1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flickr is Getting a Major Makeover

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by RoyReed, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards Food please.

How many photos a month with the free account?

2. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Unlimited - just a limit of 200MB per photo.

3. Stanley Edwards

Stanley Edwards Food please.

I obviously mis-read something about receiving 200 photos/month allowance for introducing people and going 'Premium' if you needed more.

4. Barking_Mad

Barking_Mad Non sibi sed omnibus

I find the whole photography on the internet somewhat annoying, frustrating and bemusing. Nothing does exactly what i want because each decent option seems to lack features other ones have. Never liked Flickr as it has more stuff i didnt like than i actually did. PBase I used for a long time but i got fed up of the tired looking design and having just had a look now, it still looks the same. Currently using Google+ to upload all my photos although it annoys me as for some reason i cant upload photos from my phone to a specific folder i've created in the desktop version. Instagram has more spam in it than a Brazilian meat factory and is full of self obsessed shits taking photos of themselves, cheating to get 6000 followers etc.

*sigh* I dunno.

5. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I used to have my own site to which I only uploaded what I thought were my best photos. But then I got into playing photographic games with a couple of others and I needed lots of photos online, so I started uploading most of my photos. The games ended and I was left with a bloated site with lots of pretty average photos. So I cut it back to just my favourites and then took it offline altogether.

I always liked pbase although I never used it, everyone else used to. Flickr is a more a johnny come lately for me and initially I hated navigating galleries. Now it seems to have changed. Perhaps for the better I am not yet sure.

6. Paulie Tandoori

Paulie Tandoori shut it you egg!

has anyone found that they've lost sets of photos on the new (fucking horrible) flickr?

i've got about 4,000 photos over 39 pages and trying to search for old stuff is a pain in the arse but it seems that at least one set i know was there seems to have vanished (and no, i didn't properly tag things so i can't search for them that way, my bad)

7. wemakeyousoundb

wemakeyousoundb and calm again

yahoo in we fuck things up again shocker.
    the fucker have nuked the old school email too, pricks.

Greebo likes this.
  8. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's too bad. Depending on your computing power, it can take a long time for some of these pixel-heavy pages to download, especially if you have a really large screen. There needs to be a function to allow you to move your own and others' photostream out of justified, and into medium or small images. Imo the new format presents a mishmash that kills a desire to look at individual images: the old layout with five main photos presented on the front page, was way better.

The old scheme seemed so functional compared to this. I used to love visiting flickr a lot, and was on it during most of the day. Now it's more of a chore that I put up with. I've seen a number of long-term photographers stop using it, and also stop curating and shutting down groups, because of the hassles involved.

This is what happens when you let the beancounters have a hand in designing a website that's devoted to creativity.

girasol likes this.
  9. stowpirate

stowpirate skinflintish camera nut

I appears to me to have a layout that is more usable with touchscreen mobile devices? Looks fantastic on my android tablet but can be a tad slow at times. You can book mark your own photostream or activity page instead of the default welcome page. I hated the new layout at first but now I am warming to it. Have you used Glimmer app on your phone? I think it was similar popular mobile apps that pushed them into changing the layout.

10. Paulie Tandoori

I could not agree with you more on these points, quite frankly.

11. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg A powerhouse of a human and cannot be silenced Enforced Holiday

I'm seeing more photos from people I follow, and more stuff from groups as well. I quite like it and am making more use from it since the update :confused:

12. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

I was going to add that to my comment, that the whole thing is probably aimed at smart phone users.

No, I don't access flickr on mobile devices. When considering photos, I like them big. I'd actually gone out a couple of months ago and got a larger screen, just for photo viewing. Because I've got it hooked up to a laptop of middling power, it takes forever for the big pages full of justified photos to load.

13. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

They've added a god awful yahoo bar to the top now as well.

You can block it in adblock by creating a new filter rule using the value ###yucs - but then you get an empty space above your navigation bar. There's a greasemonkey script called something like Flickr Static Navigation Bar, that solves that problem, and also makes the bar scroll away when you scroll, instead of always staying locked to the top of your viewing window. I actually uninstalled that again because I realised I quite like being able to navigate the site without having to scroll back to the top again. But I am blocking the yahoo bar. The extra space it leaves doesn't bother me too much after a few days of using it like that.

I've got used to the main photostream look now, and like I said in my earlier rant I can see why it's an attractive feature - being able to view more larger images. But the point about lag still remains. I haven't found myself less likely to click on individual images. I do miss being able to see how many views my pictures have got from my photostream though. I still hate the individual photo pages. The comments are badly placed, all relevant data is tucked away at the bottom. It just looks ugly. The navigation bar butts up right against the top edge of the picture, which makes it feel even more cluttered and chaotic. I don't find the lightbox thing intuitive. Before, you could click a picture to bring it up in a larger size in the lightbox, and click the picture again to go back. That behaviour is ingrained in me, and rather intuitive. But, instead, now when you click that second time, instead of taking you back it puts flickr in fullscreen mode :mad: Really fucking stupid design decision, imo.

Bastards.

14. RedDragon

RedDragon "I am not one of your fans!"

I'm finding navigation an irritation with the only manageable solution being to open loads of windows. I imagine it's a nightmare for people with slow loading connection.

15. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

I find the navigation can be a bit fiddly on my ipad. I'm getting used it, but there's a few issues. The photo page doesn't look quite right to me, but I'm not quite sure why. Also the autoloading makes it difficult to use the pagination, previously I found it pretty easy to skip back to a specific point in my stream.

My pro account is due for renewal on Sunday, I'm undecided whether to renew it or not.

16. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I can't see any such thing :confused: Just the nav bar.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  17. Grandma Death

Grandma Death Reconfiguring & Reconstructing

To be fair. I only registered a few days ago for the first time. Looks good to me :)

18. Mr.Bishie

Mr.Bishie In solidarity with the people of Catalonia

Just received my billing email -

Seeing as there's no longer a Pro subscription, should I cancel that payment? Surely Yahoo Billing should be stating this fact?

19. StoneRoad

StoneRoad RIP Greebo being kinder heckling from the back!

That subscription would allow you to keep *some* of the old "pro" features, if you cancel you'll be stuck with the new versions. (which are mostly a right PITA)
    Try Ipernity, they are a friendly bunch........

Greebo likes this.
  20. Mr.Bishie

21. Mr.Bishie

I'm struggling to link to images from flickr. Reading some flickr forum Q&A's it seems that you can't link now without it directing back to flickr, & not doing that breaks their T&C's.

Sweet FA 's way works (posted on May Photo Comp thread), but the image size of 150x150 is tiny.

Starting to really fuck me off.

22. FridgeMagnet

It's always been against their t&cs not to link back.

I dunno, I've not had problems recently but maybe I have some setting on. I will check when I'm back home, on my phone right now.

Vintage Paw likes this.
  23. Mr.Bishie

Sweet FA - how did you resize those images? I'm not getting those size options in the drop down?

Don't wanna derail the comp thread!

24. Mr.Bishie

Ahh! Got them now. ffs :D

Sweet FA likes this.
  25. Mr.Bishie

Sorted now, cheers :)

26. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

27. Paulie Tandoori

so am i, it's a complete and utter pain in the arse that i can't post my pictures anywhere else from flickr.

fucking hate the site, wish i'd never seen it tbh.

28. Mr.Bishie

Check out Sweet Fa's post Paulie, once you know how it's easy.

29. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Im still paying for pro, but I dont really understand what it entitles me to.

30. FridgeMagnet

Screen Shot 2014-05-07 at 11.37.53.png

=

[​IMG]
    roll347_11 by redspotted, on Flickr

I don't really see what the problem is tbh, unless there is some setting I've activated or not activated.