1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frank Zappa - is he good or not?

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Left, Apr 14, 2013.

1. xslavearcx

xslavearcx time for a nu-metal revival?

Yeah, im really having to restrain myself to 'A tune a day for classical guitar' but its hard to not want to go much further in a completely unrealistic time frame :D

passenger and danny la rouge like this.
  2. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

i think this is my problem, the lyrics. Earlier instrumentals go down okay...whereas Beefheart lyrics are wonderful

danny la rouge likes this.
  3. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

The best thing Zappa ever did was kick Lowell George out of the Mothers. George then went on to form the infinitely superior Little Feat.

Opinions vary on why George left the Mothers, but he was always more than a little fond of narcotic substances, and as we all know old Frank had no time for such shennanigins (is that why the Govt drugs advice service is called Talk To Frank, I wonder? Ok, probably not). One version is that Lowell wrote a song called Willin' (later to become a Little Feat classic) which concerned drug running, and Zappa wouldn't let him play it with the Mothers, so they split. Thank fuck for that!

4. Knotted

Knotted Sweet when you stir it up

He wrote plenty of great tunes like Let's Make the Water Turn Black:

Edit: Left there's some great late 60's live material on youtube if you look.

5. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

never heard of Little Feat...where to start?

6. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

Start with their very first one simply called Little Feat - their first 5 albums are all excellent. I feel a thread coming on. Later...

blossie33, littleseb and ska invita like this.
  7. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

You could also give a listen to Feats Don't Fail Me Now, which is a classic.

blossie33, Dr. Furface and littleseb like this.
  8. seeformiles

seeformiles Lost in the wood

Great LP from start to finish! :cool:

petee, blossie33, spliff and 3 others like this.
  9. Bernie Gunther

Bernie Gunther Fundamentalist Druid

Great documentary, if only for the bit where Miss Lucy (son Dweezil's babysitter) explains how she wee'd all over Jeff Beck.

Zappa is such a sexist pig though, this was filmed before he had to pretend he wasn't.

spliff likes this.
  10. spliff

spliff New Member

Just came across these while looking for something totally unrelated which I have now forgotten about, the way you do. :D

and :(

11. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Cheap thrills is a'right.

''Tis only two and a half minutes long which is about all I can bear if him in a sitting.

12. rubbershoes

rubbershoes not the only raver in the village

The first part of Sheik Yerbouti is very listenable

13. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

I went to see a doc film recently - Frank Zappa in his own words.
    It was basically a collection of interviews and clips of the band over the years but very entertaining, especially the clip posted above of him as a teenager ( short hair and a suit ) on an American show demonstrating music played on a bicyle :eek::D
    In his latter years he performed a classical piece he'd written, with an orchestra.
    I wasn't particularly keen on some of his music but he came across as a great guy.

spliff likes this.
  14. Cheesypoof

Cheesypoof Fuck off Noddy

I think I may have seen the same movie Eat this Question. Its really good. Took a while for me to find on download but it is available....i'll repost the link if i can find it....

15. Cheesypoof

Always been a diehard Beefheart fan, and although I'd heard of him, Frank Zappa was an artist I had not explored....until recently.:eek::eek: I am currently in my 'Frank period' and I started with this which has blown me away, upended and sideways. The following number, Peaches en Regalia, is literally one of the best pieces of music I have EVER heard. I am deeply in love. The album itself - Hot Rats is one of the best things I have ever heard in my LIFE. And the following aint even my favourite on the album :eek::eek::cool::cool::thumbs:

littleseb, elbows and Signal 11 like this.
  16. Cheesypoof

This is my favourite from the album. Son of Mr Green Genes. It has been going through my head constantly since I discovered it three weeks ago <3

Beats & Pieces likes this.
  17. ouchmonkey

ouchmonkey Singe Gainsbourg

NO

Sweet FA likes this.
  18. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Obviously subject to taste and genre preference, I still think its fairly safe to say that you've started with one of the most musically pleasant of his 8 gazillion albums. Nor is it burdened by Franks singing voice or the numerous controversies of his social commentary.

I'm a bit too rusty with Zappa to pick the very most applicable tracks of his that have plenty in common with the ones on that album, but I will have a try anyway.

Cheesypoof likes this.
  19. Cheesypoof

Thanks! Yeh, I had listened to a song here and there over the past 20 years and couldnt find anything I liked or found much listenable until the latter.....i've since found other songs which I like but am very much a newbie to the fold. I know from the 60 or so albums much of it is pretty mental and some, unlistenable and I dont expect to like all of it. But thank you for posting those suggestions, which I will check out. :thumbs::cool:

20. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

Gotta be in the mood...

clicker likes this.
  21. phillm

phillm Trolling through Life (TM)

Clever folk on the coridoor of my hall of residence liked it and you could smell good hash coming from their room. Sadly I never got to play with them and ascend to their lofty intellectual heights.They probably ended up as mid-level managers with a paunch and regrets and a load of records in the loft.

But I liked this track.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  22. Doubledown

Doubledown Banned Banned

I thought he was a drug music performer. Creating music that was infused with strangeness and humour with a psychedelic rock core. So when the listener was on drugs and everything was already weird and wacky, his music would take you over the edge into this wonderful world. I think his music tried to capture the heaven and hell of psychedelics. The awful grating jazz stuff and some of the humour was put there for contrast I feel. Muffin man live is a perfect example of this.

He's got an exceptional body of work of fantastic individual tracks that are purely musical with great lyrics, such as, "Dirty Love". That said I've never had the opportunity to get into Frank Zappa in a big way, at some point I would like to explore his music in depth. But it all certainly started out as drug music so to be fair it should be judged while on drugs but I'm not advocating taking drugs but being in that mindset.

23. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

Except Zapper was never into drugs and didn't tolerate them within his band.

Cheesypoof likes this.
  24. Siouxsie

Siouxsie Fashionable objector with a uniform fetish

My brother had Joe's garage and drove me mad singing 'Catholic girls with a tiny little moustache' constantly :mad:

25. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Anyone who calls his kids Dweezil and Moon Unit has to be a bit of a cunt.

26. Doubledown

Doubledown Banned Banned

And she gave me VD. :)

27. Siouxsie

With a tongue like a cow she could make you go wow...it's all coming back :( :D

28. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Sluggish, lazy, stupid, and unconcerened.

My balls feel like a pair of Maracas.

Cheesypoof likes this.
  29. Siouxsie

Thanks for sharing but what about Zappa! :D

Cheesypoof and mwgdrwg like this.
  30. Cheesypoof

The kids don't think so. Dweezil's name on his birth certificate was originally Ian Donald Calvin, and he found out about this when he was five and had it legally changed when he was older. The word 'Dweezil' is named after Frank's wife's little toe. The daughter Moon Unit has said she likes her name, and to be honest, it suits her, being an artist, Bohemian type...

blossie33 likes this.