1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flickr is Getting a Major Makeover

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by RoyReed, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

I like it, for the most part.

One of the good things about the last design was the huge size of the main image (not to everyone's taste, I know), and they've scaled that back a bit now. I wish they'd kept that part as it was.

I'd like to be able to rearrange the elements like geotagging, exif, tags, groups etc. I never geotag, for example, so I'd like to shift that whole section down to the bottom and have things I do use more prominent at the top. Despite it's general awful design, it's one thing I like about deviantART - you can drag and drop any element on your page to be wherever you want it.

The only other niggle I've got at the moment (bearing in mind I've spent a sum total of 3 minutes playing with the new layout) is that little image scroller bar under the main picture. It will only show images from wherever you clicked through from. So, if I click on someone's picture from within a group, it'll show me pictures from that group. If I click on an album, it'll show me pictures from that album. With the old layout, it showed me images from every group, every album, and the person's photostream. It would be nice to be able to change this on the fly. So if I click on a picture from within a group I'm browsing, and then want to see more of that particular person's pictures, at the moment I'd have to click on their name to go to their photostream, then browse from there or if I wanted to use the scroller thing I'd have to click on one of their pictures again from their stream and then it'd display the scrolly thing from their stream, iyswim. It's an unnecessary set of steps, and could be more elegant and allow for easier browsing if you could pick which pool of photos you wanted the scroll slideshow thing to draw from.

Other than that, I'm glad comments are underneath again. Also, they've made editing information a lot easier. And yeah, grabbing the download link is just as easy as before (although my flickr show all sizes has disappeared now, so I don't have the even easier 1-click option anymore).

2. Vintage Paw

And thank god they've got rid of that shift+enter malarky. No more accidental half-finished comments or descriptions.

cybertect likes this.
  3. stowpirate

stowpirate skinflintish camera nut

Looks simpler to navigate now. Not that I really had an issue with the last version. What gets me is that it displays in weird and sometimes confusing ways, albeit depending on operating system and browser being used. Like Firefox in OSX locks up and is very slow with Chromium being super fast! Safari appears to still load the old version of site? As for Linux & MS Windoz XP no problems with Flickr in Firefox.

4. cybertect

cybertect It's grim up north (London)

It may be a cookies thing - or it may be that they're still testing it out serving different versions to different browsers on different platforms, which they have done before.

5. Vintage Paw

Looks like they're revamping group pages. I've just clicked through to one and I've got the 'beta' version of it. I think it works better than the old version - where that pop-out left-hand sidebar was really annoying.

6. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

They've changed this again, when are companies going to get that I don't want everything to look the same on every fucking device :hmm:

7. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

And now it brings you a beautiful, seamless experience, that no longer works on internet explorer. Hardly cross platform then. Guess I need a whole new browser just for flickr. Twats.

(Rant over)

muscovyduck likes this.
  8. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Lot of people in my camera club were commenting on the changes Thursday ... not too sure they all like it! I may have to get an online account, still not convinced who it will be with though.

9. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Sluggish, lazy, stupid, and unconcerened.

Works fine on IE11 for me :confused:

10. Chilli.s

Old vista computer running IE9 I think, and wont do 11.

Edit IE9

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  11. mwgdrwg

Ah. Firefox FTW! :)

12. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Everybody needs not to use IE9, in general.

13. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

Yeah that'll do it, if your not running the latest browsers these days sites tell you to fuck off. Used to be they'd at least make an attempt to keep it compatible, nope.

14. Chilli.s

A victim of obsolete tecnology...

15. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie They only call it class war when we fight back

It seems the option on photos to copy & paste jpeg link has disappeared! Anyone know where it's gone & if that option is still available?

16. StoneRoad

StoneRoad RIP Greebo being kinder heckling from the back!

My Ipernity is still working just fine, I'm so glad I dumped f*****r ...

17. Lazy Llama

Lazy Llama Mostly clicking, some typing.

The BBcode option still uses the JPG name so you could snag it from that - it's a tab on the Share button (which is a right-pointing arrow)
    [​IMG][

girasol likes this.
  18. Mr.Bishie

That's what's missing.

I've resorted to clicking 'inspect element' to grab a jpeg.

19. Lazy Llama

Lazy Llama Mostly clicking, some typing.

Appears to the right below the image for me. Takes a few seconds after the image draws before those links appear though.
    upload_2015-9-7_21-29-34.png

20. Mr.Bishie

Yep, those tabs ain't showing for me.

21. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

It's four steps, but this works (assuming you can see the bottom-right icons).
    1. Click on the bottom right icon (down arrow) to 'Download this photo'.
    2. Select 'View all sizes'.
    3. Click on the size you want - i.e. 'Medium 800'.
    4. Right-click on the image and select 'Copy image location' (in Firefox - it will vary with browser).
    [​IMG]

Technically, this is breaking Flickr terms of use:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    Vintage Paw likes this.
  22. Chilli.s

Technically there is a link back to flickr, its just not obvious. Right click, inspect element, and there's the link.

Vintage Paw likes this.
  23. mwgdrwg

I can still do this in three clicks, same as it's been for the past year:

1. Click the download button
    2. Right click on size you want
    3. Copy link

[​IMG]

24. mwgdrwg

25. Chilli.s

[​IMG]

Go to view all sizes, choose size, copy image, paste as required.

26. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

I can no longer log into my account. I have no idea how it's linked to yahoo :(

27. girasol

girasol visual spaceship pilot

your yahoo email - if you don't have one then maybe you been hacked :(

28. Mr.Bishie

Just had a look now & the tabs in right hand corner are back :hmm:

29. Mr.Bishie

30. Vintage Paw