1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frankie Paul R.I.P.

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ringo, May 19, 2017.

1. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

One of the early dancehall greats. A phenomenal voice, huge stage presence.

BCBlues, Sea Lion and Fozzie Bear like this.
  2. ringo

3. ringo

4. ringo

frankiepaul.jpg

Sea Lion likes this.
  5. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

I met him when he was just starting out and he was barely more than a boy, wearing milk-bottle-bottomed glasses. I was trying to do a business with him and all he was interested in was playing with toy cars on the floor.:cool:

Come to think of it, any deal would not have been valid because he would only have been about 13 or 14....

I loved his music, even when he started to get a mixed reputation.....

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    ringo likes this.
  6. PaoloSanchez

PaoloSanchez Well-Known Member

7. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

R.I.P indeed.

ska invita and Sea Lion like this.
  8. Sirena

9. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

Great voice, love his cover of this. R.I.P.

10. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

only aged 51 ... sad news
    sweet and effortless singer
    i remember hearing Manasseh play African Princess on the radio...only realised years later it was Frankie Paul...not his usual sound...pre-dancehall Paul you could say

Also on the Africa theme... and in a roots style

Just read he'd been living in the Gambia since early 90s! True to his word

Last edited: May 22, 2017 at 10:58 PM
  11. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

RIP Frankie.

Sea Lion likes this.
  12. sankara

sankara Well-Known Member

RIP. All my favourite tunes of his have already been posted. I saw him a few years back at the Hootenanny, supporting the Mighty Diamonds. The headliners were embarrassingly awful but Frankie Paul was completely brilliant. This was also after the incompetent promoter had managed to trip him over on the way onto the stage. Incredible singer and performer.

I've seen a fair number of gigs in Brixton over the years but Soundgarden was the first back in the mid nineties and Frankie Paul was one of the most recent. I am glad I got to see them both.

Sea Lion likes this.
  13. PaoloSanchez

I first heard African Princess on Joey Jay's excellent Word Sound and Power show when he was on Kiss FM which I used to record every Sunday night. It's the last track on the Hardcore Loving album and I prefer this later version, although the earlier one is also good.

14. ska invita

Watching clips of him singing in the last year or two his voice hadn't left him at all - captivating to the last

Amazing discography...runs to 34 pages on discogs!!
    I dont suppose youve got any of those tapes in a box somewhere? Id digitise them for you if you do! Id love to hear some of those...caught a few back in the day and taped a couple also. Joey Jay moved to somewhere in west africa after leaving Kiss....he came back and played a set a couple of years back...sad to say it wasnt all that

15. ringo

Once saw him take the mic and do a PA over a sound at carnival. As he approached he looked frail and slight, but as soon as he started singing he seemed to grow in stature and the crowd were immediately mesmerised. Raw talent.

Last edited: May 24, 2017 at 11:23 AM
    Sea Lion and ska invita like this.
  16. ska invita

I think this was 2015?? Singing in amongst the crowd...vibes!!

Singing from his wheelchair last year

Sea Lion likes this.
  17. Sirena

18. PaoloSanchez

I have some maxells, tdks and minidiscs somewhere in storage of Word Sound and Power, and also some older Rodigan when he was on Capital, and a bit of Tony Williams from Radio London but don't have access to them right now. I will get round to making them digital eventually. wikidup has posted a few on youtube. I only ever heard Joey on Kiss then he suddenly disappeared and buggered off to Ghana. I don't really have any experience of his sound system sets. Wifey has him as a friend on fb.

ringo likes this.
  19. ringo

Sea Lion and PaoloSanchez like this.
  20. ska invita

ive got a couple here: Mikus Musik: Dusty Tapes: Manasseh & Joey Jay on Kiss
    i used to have a great Disciples/Joey Jay interveiw with Russ D from when their first LP Boom shaka Lacka came out - that show changed my life! (a bit ;) )

like is said though paolo, if you cant be arsed id be happy to do the digitalising

21. ringo

Happy to put them up on my website too :thumbs:

22. ska invita

like this - probably over a Treasure Isle rhythm - anyone know the original track?? i like those old violin-using tracks

23. PaoloSanchez

Sounds like the tide is high riddim by the Paragons

...of course we all know that the Blondie version was much better...

...JOKING!

ringo likes this.
  24. PaoloSanchez

Thanks for the offer...it's possible that I'll take you up on that one day. My stuff is all over the place and it'll be a while before my stuff is in order. Joey Jay used to be the highlight of my weekend used to love him opening the show to this...

25. ringo

Great tune. Love that whole LP. Playing that tonight :thumbs:

26. ska invita

ah yes! i thought i recognised it
    thanks

27. PaoloSanchez

It is a FANTASTIC tune that sends shivers down my spine whenever I hear it...
    "You wake up early every morning worrying about your earthly possessions".
    I don't know if Joey opened every WS&P show with this song but he did on all the ones I heard. Top top tune.

ringo likes this.
  28. ringo

I copied that and used it o open my radio show last night, works beautifully :thumbs:
    Up on the Urb DJ thread now.