Football & War Seminar - Free Event at Champion Hill - Weds 27th March

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Blitzwalker, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Blitzwalker

Blitzwalker Well-Known Member

Some of you may remember that I was asked to speak at the 'Football & War' seminar last year at Wolverhampton University. In order to reach a wider audience outside of the West Midlands, it has now been decided to hold some of these events 'on the road' and as such, we have been asked to host the first of these at Champion Hill, in the clubhouse on Wednesday 27th March, running from 7pm to 10pm, with a break for refreshments approximately halfway through.

The 'in house' speakers will be Roger Deason, Jack McInroy and myself, who will be talking about the Club's involvement in both World Wars as well as our player casualties. Following a break, we will then have two guest speakers - Tim Godden, the artist and illustrator who has recently drawn Edgar Kail and Hussein Hegazi (and Adolf Jager) and who has donated a percentage of the sales of these prints to the 12th Man. The other guest speaker will be Professor Gary Sheffield, the eminent military historian and author, who will be speaking about the wider connections between football and war. I would anticipate that Tim will have prints on sale and possibly Gary will have some of his books available as well. We will also make sure that we have copies of Roger's and my books available to anyone who hasn't got them as yet!

This is a real feather in our cap to be asked to host this event, which is free to attend, so it would be great if we could get a really good turn out in support. It should be a fascinating evening and will be of interest, not only to history-loving Hamlet fans but also to anyone with a wider interest in history and football in general, no matter which club they support.

We'll be getting this event publicised properly and will be pushing it on social media as well.

As I get more details, I will post them on this thread.

2. Blitzwalker

OK, as promised - an update on this event. We're confirmed for 7pm on Wednesday 27th March. There will be five speakers on the following subjects:

Jack McInroy - "The Hussein Hegazi Story"
    Roger Deason - "Dulwich Hamlet 1914 - 1919"
    Steve Hunnisett - "Dulwich Hamlet 1939 - 1945"

Tim Godden - "Footballers of the Great War - The Stories Behind The Drawings"
    Professor Gary Sheffield - "Football, The British Army and the First World War"

There will also be a Q&A session after the talks.

Each talk will be for 30 minutes and between the "in-house" speakers and our guest speakers, there will be a short interval, although the bar will be open all evening and I understand will also be selling food by this time.

The talks will all be illustrated and I am particularly looking forward to hearing our guest speakers. Tim will be exhibiting his prints and I'm sure will also have some for sale. Our very own Jack McInroy will also have his new book about Hussein Hegazi available, whilst Roger and my books will be available as well for those who don't already have them.

There will be posters for this event appearing very soon, so please spread the word - it is a free event and is very much open to supporters of all football clubs who have an interest in the history of the game. It'd be great to have a decent attendance.

pompeydunc, pettyboy, Taper and 3 others like this.
  3. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Really looking forward to this, although I'll have heard 'our' three speakers before it will be an honour & a privilege to listen to them all.

Blitzwalker likes this.
  4. Blitzwalker

Thanks Mishi - I’m particularly looking forward to hearing Gary Sheffield, as he is a ‘big hitter’ in the military history world and it’ll be a real insight to hear him. Every day’s a school day for me!

It should be a fascinating night.

Dulwich Mishi likes this.
  5. Taper

Taper Well-Known Member

Sounds great.

Blitzwalker likes this.
  6. Roger D

Roger D Well-Known Member

If anyone doesn't know who Gary Sheffield is, he is recognised as one of Britain's premier WW1historians, arguably the premier. It's a bit surreal that he's turning up at the Hamlet.

If you have any interest in this sort of thing then this is unmissable. Feel free to turn up late and miss me but you won't get many / any chances to hear Gary in Dulwich again. Put simply name any other non league club he has spoken at......

Blitzwalker likes this.
  7. Blitzwalker

Absolutely, by all means miss me as well but Gary is the real deal. An Arsenal supporter but we’ll forgive him that for coming to Champion Hill!

Taper likes this.
  8. Blitzwalker