1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Football Italia

Discussion in 'football' started by J Ed, Mar 20, 2017.

1. J Ed

J Ed I remember the future

Who remembers watching this on CH4? Just saw a vid with AC Milan and it transported me way back to my youth in the 90s, what a great show it was. There was something just so fun and exciting about it, somehow watching Italian, French, German etc football on BT Sport can never recapture just how special Football Italia was.

2. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Totally on the money. It's one of the greater mysteries of the modern world why nobody has signed up James Richardson to be their main anchor, especially given how much ITV paid for Adrian Chiles.

Was there a moment when Serie A jumped the shark as at least one of the big money destinations for the most coveted players? Off the top of my head, the only non-Italian mega names of recent years they've had are Pogba and Higuaín.

3. J Ed

J Ed I remember the future

4. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

Decent player. His cousin was even better I recall.

5. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

He was the only person in england who could speak italian. Or sit at a table doing posh guardianese/coffee.

He was alright, the football went over a cliff though - english football got better. Cult of defence. No fans left.

6. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

Who should the "left leaning" football fan follow in Italy, just out of interest? I mean we all obviously support FC Barcelona, Celtic, St Pauli and Red Star Paris, but who in Italy? ;)

7. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Roma

mx wcfc likes this.
  8. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

That said, whilst mostly left, they do a few dodgy fascist groups.

Maybe Livorno?

9. MadeInBedlam

MadeInBedlam 'He bloody well thinks he's staff!'

Gary Bloom!

10. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  11. ska invita

I didnt watch it much, but i did seem to be up at 6 in the morning too often to watch Trans World Sport (eta: looks like its still active on youtube)

12. Argonia

Argonia Happy go licky

Brings back happy memories.

Richardson now hosts the guardian weekly football podcast.

13. ska invita

I'm presuming this has had a chilling effect on top foreign players playing in Italy? I wonder what the long term impact has been, if any.

14. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

It actually held its own against Sky's introduction of Sunday football. It was very popular and when Sky's influx of money allowed the Premiere League clubs to buy overseas players most of the Italian transfers were pretty much household names. I always remember the interviews with the players always being top notch.

15. stavros

Having Elvis Costello in the box when doing the halftime scores was quite brilliant;

imposs1904 and ska invita like this.
  16. N_igma

N_igma Epistemic nuisance

GGGGGOOOOOAAAAAAAALLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZOOOOOOO!!!!!

I used to always think he said Goal Lazio when I was kid I was wrong. Great show brings back a lot of memories with Weah, Batastuta, Del Piero and the likes great era for Italian club football.

MadeInBedlam and J Ed like this.
  17. stavros

Batigol is still my favourite centre forward ever. He regularly got 20+ goals every Serie A season, at Fiorentina too, who were never world-beaters.

MadeInBedlam and S☼I like this.
  18. S☼I

S☼I steely-wally

I remember finding out about Italian footy being on the telly and deciding I'd follow a team to make it interesting, and picked Fiorentina simply because my grandparents went to Florence in the 60s. Was delighted when I found out not only did they have that great violet kit with the big Fleur-de-Lys and Nintendo logo, but they were good enough to ensure they were great to watch but not so good they weren't often underdogs when they played the Milans, Juve, Lazio and Roma etc. And that front three of Batigol, Luis Oliviera and "The Animal" Edmundo was fabulous.

19. stavros

Wasn't Rui Costa playing as an attacking midfielder too?

I think I adopted Sampdoria as my team, also partly because they were outside the big five, but also because I liked their stadium, with its corner towers.

[​IMG]

J Ed likes this.
  20. The39thStep

There was an Italia version of Football Manager as I recall as well

21. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

:cool: This thread.

Have to echo the bafflement as to how James Richardson doesn't have a regular gig on one of the big channels, a cliche I'm sure but either the beeb or ITV could really do with having someone of his ilk on, might actually learn something about the game!

And Trans World Sport!

22. stavros

There might not have been any interwebs, but I did enjoy the 90s a lot.

23. The39thStep

Most of the channels football coverage are just extra income after retirement for ex players. There are some excellent Twitter accounts who do a brilliant job, I have learnt more about Portuguese football from Twitter than anywhere else.

24. Cerberus

Cerberus Uptown top wankin