Football & War Seminar - Free Event at Champion Hill - Weds 27th March

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Blitzwalker, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Really?

Hythe Town would love the Loos football. Being a bunch of cloggers and having a pitch like no man's land they would do well.

2. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Just curious... when is the last time you saw Hythe Town play?

3. Dulwich Mishi

Just bumping this up. Believe me, if you love our great history, or just enjoy football history generally, you really will regret not going to this unique & fascinating one off event at Champion Hill tonight! I’m even missing Croydon v. Chatham Town for it...

Blitzwalker likes this.
  4. Blitzwalker

Blitzwalker Well-Known Member

Thanks Mishi - great minds and all that, I meant to bump this yesterday. I’m really hoping for a good turn out both from our own contingent and from the football world in general. I’ve seen four of the visual presentations now (sneak preview as it’s running through my laptop) and I promise that we’re in for something special tonight. Some very professional looking presentations there.

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  5. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

I've arrived in London but please don't let that out you off attending....

I have dug out a few more copies of the WW1 book at home and will drop them off tonight. The book has recouped its costs so any copies sold tonight sees every penny go to Twelfth Man. Yours for just six quid. Don't forget to buy Jack's book too mind.

Blitzwalker likes this.
  6. Blitzwalker

106DEF39-B3BC-4168-B247-FAF140DDBBDC.jpeg Just a fantastic night all round, despite a few issues with the microphone. Some excellent speakers and presentations, the Loos Football and an attendance of around 60 football and history fans. As well as our own DHFC contingent, we had supporters from Charlton Athletic (two trustees from their museum), Palace, Spurs, Fulham, Epsom & Ewell, Exeter City and Ipswich Town (that I was aware of - maybe others too.) I’m pretty sure that we’ll be asked to host another of these events in a year or so’s time.

Even a regular speaker like Tim Godden was awestruck at seeing the Loos Football and was able to get his latest portrait photographed with it.

A great night, thanks to our speakers, to everyone who attended and to Tom Cullen and Dave at the DHFC Clubhouse for getting the event on.

7. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

It was a brilliant night with every speaker delivering well thought out & researched pieces. The varying topics flowed throughout the night as they covered both Dulwich Hamlet (in depth) and football in general during the war (s), so for anybody with even a passing interest in either subject it was an excellent evening.

Highlight for me was Tim giving a detailed breakdown of the process behind his portraits in what is obviously a long drawn out affair from beginning to end. No doubt something everybody last night will testify to.

A big thanks to Steve, and all the speakers both old & new.

PS – The Loos football was amazing although I wished I had brought my actual football gloves along for what should been the best photo of all time.

Dulwich Mishi and Blitzwalker like this.
  8. Blitzwalker

Glad you enjoyed it - I loved the variety of the presentations and the quality of them

Did you get a photo with the ball?

9. Cyclodunc

Cyclodunc Where's the slam tent, mate?

No-one thought to invite Rebecca Loos? Heard she’s not afraid of being hands on with pig skin.

Blitzwalker likes this.
  10. Dulwich Mishi

I did!

Attached Files:

11. Dulwich Mishi

I also took lots of snaps of the slides on the screen, so if you know me on Twitter you will find all of the photos I took of all the speakers on there.

Blitzwalker likes this.
  12. Dulwich Mishi

I thoroughly enjoyed all five speakers, all very well presented in a way that everyone could understand not spoken in an academic style. I was a bit worried about being bored, as I’d heard our three Hamlet speakers before, but that certainly wasn’t the case. I felt privileged just be sitting in the audience. A cracking evening, many thanks to all who organised it and spoke.

Blitzwalker likes this.
  13. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Really?

Not recently but I bet things haven't changed. Ryman South. Erhun was playing and we lost due to being continually clogged. I remember his Dad getting into a 'disagreement' with some older Hythe supporters that should have been acting their age.

14. Dulwich Mishi

Really? You’re saying things haven’t changed in six years? Unless it’s the same manager I’d say things do change in the way teams play...

15. DonkeyAssessor

DonkeyAssessor Well-Known Member

Following on to Steve's presentation, where the subject of DH's Bevin Boy came up, I believe he was Roy Hillier, and it was reported in a match programme for a game on 22nd January 1944. I will seek further confirmation.
    May I add to what overs have said already, as to what an excellent informativce evening it was, and thank all those responsible for putting it on for their efforts.

16. Blitzwalker

One thing I’ve only just picked up on today but Frank Edwards, the Footballer of Loos, as depicted in Tim’s latest drawing, was born in 1893. Need I say more?

17. DonkeyAssessor

DonkeyAssessor Well-Known Member

I can confirm that the programme for a game v The Royal Corps of signals on Jan 22nd 1944, states that a junior named R Hillier (who I assume to be Roy) , was called up for the mines.
    However a proramme from January 20th 1945, states that "latterly most have have gone into the Army without the exception of one or two more in the mines " !!!
    My collection from that era is far from complete, and I can find no further evidence to substantiate that claim. Maybe others can and advise.

Another issue from that era reports that Bert Humphreys served with the National Fire Service , another duty of major importance during wartime.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  18. Blitzwalker

Thanks Ian. I knew about Bert Humphreys and was going to mention him in my original draft of my talk but as I always try not to slavishly refer to my notes, he unfortunately got missed out on the night. He’ll appear in the blog version of it though on the University’s website.

Incidentally, if you joined the Auxiliary Fire Service (as it was originally named) you became automatically exempted from call-up to the armed forces, hence quite a few conscientious objectors joined, thus avoiding the awkward situation of refusing military service. You were paid the princely sum of £3 a week, which not even good money by 1940 standards, so they couldn’t be accused of joining for the money.

They attracted a lot of hostility during the “Phoney War” period - “£3 a week Army dodgers” was one typical newspaper headline. As soon as the raids started though, attitudes changed considerably and most sensible people realised that they were just normal people helping to defend their own neighbourhood. The AFS was a very interesting organisation with the ethnicity of each area being largely reflected in the local fire service, so for example in Jewish areas of London, you had something like 90% of the local Civil Defence formed from the local Jewish community.

For those interested, “A Fireman’s Tale” by Cyril Demarne gives a very good insight into the wartime fire service. I might have just stumbled across the subject of my next talk when we host the event in 2020!

Pink Panther likes this.