1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For Freedom - Hamlet WW2 Roll of Honour

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Blitzwalker, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Blitzwalker

Blitzwalker Well-Known Member

I thought this was worth a new thread, so here goes. The new booklet covering our Second World War Roll of Honour is now completed and is at the printers as we speak. We anticipate it being available for sale at the end of October, with an official launch on Friday 10th November. The reason for the Friday launch date is that we aren't guaranteed a home match on the 11th because of potential cup commitments plus there are rather too many other things occurring on a match day to do the subject justice. The plan is that we will have a brief commemoration and wreath-laying in the Boardroom on the Friday evening, following which Roger D and I will be doing a short talk on the WW1 and WW2 dead respectively, followed by some sort of Q&A, after which the book will be available for purchase, as will Roger's "When will...." for those who don't already have a copy.

The book has been interesting work and quite challenging at times too but many people have helped, both from within the club and outside - from within notably Jack McInroy, Roger D Dulwich Mishi DonkeyAssessor GavinH PartisanDulwich along with many others who have helped with ideas and provided encouragement where necessary. Thanks to you all for your help and hopefully, the book will be of interest, both to our supporters as well as a wider audience.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  2. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

As mentioned above I've had a minor hand in this. As such I know a little bit about what is in this booklet. Suffice to say it is excellent, Steve has done a fantastic job on the WW2 dead. If you enjoyed the WW1 booklet this booklet comes highly recommended.

3. Blitzwalker

Thanks Roger - your input was invaluable as was that of everyone who got involved. As there were 'only' four casualties in WW2, I was worried as to whether there would be enough material to justify a booklet. I needn't have worried though - I guess because these chaps played in an era where contemporary news coverage, whether it be programmes or local press, was more widespread and has survived the test of time, we have been able to discover a fair bit about them. Also, the fact that two of them were quite high profile amateur internationals has helped as has the fact that WW2 service and unit histories have survived far better than many WW1 equivalents. Hopefully, people will find their stories of interest and this booklet will also hopefully give a more general insight as to what people went through during the wartime years.

4. DonkeyAssessor

DonkeyAssessor Well-Known Member

I must say it has been an honour and privilege to provide what little I have been able to contribute, and congratulate Steve for collating ot all together. I look forward to reading the full edition.

chris gil likes this.
  5. Blitzwalker

Just bumping this to remind everyone that we're holding our annual Remembrance commemoration this Friday evening in the boadroom at 7:30pm. Following the commemoration (which is brief and informal), we will then be launching our WW2 Roll of Honour booklet, which is entitled 'For Freedom' which will then be available for sale from myself, Jack McInroy and in the Megacontainer on match days, priced £3 per copy.

I will be doing a brief talk to introduce the book and to give some background as to how we got the whole thing together, as will Roger D with his fine WW1 work 'When Will Their Glory...' and we will be happy to take questions afterwards and hopefully provide some sensible answers!

The bottom line is though - we want you to buy our books and keep the memory of these Hamlet players of yesteryear alive!

Hope to see as many of you as possible on Friday but for those that can't make it, both Jack and I will be taking a limited supply of the new book to Harlow with us on Saturday.

Attached Files:

Jimbob73 likes this.
  6. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

7. darryl

darryl this wasn't supposed to happen

I'm going to try to make it over.

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  8. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

Remembrance ceremony at Champion Hill tonight to honour those Dulwich Hamlet players killed in WW1 and WW2
    Very good attendance

remerance roll dulwich hamlet DSC05012.JPG dulwich hamlet memomorial ww1 ww2 roll of honour DSC05030.jpg

9. PartisanDulwich

Steve Hunnisett speaking at the launch of his excellent new publication "For Freedom" on the lives of those Dulwich Hamlet players killed in WW2

You can get your copy from the mega shed

steve DSC05011.JPG

dcdulwich and clog like this.
  10. PartisanDulwich

Good to hear Mishi referring to the plight of Altona (Hamburg) players killed in the World Wars and especially Adolf Jäger one of Altona's star players killed defusing a bomb during WW2

Also should be noted that Steve Hunnisett book, is also commendable for mentioning Altona and the plight of Adolf Jager

mishi roll ww1 ww2 dulwich hamlet DSC04998.jpg

11. Blitzwalker

I think perspective is always important in any study of history.