1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Folding bikes - Brompton, Dahon, Mezzo etc - recommendations and chat

Discussion in 'transport' started by editor, May 18, 2005.

1. Ted Striker

Ted Striker Foot's on the other hand

You're right about the dimensions/rule though to further confuse us both, 90cm (/2,54) is 35.43in, so my case would theoretically fit.:)

Can't remember where I heard about the rule tbh, maybe here http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagchk/public/en_gb# (click the 'size and weight of baggage allowances' link if the section isn't expanded). and Easyjet here https://getsatisfaction.com/easyjet/topics/outsize_hold_bags (reply is by an employee) looks on a similar line. Like all things though, you're at the mercy of the guys/girls at the check in desk.

It take a fair while to pack/unpack, though tbh it's so immensely satisfying I don't begrudge it at all! To think I can take my favourite bike away from home without (much) hassle is awesome and makes me feel all A-Team/James Bond!

To be honest, it sits (and will sit) in my garage for 99.9999% of it's natural life (and I'm not sure I can do Paris Roubaix next year :( ). I'm based in W10, if you ever want to borrow it (or view it etc), you're more than welcome to :cool:

2. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Thinks she is a flower to be looked at

Gear skills are better, it's the braking that I need to work on...
    I've got it down to one mishap per ride: bumps, grazes, bruises, scratches, scabby knee but nothing major apart from that fractured wrist :oops:
    My consultant suggested that I might not be the sport for me :D

3. ShiftyBagLady

Help please.
    I bought a Brooks flyer women's saddle which the man in the shop said would definitely fit a brompton but now tht I've finally managed to get the old saddle off I can't get the fucking thing on. It seems as through the rails are too narrow or something. D I need a pentaclip? I have looked at pictures of pentaclips online and they look exactly the same as the thing that's already on there so I do I need to get it or what?

4. Ted Striker

I'd be surprised if you have to...It would literally take seconds to fit the saddle on if you could take it to a bike shop?

ShiftyBagLady likes this.
  5. ShiftyBagLady

Thanks TedStriker, your post did prompt me to go into a local bikey place who directed me towards their workshop so I went home and my stubborn pride prompted me to try again (without my son's supervising and supposedly helpful suggestions) and this time I did it. Hurrah.
    Had to take the clip off the bike and then put it back on so an you lot look at it and tell me if it looks right? It feels good and tight and already just sitting on it I can feel it is far more comfortable and a better fit for my arse :cool:
    image.jpg

Ted Striker likes this.
  6. chandlerp

chandlerp Well-Known Member

7. Bob_the_lost

Bob_the_lost Elsewhere

8. Dougal Dodo

Dougal Dodo Member

It's from tesco, nuff said.
    Always spend as much as you can afford on a bike. If you buy something cheap and nasty it could put you off
    cyclng for life. Bromptons are superb (said as a tall person).

9. ShiftyBagLady

Well I"m a small person and I love mine too :cool:

10. AnIdiot

AnIdiot Well-Known Member

This might be a silly question, but I can take my brompton for a service at any bike shop, right?

11. Ted Striker

Yep definitely...There might be a slight advantage going to a Brompton dealer. (eg Condor?) tho generally if you can't service a Brompton you probably can't call yourself a bike mechanic ;)

12. ShiftyBagLady

I was at a Dr BIke thing last week and the guy gave me the card for a bike shop in Battersea where there's a guy who knows everything about Bromptons and might be able to do you a knowledgeable service. I'm not sure if he does them but I thinkhe does. I'll dig the card out if you're interested.

AnIdiot likes this.
  13. ShiftyBagLady

I got myself a folding basket for my bike today, it's awesome and I won't get a sweaty back on long rides now. Hurrah.
    Quite strange though not being able to see the front wheel and when I turn the basket stays still..it's a bit disorientating. BUt I"m sure I'll get used to it. The best thing about it is that they only charged me half price for it by mistake. RESULT
    I was thinking of getting a bigger hybrid bike so that I could do much longer rides easier but, on balance, the advantages of a folder outweigh those of bigger wheels.

Greebo likes this.
  14. AnIdiot

AnIdiot Well-Known Member

Thank you, although I actually managed to find somewhere and got her serviced yesterday :) Finsbury Cycles on Seven Sisters Road, they were very good!

Greebo likes this.
  15. cybertect

cybertect It's grim up north (London)

Five years with my Brompton now and I'm still very happy with it.

I've treated myself to some Ergon GP1 grips, which are distinct improvement on the standard foam ones.

BpOnT2LIEAAOz7Q.jpg

ShiftyBagLady, Greebo and chandlerp like this.
  16. LeslieB

LeslieB Banned Banned

Possibly a silly question but are all the sub £200 folders you see advertised at this time of year equally bad?

17. chandlerp

chandlerp Well-Known Member

I would imagine so. I bought a raleigh one before the dahon and it was appalling

18. LeslieB

LeslieB Banned Banned

Ok, thanks. I did wonder if the Raleigh ones were a bit better, but I guess the name means very little these days.

19. LeslieB

LeslieB Banned Banned

20. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

A great programme about Bromptons on the BEEB last week ( shame about the presenters ) and really helps to highlight why to buy a Brompton.
    Hand built, British, great quality control and the best folder there is Bicycles, Series 2, Inside the Factory - BBC Two

( confused about threads having a sticky that haven't had a post in yonks ).

a_chap likes this.