'Fracking' for gas in Llandow, Vale of Glamorgan

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by bendeus, Mar 28, 2011.

1. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Fracking in Wales
    audio from bbc
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-23895276
    says cheaper gas prices :mad:

has something on the opposition groups
    also about Gerwyn with him speaking, comparing it to drilling a water well!

2. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

not balanced that report, nothing about the dangers and that it won't bring down prices here :mad:
    bollocks

3. Tankus

Tankus living someone else's dream.

Gerwyns drilling for "gold".......needs a pension plan

4. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

more straight out propaganda! :mad:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-24026014
    nothing about danger underground etc, no counter argument

5. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

6. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

BBC coverage of Wales often seems particularly prone to being lobbied by interest groups, normally government or corporate interest-favouring ...

Above opinion based on watching the Welsh bit of BBC Breakfast most days ...

7. bendeus

bendeus Bellend Tagline Generator

Yup. Same across the board. Currently, for example, Welsh rugby is in danger of extinction due to the new breakaway European competition. Much of this is down to the battle between clubs and union. It's a very relevant debate to be had that impacts on a national sport. BBC Wales' coverage, however, is shallow, one-sided and lazy, and that's being kind. I think it's down to the ease with which BBC Wales executives can be 'got at' by corporate or vested interests in the small pond that is, essentially, Cardiff, when everyone is jostling up against one another.

8. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

9. Tankus

Too right...!

The boyos are worried about local backlash and their job preservation on the taffia gravy train.

Can't be getting the fairly politically apathetic majority radicalised and starting to question just what is the welsh assembly for.

It was suggested to me by my local councilor , and I don't think he was jesting, a week or two ago that the anti frackers were being funded by the Russians.

Amazments

There's a meeting in Bridgend tonight .......might toddle along if a mates up for a pint.

ddraig likes this.
  10. Tankus

Well, interesting meeting......

The websites "Frack free Wales" has very little being inputed into it , and the " the vale says no" has even less , as the original person running it has withdrawn as it has been overwhelming her.

The 3 main sites have all got planning permission to test drill within the next 3years as mentioned earlier, so its now down to Gerwyn in the shed to the timing and whether he has the finances for it., A waiting and watching game.....as soon as they start the ground and access preparation , the local groups will notify everyone else ....then what ?
    Seems to me that there are a lot of little groups all doing their own thing, with seemingly limited communication in getting the message out from their groups as to what's going on.

Glad I went ,

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  11. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

Bit of networking required then.

12. Tankus

I thought that the coal gasification plan's were less well advanced than fracking , how wrong was I

All of shore due to fairly good possibility of it turning to shit

13. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

more 'good news' about jobs from shale gas extraction
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/fracking-companies-claim-south-wales-6351720
    Gerwyn again too

14. Tankus

Apart from the HGV,s the jobs are fairly niche and will be imported in on short term contacts from a global job pool

Well , no surprises here in the granaid

Just like nuclear in its early days, all about the profits now , and no consideration for the future and the waste implications.
    http://gu.com/p/3y5hx

Gerwyns running on a shoestring, particularly after the last deal with the ozzies fell through.

The bulk of pipe string failures occur a decade or two after extraction and capping.
    Gerwyn will be long gone, and the taxpyer will be left holding the can.
    Silicosis/asbestos/thalidomide anyone? Similar time scale!
    Quite telling that the insurance companies are a bit leary about issuing bonds ...

Try selling your house , and getting insurance cover or buyers getting a mortgage if in the vicinity of a frack too.

Hey ho !

That photo from Wheaton, Blackpool[​IMG]
    Where hell is the safety margin for rainfall , its even got a downslope off to the left of picture

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    ddraig likes this.
  15. bendeus

So it's happening. Now let's see to what degree our government are able to localise jobs and profit.

You may be unsurprised to learn that I am not optimistic.

Greebo likes this.
  16. Tankus

At the last meeting in Bonvilston reading rooms it seemed as though it was all go, and that Gerwyn has 3 years to get in there ....The first the villagers at Llantrithyd would know is when the groundwork prep starts for the pads or road widening at the gate and road up to the A 48......

17. bendeus

That's my, and many more Llantonians', route to and from work. There's going to be lorries galore along that stretch, right? To what degree are they going to widen? Two lanes mandatory, I'm assuming. That's a big bit of work in itself.

18. METH LAB

METH LAB Im a goat! Banned

bastards wanna do it in brryport harbour..they can frak off! there is a campain under that name "frak off" but I doubt it gona go very far..the peole running the show have no clue abou the heritage(sp) of where the fracking they just slip a politition a few thousand and all of a sudden the council say yes ok..i dnt think its started yetbut it hink its coming :( :(

yea lets destroy the planet :(

19. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Greebo likes this.
  20. METH LAB

METH LAB Im a goat! Banned

we (me and s14n) are going to a meeting nia griffith is doing a meeting on it..public opinion from what i get from people on the bus is ~"they better not bring that bloody fraking crap here, it wont happen here i tell you" well, i dunno if some semi-pissed bus pass using peeps on a bus are gonna stop 'em. i might take my chainsaw, and my blades and my mutha fuckin uzi licking AK-mutha-fuckin-47.. tied to a nine, a glock, a few old grenades that didnt go off and its BOOM TOWN! but s14n says more likely they not let me in and police might happen if i do all that. so i'll just tell 'em to FUCK OF b4 and after i tell 'em to FRAK OFF.

oh and draigg, llainelli? (i kidding)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  21. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Vale is Not for Shale benefit gig at Cowbridge Town Hall Sat 22 Feb
    https://www.facebook.com/events/487758954677875

teqniq and Greebo like this.
  22. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

23. Tankus

me ..... earlier
    err ...road is now being widened on my side near west aberthaw and that awkward kink being taken out just before the garage ! , Hmm .....you don't think.....?

make it 7 secs quicker for me to get to LLantwit anyways

24. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

anything to do with this
    http://www.valeofglamorgan.gov.uk/D...013/46-LDP-Draft-Infrastructure-Plan-2013.pdf

4th paragraph on page 18

25. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

I have always thought that is a dangerous bit of road.

26. Tankus

Probably......... I like the bendy twisty bits...

27. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

I like bendy twisty bits too but that bit has always seemed a bit iffy to me especially coming after a fairly open wide stretch of road as it does.

28. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

I'm old enough to remember when all traffic went over the old stone bridge which is now 50yards away from the road on the Aberthaw side of the nasty bend!

29. bendeus

ddraig likes this.
  30. Tankus

Hmm.... seeing these now on jobsearch for the Vale ...a few of them

And others specifically for riggers