flying scotsman

Discussion in 'transport' started by OzT, Jun 6, 2018.

1. OzT

OzT Online early mornings when at work ....

Went to see the Flying Scotsman stopping at Gomshall station yesterday. It was stopping there to take water, from a fire truck interestingly enough as no water tower there.

Have to say I was disappointed in a couple of respects.

Firstly, coming up the track there was very little steam showing. I wa shoping for a photo of a train with steam billowing out everywhere. In fact, except for a wee trial of steam, you'd not knwo it was a steam train. Guess I was hoping for a Dr Zhivago type of shot head on with steam everywhere. Need to wait for a Russian winter.

Secondly I was suprised how small it was. And as it was all streamlined no working parts visable really. Was looking forward to see all copper pipes and valves and other mechnical bits.

But glad I made the effort to go up there. I used to work at the station approach as the fitter for a coach firm, and a bit sad to see it al overgrown now. Where the workshop was thta has gone a a couple of trees in its place.

A380, kebabking and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  2. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

3. Chilli.s

Chilli.s changed the little words

You know that this is a pics or it didn't happen scenario don't you?

steveo87, OzT and dessiato like this.
  4. OzT

When I get home I will put my pics up, sorry, forgot, at work at the mo can't do pictures. But it was black, not green.

Not only that, but they were terrible photos. Everyone else had cameras with lens sticking out a mile. Me had simple pocket £10 Vivitar camera. As was getting dark then, 21:35 it came, mostly dark images.

But will do

Chilli.s likes this.
  5. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I have been on a few longish steam train journeys and quite often they top up the water with the help of the local fire brigade, where else can they do it unless they visit a heritage railway and use their top up facilities.
    She may not have been billowing steam as she was running low on water, because whe was coasting in for the top up. To see them really steaming, you need to see them flat out and/or going up a hill.
    Sorry your were disappointed. Perhaaps ou should have seen her in Victoria Station London recently - too much steam Flying Scotsman steam sets off fire alarm

Badgers likes this.
  6. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

This just got interesting.

A380, editor and Badgers like this.
  7. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Trick of the fading light? I am fairly sure she was running on the Surrey Hills trip last night.

8. OzT

9. OzT

Well told you it was getting dark and a cheapo camera didn't help, but here are a couple of snaps. I have heaps more but they were just black with dot of light! lol!!

IMG_1337.jpg IMG_1344.jpg

A380 and Chilli.s like this.
  10. OzT

yip can confirm it is black, tender was green, at Worpleson tonight

11. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

Get any better pics at Worplesdon?

12. OzT

No i didn't because of Gomsahll's experience didn't bother taking a camera. But there are quite a few from my friend's FB page I can put them on here later when I get home if that's ok

13. OzT

here are some photos from last night's run to Worplesdon, taken from FB, and you know what, it IS green! Was black by the time I photo'd it at Gomshall the night before! lol! :)

34459625_10156339022578397_8122864676745773056_n.jpg

34631376_10155207583591152_1457489253452742656_n.jpg

34475624_10156719819887835_7284149248503840768_n.jpg

A380 and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  14. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Complete with a good head of steam :thumbs:

OzT and A380 like this.
  15. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

P1020076.JPG OzT you wanted to see steam with all the works on show; how about this odd little number; a 1920 Iroquois tandem roller from the states?

OzT likes this.
  16. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes