Foreign speeding ticket

Discussion in 'transport' started by Bahnhof Strasse, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Holiday in Italy last summer, I came home on 27th August, Frau Bahn and the Baby Bahns stayed for a few more days. Hertz billed us in September for €30 as their admin fee grassing us for a speeding ticket.

Fast forward to today, a ticket has arrived from the Italian authorities demanding €135 for the speeding, it’s in my name, but the offence was committed on 30th August. There is no option to say it was someone else, only an address to appeal, appeals must be in Italian.

Should I just ignore it?

A380 likes this.
  2. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Wait till after BrexShit and see the cunts try and come after you

Rosemary Jest, T & P, A380 and 16 others like this.
  3. dessiato

dessiato Ua Mau ke Ea o ka ʻĀina i ka Pono

If you can prove it wasn't you fight it. But take into consideration how much this might cost compared to just paying up.

Badgers likes this.
  4. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Ignore it. They're trying it on. Italian cops have no juristiction here and they're hardly going to put in an extradition request for 130 euro.

Lupa, QueenOfGoths and Badgers like this.
  5. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Write back in English, 24 point and bold, all caps natch

emanymton, A380, keybored and 9 others like this.
  6. polly

polly Well-Known Member

I would have thought you can safely ignore it but I'm happy to help with an appeal if you want - used to live there, still have functioning Italian.

A380, Maggot, Lupa and 4 others like this.
  7. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

I want to say 'damn their eyes, sir!', but I'd be tempted to just pay the forrin-types off.

If we end up going back to the world of having to get an International Driving License then having some irate Italians on your tail might make life tedious.

You could appeal, and you'd be right to do so, but if it's taken them six months to produce the ticket and they got the date wrong, do you expect them to be terrifyingly efficient at clearing it up?

A380, Sprocket. and Pickman's model like this.
  8. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I had a speeding ticket from a visit to the US. There was no doubt as we had been pulled over by a state trooper. They wanted something I don't recall exactly, perhaps $80.00 it was a little tricky because I wanted to visit the US again and didn't want to be held up because of an unpaid fine.

In the end I sent them a UK cheque made out for $80.00 as far as I can recall they never cashed it.

A380 and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  9. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

Write 'vaffanculo' on a piece of paper and send it back.

T & P, A380, Yossarian and 4 others like this.
  10. They have the date right, it was Frau Bahn driving, but they have sent it to me as I hired the car, she was a named driver, all legit.

A380, Pickman's model and kebabking like this.
  11. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Are you planning on going back? If not then fuck them off :hmm:

A380 likes this.
  12. No, liked Italy but prefer Spain.

Badgers likes this.
  13. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

I would probably pay it tbh Bahnhof Strasse. It could increase to stupid amounts and turn into a nightmare. Obviously the hire company has given your address and if it came to it they'd probably grass you up for already paying the admin fee.

Was Frau Strasse a registered driver but the hire contact was yours?

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  14. Spymaster

Spymaster I'm alright Javid

Whenever I've had tickets in hire cars overseas they've charged my credit card via the hire company.

15. Epona

Epona Down with battered parsnips

I am possibly going to make myself (even more) unpopular by saying this, but have any of you considered following the driving rules wherever you are in the first place and not getting a ticket? :D

16. existentialist

existentialist Apprentice bachelor

17. Sprocket.

Sprocket. I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times!

Having witnessed Italian driving I’m surprised they’ve got the balls to even attempt this. :D

A380, polly, keybored and 4 others like this.
  18. Poot

Poot Everyone's a superhero, everyone's a Captain Kirk

A friend got one from Spain for 100 Euros. He simply sent off all of his family's spare Euros, which totalled about 96 Euros and it magically went away.

Riklet, A380 and Pickman's model like this.
  19. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

you shouldn't say this straight out.

you should offer to sell secret advice on how to avoid speeding / parking fines and only tell people this after they have sent you money

:p

OzT, kebabking, Celyn and 1 other person like this.
  20. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Patterdale Terrorist

I believe "vaffanculo" is the correct response in these situations

E2a ah now I've RTFT I see esteemed linguist maomao concurs :thumbs:

Bahnhof Strasse and maomao like this.
  21. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

Better start learning Italian prison slang - just in case :hmm:

kebabking and existentialist like this.
  22. existentialist

existentialist Apprentice bachelor

"Al Fresco" in Italian means "in prison" :D

fishfinger likes this.
  23. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

As of May 2017 there is a bilateral agreement in place for driving offences.
    On the motorcycle forums I'm on loads of people started getting them last summer.
    I think most paid as they want to go back to the country they got them from.
    I've not heard of any follow up agencies chasing money yet.

Driving offence abroad | AA

A380 and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  24. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man Banned

No.

25. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

Straight in the bin. When I lived in Belgium I always had Luxembourg plates on my car (tax fiddle) and got loads of tickets from the UK especially but also France and Netherlands. I also had 30+ City of Westminster parking tickets. I just chucked them all and never heard anything about them.

26. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Seagull + Chips = Happy Seagull

Beat me to it. No sympathy for drivers breaking the rules.

We'll go to the airport to wave Bahnhof Strasse farewell when he is extradited. :thumbs:

fishfinger likes this.
  27. hash tag

hash tag never too old

Again! :facepalm:

Rutita1 and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  28. hash tag

hash tag never too old

29. The sat Mac went bong as you approached a camera (shit loads of them in Italy it seems), so I never got flashed. I can’t speak for Frau Bahn.

kebabking likes this.
  30. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Patterdale Terrorist

Don't be ridiculous :facepalm:

Have you ever met an Audi driver? :hmm: