1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flickr is Getting a Major Makeover

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by RoyReed, Feb 22, 2012.

1. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

I think it's because people don't want to link back to flikr

2. Paulie Tandoori

Paulie Tandoori shut it you egg!

ah,it's on the other thread, i thought i was going crazy, will do, thanks.

3. Paulie Tandoori

it is "easier" than when i couldn't do it at all before but why oh fucking why you have to go through such a palaver, when you used to be able to simply click on the list of sizes and then simply c&p the url is beyond me.

4. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

But you can click on the list of sizes and C&P the URL :hmm:

girasol, mwgdrwg and Vintage Paw like this.
  5. Paulie Tandoori

but i get this when i c&p from the bb code on this random image for eg

[​IMG]

edited to remove link

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  6. Paulie Tandoori

ah, hang on, i didn't expect that to happen....i thought you'd see the code.

however, that doesn't seem to work with facebook for eg.

7. Sweet FA

Sweet FA ✪ Three rounds Lord, in my .44 ✪

But unless you doctor the code, it links back to flickr which I don't want.

8. Paulie Tandoori

and this as well. why can't things just stay the same.....

Mr.Bishie and Sweet FA like this.
  9. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

It might be mildly annoying that they don't provide a direct link to the image itself, but is it really that much of a hardship to edit out the link? I do it all the time. I couldn't give a flying fuck if it's against their t&cs.

Alternatively, get a grease/tampermonkey extension that will put the link to the image itself in the description for every single picture on the site, yours and those belonging to others. The one I use is called Flickr Show All Sizes.

Here is a screenshot of it installed in my stream:

[​IMG]

I clicked on the 'original' button to get this ^ to post here.

10. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg THIS IS WHAT WE DO IN THE F.B.I.!

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG! There's a very easy way to do it without editing any bbccode or using scripts:

01) "More Actions" (the three dots next to share)
    02) Download / All Sizes
    03) Right-click, copy shortcut on the size you want.

Ta-da!

[​IMG]

Chilli.s likes this.
  11. RedDragon

RedDragon "I am not one of your fans!"

Oh yeah, works real simples

[​IMG]

12. Paulie Tandoori

13. Paulie Tandoori

blimey, you're right....

14. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

I see they're ditching Facebook and Google sign-in, the morons. I really hate how Flickr operate, and I begrudge signing up to Yahoo, so I think I'm going to bail out there.

15. StoneRoad

StoneRoad RIP Greebo being kinder heckling from the back!

As I've said before, try out Ipernity.

It is rather smaller, so somewhat quieter but generally I've found it friendlier.

16. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

Having a script installed makes for less mouse-clicks, which is a nice quality of life improvement if you need the static url often. If you don't need to do it often, then don't bother.

17. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie In solidarity with the people of Catalonia

18. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie In solidarity with the people of Catalonia

Awesome! :cool:

19. Sweet FA

I for one welcome our new Flickr overlord :cool:

mwgdrwg likes this.
  20. cybertect

cybertect It's grim up north (London)

Since I have neither, I begrudge all the places that would require me to have a Google+ or Facebook account to sign-in, add a comment or whatnot (Spotify, I'm looking at you).

Being a pre-Yahoo! Flickr user, having my Flickr account merged with my (even older Yahoo! account) was a bit of an annoyance, but I am fighting a rearguard action against Facebook's takeover of internet authentication options.

mwgdrwg and Vintage Paw like this.
  21. Sweet FA

Yeah, it properly irks me that we're supposed to be all joined up with everything. I want it all separate. I don't want my fb, yahoo, flickr or here, god forbid, to be linked. Yahoo keeps trying to get me to add security with my phone number ffs :mad:

muscovyduck and girasol like this.
  22. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

I have just signed up with Ipernity. Not as an escape from Flickr but because I am running our of space on a couple of other photo sites.
    Interestingly they are welcoming people from Flickr and have set up some sort of transfer software to help with this. This does not affect me though. I have put up a few pictures and am now going to have to work out how to use BB code to do a link. It is a few years since I have done that. Both Pbase and Photobucket make life easier in the link stakes.

girasol likes this.
  23. StoneRoad

On the Ipernity photopage ;
    if you click "more options" and some way down in the list is " </> share (html code / BBcode) "

E2A - you have a new acquaintance .....

24. Hocus Eye.

Thanks for that new acquaintance.: )

25. Hocus Eye.

Hi StoneRoanew. I have just checked under "more options" and that particular option is not currently visible. :confused: :( Your message does appear on my page though.

E2A I notice that you can share images via Facebook, Twitter and Google+. I don't want to do this but put them on this site which doesn't seem possible.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  26. StoneRoad

Sorry about that. Hocus Eye - That extra option will be available to me because I'm a *club* member.
    You should be able post a link instead, but I'm not sure if image tags will work ?

There is a trial offer 3mths for £5.49 ..........
    details here: http://www.ipernity.com/club

(I went *club* as I have quite a lot more images than the free allowance)[/img]

Hocus Eye. likes this.
  27. girasol

girasol visual spaceship pilot

From what I understand the (good) reasons for flickr having dedicated sign on (luckily I'm old skool and had the yahoo account already) are: security and to improve speed and functionality, as it removes an extra layer of authentication...

Also, this is the way flickr has always worked, it's only been recently (2011) that google and facebook authentication were introduced.

Here's humongous thread full of people panicking because the change isn't going too smoothly...
    https://www.flickr.com/help/forum/72157641974750055/?search=flickr yahoo

28. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Ipernity puts a small transparent gif image over the top of your photos to stop you right-clicking on the photo and selecting 'Copy Image Location', but most browsers have a way of looking at the code for any particular element on the page.

It's a bit of a pain, but you could still right-click on the photo and select 'Inspect Element'. You should see a dialog box open at the bottom of the browser. This shows what it looks like in Chrome, but it's very similar in Internet Explorer and Firefox, although the method will be slightly different.

ipernity.jpg

What will be highlighted at first is the gif image (here it's the bit of underlined code in blue that ends /z.gif). Immediately above that is the image code. You can either right-click on this and select 'Copy link address' or left-click on it to see the image itself in the 'Resources' tab in the same dialog box, and underneath the image you should see its URL. Either way, copy the link address, then in U75's post dialog click on the 'Image' icon on the toolbar and paste the URL there. You should now have your image in the post, like so:

[​IMG]

Hocus Eye. and Greebo like this.
  29. Hocus Eye.

Thanks for that RoyReed. I am indebted. I am most impressed that not only can you work the BBcode but also put on screen the details of how you did it. :thumbs:

30. Hocus Eye.

Sorry this was a failed attempt to do what RR had done above. Goes and sits in the corner with Dunce's cap on. Firfox wouldn't play nicely.