fraud and error department dwp

Discussion in 'benefits and housing' started by Tiredtoad, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Tiredtoad

Tiredtoad New Member

F095BD49-67FC-42F8-AF80-0512008BFEB3.jpeg 5178856B-EDFE-4F3E-A6CE-5D6ADA13C6D0.jpeg Could anybody shed any light on this. It’s got me really worried. I’ve been wracking my brain but I can’t honestly think of anything I’ve done wrong.
    Many thanks

tim, Pickman's model, Argonia and 2 others like this.
  2. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Seagull + Chips = Happy Seagull

It looks like a generic review - I guess they might do this for a certain percentage of claims each week or whatever.

The only reason to be concerned is if you've not declared a change of circumstances which they might have found out about.

Hope you get it sorted.

stuff_it, moomoo, oryx and 2 others like this.
  3. Tiredtoad

Tiredtoad New Member

Thank you. I literally can’t think of anything that I haven’t reported.
    It’s a horrible feeling..

stuff_it likes this.
  4. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat That's Puddy Tat Esq to you

I'm some years away from having anything to do with the system (and I was council / housing benefits rather than DSS or whatever it was called then)

Not sure whether this letter is an actual suggestion that they might even think you have done anything wrong, or just a 'hostile environment' way of just renewing your claim (for anything means tested they generally review every so often)

if not stating the obvious, would suggest taking scans / photocopies of anything you send them in case it gets lost somewhere.

5. Tiredtoad

Tiredtoad New Member

Thank you. I think it was the fraud and error bit that got me..

6. passenger

passenger up and down...

That looks very heavy to me, what is a change of circumstances I no longer
    use pg tips I get the cheaper Tesco own brand :confused:

Tiredtoad likes this.
  7. Tiredtoad

Tiredtoad New Member

Yes it does to me too.. it’s really making me anxious. It also starts to make me doubt myself.

8. farmerbarleymow

You'll probably remember getting a job, losing a job, moving, cohabiting, marrying, divorcing, etc. If you can't remember any of these you're probably going to be OK.

tim, SpookyFrank, muscovyduck and 2 others like this.
  9. Puddy_Tat

that's what the system is designed to do.

don't let the bastards grind you down

10. Tiredtoad

Tiredtoad New Member

Thank you both..
    farmerbareymow you are right I would certainly remember those things.

11. farmerbarleymow

You'll just have to jump through the hoops they require - and agree with keeping copies of everything you send them in case they lose stuff. Unless DWP insist that you send original documents, always send photocopies, and keep a copy of every bundle of evidence you send.

12. Puddy_Tat

and get on with it - they want it by wednesday. having to re-start your claim (and dealing with things like housing / council tax benefit being stopped) will be a pain in the tail...

13. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

Only thing I can think of apart from the list farmerbarleymow put up is capital, have you came into a few quid from anywhere, I'm talking thousands by the way.

If not then yeah I agree with Puddy_Tat that it's most likely the new hostile environment way of dealing with reviews to our entitlements.

farmerbarleymow and Tiredtoad like this.
  14. Tiredtoad

Tiredtoad New Member

I already sent the esa 2 form off. Got it recorded and it was delivered and signed for on Friday..
    Believe it or not I have been searching through forums for any idea for what it could be about. Most posts are concerning compliance interviews. This doesn’t mention that but seems to be the same kind of tact..
    thank you again

15. Puddy_Tat

anything that affects your entitlement to benefits -

most obvious ones would be

entering in to or leaving a relationship (of the sort that would make you 'partners' as far as benefits is concerned - this is about the only bit of the state where 'common law' partners are recognised) or having a member of the household move in or out

a change in income (e.g. change in employment, or starting to receive a pension) or 'capital' (e.g. coming in to some money - would generally need to be a fairly significant amount unless you're already very close to one of the capital 'thresholds' for means tested benefits - although it's probably safer to report it and find out it doesn't affect your benefits, rather than not report it then find out it did and you're in trouble for not reporting it)

a significant change (for better or worse) in health condition

if housing benefit is involved, then your rent going up

muscovyduck and Tiredtoad like this.
  16. Tiredtoad

Tiredtoad New Member

Bc.. funny you should mention that as where the form asks about bank acc/ finances they have used a highlighter pen.. I don’t remember ever having over a few hundred quid in my account... Ever..

17. Tiredtoad

Tiredtoad New Member

I did move last year about the same time as my daughter left 6th form. I called them up told them my new address, also informed them my daughter started a part time job. They asked for wage slips which I sent off.
    They then took quite a substantial amount of of my esa as I was not I entitled to SDP anymore as my daughter had left full time education..

18. BCBlues

Was your daughter 18 at the time she left 6th form? It shouldn't have affected your SDP until her 18th birthday at least.

I'm thinking as well that they might have came across bank details that they have no prior details of, maybe a second or third account you may use for certain things to go in/out? Their view would be that they know you have an "undeclared" account that you may have untold thousands in but in reality it is just an account you use for child benefit payments for example. Just a train of thought. I can see you're worried.

19. Tiredtoad

Tiredtoad New Member

Yes she had turned 18 whilst still at 6th form so they where right to remove it.
    I really don’t have any other bank accounts. Same a count I’ve had all my adult like.

20. Tiredtoad

Tiredtoad New Member

I will just have to wait it out.. thanks all

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  21. BCBlues

Like Puddy_Tat says get on with it, it has to be in by Wednesday, and good luck :thumbs:

Tiredtoad likes this.
  22. passenger

passenger up and down...

23. Tiredtoad

Tiredtoad New Member

No. I’m still waiting.. I did however have anothe form to fill in today an is10 form. I don’t know if it’s related or not as there was no cover letter just a compliment slip saying please fill in ASAP..

24. passenger

passenger up and down...

IS10 FORM

Tiredtoad likes this.
  25. Tiredtoad

Tiredtoad New Member

Lol. That is the form. But I don’t believe I’m owed anything.
    I will update as soon as I’ve heard..
    Thanks

passenger likes this.
  26. BristolEcho

BristolEcho Well-Known Member

I initially thought it looked like the SDP repayment form that I helped someone with but I don't remember it giving a deadline for the letter to be sent back. Unsurprisingly the DWP aren't as bothered if they owe you money. They might have been told to ensure that people do actually get their money back though?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    Tiredtoad likes this.
  27. Tiredtoad

Tiredtoad New Member

I don’t think I’m owed any money. It must be related to something else. Also the letter came from the fraud and error department.
    My anxiety levels are sky high.

28. BristolEcho

BristolEcho Well-Known Member

I wouldn't like to say either way as I know they are checking most people. As I said the form does look different. I hope it all works out okay and keep us updated.

The DWP and their approach makes me absolutely sick. The amount of fear it generates is awful. I know it's pretty much impossible, but try not to assume the absolute worst just yet. If it comes back with a negative response then it might be worth seeking more help.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    muscovyduck, BCBlues and Tiredtoad like this.
  29. Tiredtoad

Tiredtoad New Member

Thank you. I will keep the post updated.

30. Proper Tidy

Proper Tidy Arsed

IS10 form does appear to be solely about the severe premium, and DWP underpaying you would count as error so would make sense fraud & error dept would cover it... Let's hope it's good news and you get a nice little backdated lump sum