Former Billericay owner Glenn Tamplin takes over Romford FC

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by YTC, Mar 2, 2017.

1. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Plenty of people manage to get by without working for people like Tamplin. Footballers in general gain in money what they lack in morals.

I always crack up when they moan about not getting paid, these footballers are unable to save money clearly.

2. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

I think I probably triggered this exchange with my earlier comment of:

"I simply couldn't work for such an appalling individual no matter how much money he offered me, and I'm still genuinely amazed that so many people take his money. I'd have zero self respect. It's not as if any of those players couldn't get a decent offer (obviously not as much) from other clubs."

Just for the record I walked away from jobs in my 20's that would have left me financially better off in later life if I'd stuck it out. If I'd played my cards differently I could easily have retired at 50 without ever earning mega money, just getting my head down and investing wisely, or just coasted through the final 15 or so years of working life with a cushy part-time job. Instead I face working until I reach whatever state pension age will be when I get there. (Currently 67, possibly 75 if Iain Duncan-Smith has his way.)

I accept that some people are capable of putting reservations with a dubious employer to one side and just getting on with the job in hand but personally I'm not mentally tough enough to do that, I'd just have a complete meltdown sooner or later, therefore I struggle to empathise with those who do.

B.I.G likes this.
  3. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Some people that “are nice guys” clearly chose s different path so they could pay off their mortgage on a house in London.

A must have for any self-regarding footballer I’m sure.

4. blueheaven

blueheaven Well-Known Member

To me, choosing to make a career change because you want to and the timing is right and the opportunity is there, is a different situation from that of a footballer, who is basically on a very short countdown until their playing days are over whether they like it or not (and injury could mean they're over even earlier than expected). Your admin job presumably wouldn't have been taken away from you because of your age.

I prefer happiness over money too, but you're talking as if there's no connection between the two (and I say this as someone with experience of quitting a relatively high-paid job because I hated it, in order to move to a much lower paid job that I enjoy much more). Most of us probably work so that we can make money so that we can afford to do the things we want to do and have the lifestyles we want to have. I can't imagine there's much happiness in unemployment, struggling to pay your bills or being homeless.

5. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Ah, the two of us are very much in the same boat and I'm very much the same. People looking to maximise their income is hardly inherently immoral or uncommon though.

Thought your original was perfectly sound, it's what others have followed it with.

Pink Panther and blueheaven like this.
  6. editor

editor hiraethified

Is that a Thatcher quote?

TAKE THE MONEY!!! FUCK THE FANS!!!!!!!!

7. NPDHFC

NPDHFC NAC-ITM

I'm looking forward to this thread eventually being published as a book, documenting the rollercoaster ride it's been over the last 2½ years.

YTC, Pink Panther and StephenMac like this.
  8. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

Don't be so fucking ridiculous. How old are you for Christ's sake?

Dulwich Mishi and Jamie Wyatt like this.
  9. editor

editor hiraethified

And breathe.......

:D

10. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Really?

You guys! I laughed so much I nearly donated some cash to the #Rickerty parachute fund!

.... and my m8 Mr BIG is explaining morality. Not that I am suggesting alcohol abuse is immoral.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    editor likes this.
  11. editor

editor hiraethified

I wonder if there's much of a market for second hand Billericay Town themed sports cars?

YTC and Pink Panther like this.
  12. Pink Panther

He could increase the resale value by having it resprayed.

editor likes this.
  13. pitchfork

pitchfork Well-Known Member

I quite like those chairs in his dining room. Maybe he could have a yard sale and donate the proceeds to having the mural painted over.

Better still he could rent his house out to all the players he’s paid loads of cash to so he could recoup his investment, a mansion full of money grabbing losers!

14. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

Woops. Ignore this. Lost track of the thread

15. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Personally I think the mural should be preserved in some way... for me it really is up there with the Michael Jackson station that was in Craven Cottage!:D

scousedom likes this.
  16. Pink Panther

What! They've renamed Putney Bridge station now as well?

17. Pink Panther

[​IMG]

YTC, Son of Roy and editor like this.
  18. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Really?

Apparently Mark Baker works for the Co-Op

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  19. 3010

3010 Well-Known Member

A couple more departures today:

20. Dodger

Dodger Active Member

Both joined in the summer from higher up Barnet and forest green respectively I think. So probably on a decent wage.

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  21. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Wake me up when the core players leave. Parkes. Robinson. Etc etc.

22. Pink Panther

Looks like they're rebuilding the team around Archie.

B.I.G, barnsleydulwich and editor like this.
  23. barnsleydulwich

barnsleydulwich Active Member

Install Archie as captain/manager/owner now!

B.I.G likes this.
  24. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Could Archie set up a steel company to take on the football club's debts?

Pink Panther likes this.
  25. editor

editor hiraethified

Muriel's Wikipedia page is quite interesting if you've a minute or two to idly kill:

Glenn Tamplin - Wikipedia

Say, what?!

2019-09-25_135647.jpg

2018 Essex Power 100 List - Essex Power 100

26. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

I’d rather read about Mishi’s toe on Twitter if I’m honest.

Moroccan Sunset and Jamie Wyatt like this.
  27. editor

editor hiraethified

Link?

28. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Really?

I know you are joking because now that Tamplin senior has effing effed off they don't have to play junior.
    You know Glenn is going to buy the club back off himself next week for double what he sold it for so he can claim the loss as a tax deduction ;)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  29. Aldaniti

Aldaniti Member

House is off the market. He must have bought it back off himself before he buys the club back off himself.

Pink Panther likes this.
  30. Pink Panther

Or he's sold it to Lord Sugar, the only person in Essex more "powerful and influential" than himself.