Floods and landslides in Japan

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by SheilaNaGig, Jul 9, 2018.

1. SheilaNaGig

SheilaNaGig Struggling and striving

yield likes this.
  2. SheilaNaGig

3. SheilaNaGig

4. krtek a houby

krtek a houby how's it going to end?

5. krtek a houby

6. SheilaNaGig

Jesus wept...

We’re reaching environmental tipping points all over the planet now.

There’ll be no time for a nuclear wasteland at this rate, our own trashing of our own nest will outpace our political suicide before we can manage it.

Truly, if we don’t address this collectively and urgently there'll be no time to do anything but duck and cover.

The wars that will result from climate change will be outlandish and inwinnable.

We’re so doomed.

7. nuffsaid

nuffsaid But this goes up to 11

We're probably already screwed because of the lag in feeling the effects of emissions put out years ago. If we all stopped flying and using cars and burning coal and oil tomorrow, we'd still see increases in the overall global temp for years afterwards.

Badgers and Yuwipi Woman like this.
  8. krtek a houby

There's little long term vision, it's all about short term gain and to hell with cause and effect. Depressing.

Mab and Badgers like this.
  9. SheilaNaGig

We are so so so fucked.

Mab and Badgers like this.
  10. krtek a houby

Horrible, isn't it. And thing is, there are people who will laugh at you when you mention the floods, fires, increasing natural disasters are all connected. Point to the hot weather and say if this is global warming, bring it on.

Might have a slightly different outlook if their town is flooded/burnt out :(

11. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

A depressing but accurate and well written post :(

While all this is happening the worlds 'superpowers' are fighting over who to sell things to and how to put down those that disagree with them. It makes me furious that the capitalist idiot world has everyone so beaten down and distracted we are losing the planet.

12. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

I've long ago come to the conclusion that governments, at least in the current form, are nothing more than elaborate protection rackets. If the people start to get wise, they throw a little war to get our attention (and obedience) again.

Mab, PippinTook, SheilaNaGig and 2 others like this.
  13. sideboob

sideboob Active Member

update FYI. The first picture at the top of this thread is downtown Mabi, Kurashiki in Okayama Japan. There is a currently a typhoon directed at Okayama. Typhoons usually come up from the south and then go east over Japan, missing Okayama. The top (?) weather man in the country was asked what to expect in Okayama, and his reply was "it`s hard to say, I`ve never seen a typhoon come this far north and then turn west". So once again evacuation advisories have started here in Okayama. Nothing serious yet, as the typhoon is timed to hit tomorrow. Hopefully the make-shift repairs to the river banks hold up, because even at it`s current state I don`t think the town will ever recover fully.

I had always hoped to make my Urban debut on the FEB thread.

14. SheilaNaGig

Blimey sideboob . Whatever next! Hopefully it will pass by without making landfall and folk can get back to recovering and rebuilding.

15. krtek a houby

Latest
    Typhoon slams into disaster-ravaged Japan

As this is the season for it, I don't know how much climate change has bearing on typhoon 12 but it's strange (as has been pointed out) that the typhoon has followed such an unpredictable path.

16. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

Climate change has caused melting of polar ice caps, and the cold water released has disrupted normal oceanic currents and air flows.

In Britain we've experienced changes due to the effect on the Gulf Stream, so I guess something similar is happening in Japan (and many other places, obvs).

Hope you're reasonably safe where you are krtek a houby

PippinTook and Badgers like this.
  17. PippinTook

PippinTook A flower does not ask to bloom, it just does.

It's frightening how fragile we are in the face of nature.

Hope anyone here from or living in Japan is safe.

krtek a houby likes this.