Free book swap places in London - do you know of any?

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by haushoch, Apr 26, 2019.

1. haushoch

haushoch Well-Known Member

I've inherited a large number of books from a very close friend who died last year in November, and I'm doing a project with them, I'm giving them all away, but I'm inserting a note into each one of them, telling the new readers about my friend. I've then created a Facebook page where people who have picked up one of my friend's books can write to me if they wish to. The page's address is on the note.

When I come across a book with a dedication in a second hand bookshop, I always wonder about the original owner, which is what inspired the project. My friend loved reading and treasured his books, but there are too many for me to keep. He was also always very generous with them, and frequently passed them on to friends and family and not expected them back. So this would be very much in his spirit.

I've already dropped some books off at Crystal Palace, Gipsy Hill and Thornton Heath train stations where they have book swap bookshelves.

I've also left some books in the Brockley red telephone box book swap.

A friend of mine is taking some to Cardiff and Prague. So the books are starting to travel. But it's a bit difficult to find book swap places, they're not actually very well publicized. It seems you have to know where they are.

If you know of any, could you please let me know?

Thanks.

harpo, littleseb, Winot and 6 others like this.
  2. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

How about donating them to local libraries? Some have lost funding and are now run on a volunteer basis and are always on the lookout for books, to either sell or lend out. Or charity shops? I love the idea of the message inside on behalf of your friend. The British Heart Foundation will collect them for free too.

haushoch likes this.
  3. wtfftw

wtfftw melting like a toastie

haushoch likes this.
  4. wtfftw

wtfftw melting like a toastie

There's bookshelves in some tube stations. I can't remember where I've seen them tho.

haushoch likes this.
  5. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Thinks she is a flower to be looked at

What a lovely idea!
    There's a book swap shelf in Clapham North tube, there's the Forster Book Exchange just down the road from the Menier Gallery SE1 (they encourage notes etc) and I know a lot of local homeless people read them.
    I see these all the time but have forgotten where they all are!

haushoch likes this.
  6. haushoch

I had contemplated donating the books to charity shops, and it would of course be nice if they made money for charity, but initially at least I would prefer it if the books were free for the new readers.

7. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Auckland Hill in West Norwood. There’s a community book box half way up the hill on the right as you come from the station :)

haushoch likes this.
  8. haushoch

Brilliant, I didn't know about either of these two, thank you. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

ShiftyBagLady likes this.
  9. haushoch

Fantastic! Thank you. :)

colacubes likes this.
  10. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Just remembered there’s also a shelf in The Hope pub at the bottom of the hill there. It’s to the right of the bar.

haushoch likes this.
  11. haushoch

Let me know if you suddenly wake up in the middle of the night remembering. :)

wtfftw likes this.
  12. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

There's one in Stratford Station. By the sweetie shop in the subway nearest the front entrance.

Miss-Shelf and haushoch like this.
  13. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

There's one in Oval station as well.

haushoch likes this.
  14. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

Close to ones colacubes mentioned; Elm Park tavern, wee free library 174 valley road in streatham and west dulwich station

haushoch likes this.
  15. DietCokeGirl

DietCokeGirl All lost in the supermarket

haushoch likes this.
  16. hash tag

hash tag never too old

haushoch likes this.
  17. haushoch

Brilliant, it's so great to have so many places now. Thanks all! :thumbs:

wtfftw and ShiftyBagLady like this.
  18. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

I've seen a book swap place at Manor House tube station as well. And there is a book swap place near me in Hackney - on Thistletwaite Road in Clapton.

haushoch likes this.
  19. SheilaNaGig

SheilaNaGig Struggling and striving

I love this idea haushoch .

The ones I know about have already been mentioned but I just wanted to say this idea has really touched me. It’s a really kind creative and thoughtful way to honour your friend.

I sometimes just leave books on public transport and cafe tables. And I once laid one on top of a person’s bag as I left the table we were sharing in a cafe. She was reading so she didn’t notice me do it. I hope she wasn’t freaked out by it.

Miss-Shelf, haushoch and marty21 like this.
  20. marty21

This thread has made me think of these folk

BookCrossing

I did 'release' a book via this, years ago after finding one on a bus with a sticker about book crossing - the person who finds it is supposed to log in and you see where your book went - I logged in - but my book didn't get logged :( might do it again though.

haushoch likes this.
  21. xsunnysuex

xsunnysuex Life is a horizontal fall.

There's a book share cabinet in Surrey Quays shopping centre. Right in front of The Range store.
    Quite often pass by and take a look. In fact my partner dropped some books there a few days ago.

haushoch likes this.
  22. nyxx

nyxx Well-Known Member

There's a book swap box outside someone's house on Nevill Road in N16.
    I've been told there's one inside Manor House tube station too, think someone already mentioned that.

marty21 and haushoch like this.
  23. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

i once left 20 or so political theory books in there. a couple of days later they were all gone and somebody had left a thank you note instead, saying they'd be put to the best possible use.

24. haushoch

Great, one of Will's friends lives in N16 - I will give him some books to drop off there.

Whereabouts roughly on Nevill Road is the book swap box, please? It's a long road. :)

nyxx and Miss-Shelf like this.
  25. yield

yield zero

There's a bookshelf at Totteridge & Whetstone tube waiting room south bound platform

marty21 and haushoch like this.
  26. marty21

Noticed one on Evering Rd the other day , (another long rd) the Clapton end

haushoch likes this.
  27. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

pretty much bang opposite the synagogue corner Walford Road.
    [​IMG]

haushoch, nyxx and marty21 like this.