Football Leaks

Discussion in 'football' started by tommers, Nov 2, 2018.

1. RD2003

RD2003 Well-Known Member

Clearly not working out well for De Bruyne then.

2. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

That's what happens when you are chemically recovered vs actually fit

3. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Oof, even Paddy Power with the digs. That's what I mean by meme. It's blatant.

Threshers_Flail and tommers like this.
  4. RD2003

RD2003 Well-Known Member

How far is an article to be trusted that carries an headline calling them the FIFA FFP rules when they are, in fact, the UEFA FFP rules? As for 'systematically violating' any rules, it is still the case that City have been penalised only the once. And have their finances closely scrutinised by the game's governing bodies. Infantino, whetever else he may or may not be guilty of, did not buckle under any kind of undue pressure, but came to a settlement with a business which was doing what any business would in such circumstances, which is apply the maximum pressure to get a result when its strategic goals were under attack (and let us not forget, under attack from a set of rules which would not stand up in a court of law). Perhaps the 'smaller clubs' didn't carry the same weight, but it still remains that City's negotiating method was no different than that of any other business. Plus, the 'smaller clubs' were banned from the CL for entirely different reasons from what City were penalised for, and from each other, if I remember correctly.

It's true that the whole thing is corrupt-as is business on a worldwide scale-how could it not be? But the primary corruption lies in the illegal FFP rules, implemented by a body that stinks of corruption throughout.

It's no accident that the stuff about City and PSG, if nothing else contained there, originates in a German publication, as the whole thing has the whiff of Bayern and the bitter Rummenigge about it.

5. RD2003

RD2003 Well-Known Member

Chemically recovered? He'd been out since August. And the current injury is to the other knee.

This carries about as much weight as the bitter claims from poor losers that Leicester won the league on PEDS.

6. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

Have you read the article?. They settled without breaking the rules?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  7. sleaterkinney

The article said champions league winners.

I'm not surprised footballers are doping, I don't think they even have blood testing or profiles. How many positives come up?

8. RD2003

RD2003 Well-Known Member

Yes. With regard to City, the sequence of events described seems to imply that UEFA knew that FFP was illegal and (particularly as they'd moved the goalposts) didn't want to be taken to court, and that if Infantino did anything wrong in UEFAs eyes, then this is a problem for UEFA in the first instance.

9. RD2003

RD2003 Well-Known Member

I know the article said that. It wasn't the article I was responding to, but other posts on here.

10. copliker

copliker ...

M

Riklet, Sweet FA, Fez909 and 3 others like this.
  11. sleaterkinney

They did move the goalposts - in City's favour. Do you seriously think that City lived up to the spirit of the FFP rules?

More on he FFP here:
    ManCity and Paris Saint-Germain: How Oil Money Distorts Global Football - SPIEGEL ONLINE - International

This is charming:

12. RD2003

RD2003 Well-Known Member

Moving the goalposts is a reference to the way City were led to believe by UEFA that they had complied in 2014, only for the goalposts to be moved at the last minute (look it up.) In the case of the subsequent settlement, in which City were fined and had a reduced CL squad imposed, it was negotiated under existing rules-and no goalposts moved. Without me having to read the article again, remind me if it's the one that gives a spuriously different set of justifications for FFP than those originally claimed by UEFA. As for the headline, it isn't only oil money that distorts football, but all money beyond a certain level. That's why we had an uncompetitive PL for so long-with City's oil money actually opening it up a bit more. Five or even six clubs with a chance of winning it this season-when could that have last been said?

Somebody connected to a football club says something derogatory about somebody else in football-now this clearly needs investigating, as it may never have happened before.

13. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

14. sleaterkinney

The article says how City inflated income and then used backroom dealings to get around FFP.

15. sleaterkinney

I can't seriously believe that someone thinks City is all above board.

16. RD2003

RD2003 Well-Known Member

Maybe you can't (perhaps because you support a club that's had it nose put out of joint by City's rise), but the football authorities who scrutinise goings-on at the club clearly do, as City have only been penalised the once, and even then only because of a snidey rule change at the last minute.

tommers likes this.
  17. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

Genuine LOL.

You remind me of me when I used to argue about the Tevez deal.

Fez909 and Threshers_Flail like this.
  18. Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan Built like a steakhouse, handles like a bistro

Yeah, plucky little Man City :facepalm:

19. RD2003

RD2003 Well-Known Member

Surely for the last time-the backroom dealings are what happens when UEFA invites the penalised club to come to an agreement. All penalised clubs do this and will obviously try to work things out to their best advantage.

The key is in the words 'the article says.' Do you believe everything every article you read claims, or only when you desperately want to?

20. RD2003

RD2003 Well-Known Member

Who has said there's anything plucky or little about City? Read my posts in response to Tommers.

21. sleaterkinney

No, I think that it's owners underwrote massive losses in contravention of FFP, do you deny this happened?.

22. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

The important bit of this isn't the FFP stuff.

Clubs have essentially been blackmailing the governing bodies in order to remove competition and ensure that they remain in the positions of power. They are removing competition except for carefully managed and agreed scenarios.

Whether City spent too much for a few years isn't really what it's about.

23. sleaterkinney

Fucking hell, did you read the article?

Badgers likes this.
  24. RD2003

RD2003 Well-Known Member

The thing is, though, that the rest of the PL could get together and try to block any English clubs moves towards a breakaway. I doubt if they will, though. Even though the ambitions of most club owners amount to no more than staying in the PL and creaming off whatever money they can. Like turkeys, almost all of them voted for FFP despite the implications for their own clubs.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  25. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Are the dulwich hamlet involved in this?

Rosemary Jest and tommers like this.
  26. RD2003

RD2003 Well-Known Member

Yes, it's what you call a tough business negotiating stance, or ruthlessness. Fuck's sake, how do you imagine the world works?

And laughably, you seem to be under the impression all this must have been one-sided.

27. RD2003

RD2003 Well-Known Member

I know-City's owners have been merely joining in.

28. sleaterkinney

What is this crap?

Badgers likes this.
  29. sleaterkinney

tough business negotiating stance - welcome to modern football.

30. RD2003

RD2003 Well-Known Member

If they had done anything to contravene FFP rules the club would have been penalised again.