For Freedom - Hamlet WW2 Roll of Honour

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Blitzwalker, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Blitzwalker

Blitzwalker Well-Known Member

I thought this was worth a new thread, so here goes. The new booklet covering our Second World War Roll of Honour is now completed and is at the printers as we speak. We anticipate it being available for sale at the end of October, with an official launch on Friday 10th November. The reason for the Friday launch date is that we aren't guaranteed a home match on the 11th because of potential cup commitments plus there are rather too many other things occurring on a match day to do the subject justice. The plan is that we will have a brief commemoration and wreath-laying in the Boardroom on the Friday evening, following which Roger D and I will be doing a short talk on the WW1 and WW2 dead respectively, followed by some sort of Q&A, after which the book will be available for purchase, as will Roger's "When will...." for those who don't already have a copy.

The book has been interesting work and quite challenging at times too but many people have helped, both from within the club and outside - from within notably Jack McInroy, Roger D Dulwich Mishi DonkeyAssessor GavinH PartisanDulwich along with many others who have helped with ideas and provided encouragement where necessary. Thanks to you all for your help and hopefully, the book will be of interest, both to our supporters as well as a wider audience.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  2. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

As mentioned above I've had a minor hand in this. As such I know a little bit about what is in this booklet. Suffice to say it is excellent, Steve has done a fantastic job on the WW2 dead. If you enjoyed the WW1 booklet this booklet comes highly recommended.

3. Blitzwalker

Thanks Roger - your input was invaluable as was that of everyone who got involved. As there were 'only' four casualties in WW2, I was worried as to whether there would be enough material to justify a booklet. I needn't have worried though - I guess because these chaps played in an era where contemporary news coverage, whether it be programmes or local press, was more widespread and has survived the test of time, we have been able to discover a fair bit about them. Also, the fact that two of them were quite high profile amateur internationals has helped as has the fact that WW2 service and unit histories have survived far better than many WW1 equivalents. Hopefully, people will find their stories of interest and this booklet will also hopefully give a more general insight as to what people went through during the wartime years.

4. DonkeyAssessor

DonkeyAssessor Well-Known Member

I must say it has been an honour and privilege to provide what little I have been able to contribute, and congratulate Steve for collating ot all together. I look forward to reading the full edition.

chris gil likes this.
  5. Blitzwalker

Just bumping this to remind everyone that we're holding our annual Remembrance commemoration this Friday evening in the boadroom at 7:30pm. Following the commemoration (which is brief and informal), we will then be launching our WW2 Roll of Honour booklet, which is entitled 'For Freedom' which will then be available for sale from myself, Jack McInroy and in the Megacontainer on match days, priced £3 per copy.

I will be doing a brief talk to introduce the book and to give some background as to how we got the whole thing together, as will Roger D with his fine WW1 work 'When Will Their Glory...' and we will be happy to take questions afterwards and hopefully provide some sensible answers!

The bottom line is though - we want you to buy our books and keep the memory of these Hamlet players of yesteryear alive!

Hope to see as many of you as possible on Friday but for those that can't make it, both Jack and I will be taking a limited supply of the new book to Harlow with us on Saturday.

Attached Files:

Jimbob73 likes this.
  6. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

7. darryl

darryl this wasn't supposed to happen

I'm going to try to make it over.

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  8. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

Remembrance ceremony at Champion Hill tonight to honour those Dulwich Hamlet players killed in WW1 and WW2
    Very good attendance

remerance roll dulwich hamlet DSC05012.JPG dulwich hamlet memomorial ww1 ww2 roll of honour DSC05030.jpg

9. PartisanDulwich

Steve Hunnisett speaking at the launch of his excellent new publication "For Freedom" on the lives of those Dulwich Hamlet players killed in WW2

You can get your copy from the mega shed

steve DSC05011.JPG

dcdulwich and clog like this.
  10. PartisanDulwich

Good to hear Mishi referring to the plight of Altona (Hamburg) players killed in the World Wars and especially Adolf Jäger one of Altona's star players killed defusing a bomb during WW2

Also should be noted that Steve Hunnisett book, is also commendable for mentioning Altona and the plight of Adolf Jager

mishi roll ww1 ww2 dulwich hamlet DSC04998.jpg

11. Blitzwalker

I think perspective is always important in any study of history.

12. DonkeyAssessor

Since the recent publication of Steve Hunnisett’s excellent book “For Freedom” , some information has come to light which suggests another person arguably ought to have been included on the DHFC memorial to players (albeit a former one) who paid the ultimate sacrifice in World War 2.

The match programme for a game against Walthamstow Avenue on 20th March 1943, contains the following text :-

“Several of you will remember Charles Ede, one of our ex- Juniors , who is reported missing in the Middle East.” "We trust his relatives may have good news of him"

Clearly that was not to be.

Far from being merely an ex Junior (who had also represented Surrey at Junior level) , it transpires that Charles Ede was understudy to Edgar Kail, when the great man was either injured or on representative duty.

One such occasion was on January 7th 1933, for the London Senior Cup tie against London Caledonians when it was reported in the match programme:-

“Owing to the amateur international trial at Wolverhampton, we are compelled to make changes…… C. E. Ede our regular Reserve inside right will play for E. Kail. “. (some three months earlier, Charles had played outside right for the reserves in a 10-1 victory over the same opposition.)

But clearly his opportunities were limited, and the programme for the Amateur cup tie against Walthamstow Avenue dated January 13th 1934, informs of the following:-

C. E. EDE

Has been transferred to Kingstonian F.C. We quote from the Player’s letter to the Club.

“Although I hate leaving the Hamlet, I do not wish to go back to Reserve Team football.”

In the circumstances it was decided not to object to the transfer. However, we desire to express our appreciation of the services of Chas. Ede to Dulwich Hamlet Football Club. It is unfortunate that at the moment, we could not find him a regular place in the First team. We wish him every success with his new club.

CHARLES EDWARD EDE

Born Croydon 1911, died Algeria 20th November 1942

Bombardier, Regiment H.Q. 45 Lt A.A. Regt, Royal Artillery . Service number 1734217

Buried at Dely Ibrahim war cemetery, in the western suburbs of Algiers

Casualty

Charles was the son of Harry and Eva Emma (nee Collyer) who were married in Croydon the autumn of 1903 . There are no younger siblings (and no obvious older ones recorded in free BMD.)

Charles married Ellen Elizabeth Copeland in the late summer, early autumn Wandsworth 1936.

There are no children (recorded in Free BMD.)

At the time of Charles’s death, Ellen’s address is given as Tooting.

It would appear that His mother died in late spring, early summer 1952 Mid E Surrey.

His wife Ellen may well have remarried. ( There are at least three different candidates for her birth and more than one for her death. )

(Further details of their family are in the process of being ascertained.)

The 45th Light Anti Aircraft Regiment of the Royal Artillery, formed in 1940 was initially part of the 11th AA Division , and tasked with defending Crewe during the Blitz.

In November 1942 they landed in North Africa as part of the Operation Torch detachment (which commenced on the 8th) , to the east of Algiers around the towns of Bougies (now Bejara) and Djidjelli airfield (Jijel).

It was in these areas that the 45th (along with other troops) set up AA batteries in close defence, to defend their newly won and often open positions, against the Axis air command repeatedly attacking with Junckers 87s and 88s flying in at 5,000 to 6,000 feet.

I am attempting to obtains more details of events of the 20th November 1942.

In view of the fact he was only remembered at the club in 1943 as a junior a decade earlier, it is hardly surprising he had been forgotten about altogether when the memorial was initiated six years later. But whatever I can ascertain about Charles’ life I will incorporate in a document, which perhaps might be included as an insert in still to be sold copies of Steve’s book. I think Charles giving his life for his country is worthy of inclusion.

I would therefore appreciate any information which might be gleaned from DH handbooks from the 1931 to 1935 period (which I don’t have access to) relating to Charles’ DH playing career, and also his subsequent career with Kingstonian and/or any other club.

Similarly, any knowledge of whether he is included on any other club’s war memorial.

Thanks

(edited , date of programme notification of Charles Ede missing, should have read March 1943, and additional comment added )

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    Blitzwalker and PartisanDulwich like this.
  13. Roger D

Have to say this looks like a club decision to exclude him from the memorial and only to include men associated with the club in the run up to the war. (Which doesn't necessarily bind the club today.) Post WW1 all ex members the club knew of went on the memorial.

Here the club clearly knew Charles was missing in 1942. It seems unlikely that he would be forgotten by the end of the war.

If so that raises the spectre that there are possibly (probability?) that other ex-Hamlet men killed in WW2 were also excluded from the memorial.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    3010 and PartisanDulwich like this.
  14. Roger D

Just to add there are a few hits on him playing for Hamlet and K's in a newspaper database I use. I'm away for a few days but will have a rummage for you in the not too distant future.

It seems likely that Charles didn't last more than a couple of seasons at K's. Might be worth approaching them to see if anyone knows where he went next. There certainly used to be a few people interested in their history.

Also I seem to recall seeing a war memorial at their old ground in Norbiton. (In the corridor, near the bar entrance.) Not been there for years so may be wrong but... Guess it'll probably be in storage somewhere if I'm right but again an e-mail to them seems worthwhile.

DonkeyAssessor likes this.
  15. Blitzwalker

Well done Ian for discovering this, although there is now a slight feeling inside me of not knowing whether to laugh or cry, having spent a year on the book, only to have it shown up as an incomplete record within days of it coming out!

Next time I visit the National Archives, which will be in the early New Year, I will check out his unit’s war diary for the date in question to see if I can discover more about the action in which our man died. I’d be happy to write up an insert, or perhaps Ian, we should look at a future article for a HH magazine?

I suppose there is the danger that we may never know if there were others left off the memorial but it does all seem a bit arbitrary leaving a man off the list.

16. DonkeyAssessor

No need to do either Steve. You could only work with the information which was on the memorial which inspired and initiated your work.

As Roger says, we are dealing with an unknown quantity, as there may well be others.

It was rather ironic (and almost now haunting) , that I first discovered and followed up on Charles Ede's story, (unbeknowingly at the time) in the late hours immediately before the 75th anniversary of his death !

I was thinking about heading for the Army Museum library in the New Year to follow up on the Military side. Thanks for your offer of a visit to the Archives, I would like to join you as you have such extensive experience for my to draw on.

I will be more than happy to compile my findings and write them up for HH.

I intend to ask the gentleman who has recently purchased these runs of wartime programmes , to advise of any more which highlight any others which would flag and detail ex players who may have fallen.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    Blitzwalker likes this.
  17. Blitzwalker

Absolutely no problem. I usually go there on a Friday, so we’ll work out a day in the new year. You’ll need a Readers Ticket to get into the main Search Room, so bring photo ID (passport, driving licence) and a recent utility bill as proof of address. It’ll take about 10 minutes to do it.

In the meantime, I’ve emailed Kingston’s Chairman who might know about a memorial/roll of honour.

18. DonkeyAssessor

The publication of Steve's book seems to have woken a few ghosts up.

The programme for the game against Pinner on Saturday 2nd December 1944 (attached) refers to the loss of Alan Adams at Arnhem.

"It is with deep regret we have to record the death of Alan Adams. Alan was a glider pilot with the First Airborne Division at Arnhem. He landed his party safely but shortly afterwards was killed" (Sadly, Steve now knows this NOT to be correct)
    "
    He was a promising left back with the reserves, and had one or two games with the senior side prior to joining the Forces. His father used to referee some of our games on the top pitch , and some time ago suffered another great bereavement when his wife was killed by enemy action . Our sincere sympathy is extended to him." ( His father was Richard James Adams, initially a shipping clerk, later an accountant).

Alan was actually christened Richard Alexander Adams ( and referred to as Richard Allen Adams on the CWGC site).

Casualty

He died on the 18th September 1944 and is now buried in the very moving Oosterbeek CWGC cemetery. (Having been re-interred from his initial burial place, which Steve will ultimately report.)

Richard A Adams | ParaData

Research shows the family (originating from Liverpool before "Alan"'s birth in May 1925 ) lived initially at 90 Bushey Hill Raod , and then 58 Sunray Avenue, (then SE24) .

He had an elder sister, Patricia M.

His mother Pyarea Victoria Adams (nee Rhind) died aged 43 on the 19th February 1944.

Steve and I are in the process of respectively delving into their military and family history and will update in due course.

Clearly we would welcome any information from anybody knowing the family (or Alan during his playing career) , not least a photograph.

(He too has not been included on the DHFC memorial, for reasons that will probably never be known).

edited to add additional family information.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    3010 and PartisanDulwich like this.
  19. DonkeyAssessor

I am no longer able to edit the previous post.

Richard J Adams (the father of Alan) continued to live at 58 Sunray Avenue for 3 more years.

During 1947 a William J and Minnie E Stevenson were also living at the property with him, (be it as family or lodgers), but ALL were gone by 1948 by which time the McCay family had moved in.

Unfortunately I cannot tie up a marriage record for the Stevensons.

And there were at least 4 Patricia Adams married in the Greater London area in 1944 and 1945.

But investigation will continue.

Some irony that Sunray Avenue and Woodward Road, in which Alan and Reg Anderton respectively resided, were both former homes of DHFC

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  20. Al Crane

Al Crane Well-Known Member

Further info on Charles Ede.

Information from the 1930-31 handbook:

Scored 4 goals in 12 games for the reserves.
    Scored 19 goals in 16 games for the 'A' team.

Information from the 1933-34 handbook:

Scored 7 goals in 11 games for the first team.
    Scored 14 goals for the reserves.

Looks like the suggestion of him as understudy to Kail seems to be fairly accurate based on his goalscoring exploits.

I don't have access to the 31-32/32-33 handbooks but Jack McInroy should do.

Ede is also noted as having represented Surrey Juniors (sometime between 1930-33) and this appears to have been the extent of any representative honours bestowed upon him throughout his career.

DonkeyAssessor and Blitzwalker like this.
  21. Blitzwalker

Thanks Al, I will have a word with Jack. I’m trying to discover where (if anywhere) he moved to after his time at Kingstonian but nobody I’ve spoken to thus far (including the Ks historian) seems to know.

22. DonkeyAssessor

To give a brief update on Charles Ede's life (in addition to the information kindly supplied by Al for which I thank him)

His first goals for the DH first team came (both) in the 2-2 draw away to Tufnell Park on 17th January 1931 .

He also scored twice in the 4-2 Westminster Hospital cup win, and at least 5 goals for the reserves that season (2 in an 11-0 win over Woking, and in away league wins at Oxford City, Wycombe and London Caledonians).

The programme v Ilford on February 20th 1932 stated “the reserves have now scored 111 goals in 20 games, 6 games to play. The record is 110 goals in 26 games. “ It went on to state “ If cup tie success continues, the reserves must take over some of the 1st team league fixtures. “ “Five of the following as a forward line, should be good enough Dye – Rayson, Ede, Court, Moseley, Levy, Sherman “.

As we know the team did have some cup success, and Charles again deputised for Edgar Kail in the 0-3 home defeat to Oxford City, the week after the Amateur Cup final.

(This game against Oxford City, was the 5th league game of the 7, that the club were forced to play in 9 days after the Amateur Cup win in April 1932, the first 6 of which ended in defeat ! An achievement that hopefully Billericay can emulate by flying the flag for the Isthmian league in the Trophy this season ! )

I am trying to establish if he made enough appearances for Ks in 1933/34, to have qualified for an Isthmian League winners medal.

But the bigger challenge now is his business life. His marriage certificate (August 1936) describes his occupation as a "Periodical Editor". But so far I have been unable to establish which.

A Charles Ede (or Eade) was editor of the Sunday Dispatch in 1940, but this gentleman held the position until the late 1950s, so is clearly NOT the same person.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  23. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

I'm not sure if they gave winners medals back in the day....check out the Isthmian League motto.

Pink Panther likes this.
  24. Blitzwalker

According to the 1939 Register, Charles Ede was living at 17 Netherfield Road, Upper Tooting, which at that time was in the Metropolitan Borough of Wandsworth. He was indeed a "Periodical Editor" of a publication called "Food & Teaplate" which I must confess isn't one I'm familar with!

I'm going to pay a visit to my local archives to see what I can glean about the publication from the Kelly's Directories for the period.