be a good idea. Looks like the afternoon might be soggy :mad:

25. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Zorb ball?

3walk_.jpg

scifisam, Miss-Shelf and colacubes like this.
  26. Stig

What time do you think we'd expect to be back in London all things considered?

27. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Well depending on whether we march on through, or linger longer, I reckon we'll be at the Railway Hotel at around 5pm or so. So then it's just how long peeps want to hang out at the (admittedly rather good) pub.

So check the last trains then ;).

Stig likes this.
  28. alsoknownas

alsoknownas some bloke

Talking of trains - there is the option of returning to London via Southend Victoria, which runs on a different line to Stratford and Liverpool Street. Though, obvs. this would mean getting two singles, rather than a return (plus that line is slightly more expensive for some reason).

29. han

han brixton hill hobbit

Me too!

30. han

han brixton hill hobbit

Oops. Drunk friends have turned up at our house at midnight.

However I am still aiming to be there for the 10.25 at Fenchurch!