1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flickr is Getting a Major Makeover

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by RoyReed, Feb 22, 2012.

1. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's the Pinterest effect!

3. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

It does need some attention. I await the new with interest.

4. stowpirate

stowpirate skinflintish camera nut

If only they could roll it back to the previous setup :facepalm:

5. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Yes, it does - not so much for the photo interface IMO, though a bit of streamlining wouldn't hurt, but for the community functions, which are still very 90s really, very poor on notification tools. I see a lot of dead communities which really wouldn't be if they were easier to use.

The basic photostream concept is still pretty good I think and shouldn't be messed with.

6. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

I like that. Really almost anything would be better than the current layout.

Edit: some other elements, especially the batch operations view, are really good. Just not the standard display.

7. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

Will this mean that when I eventually get around to logging in to my account I won't know where anything is and start doing everything wrong?

8. mauvais

Talking of Flickr, and I'm sure everyone knows of this already, but http://loc.alize.us is my favourite thing. Makes landscape photography trip planning so much easier.

9. FridgeMagnet

I would agree with this - I've been using Flickr a lot more recently and I'm getting very frustrated with the limited options available for standard layout.

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Flickr's current layout is awful. Really, really awful.

11. mauvais

When did it end up like that? I only signed up this year but it seems like it was always like it is now, and reminds me of Gallery 2, which was doing the rounds in 2005.

12. FridgeMagnet

It's been basically the same since Yahoo took it over. It used to be a very innovative site actually - they were one of the first people to even do inline AJAX editing of titles and descriptions and stuff, and the notes function was just magic voodoo shit man.

13. mauvais

It'll never look great, by the way, because a great photo gallery is one that is individual and only contains the elements that are required. You're never going to get that with a general purpose site. Blog or CMS software does it OK but there you can set a look and feel that is disconnected from any other instance of it. This sticks in my head as the way to do it, but running your own site is a pain in the arse.

Also, everyone will complain about it, just like they complain about the visual aspects of Facebook Timeline. These people are almost certainly wrong. It's amazing how conservative internet youth turns out to be.

14. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

It'd be nice if they had uploaders that work properly :mad:

plurker likes this.
  15. Crispy

I'd like to see a larger default image display size, keyboard shortcuts (just left and right to page through photos would do) and one-click access to the full-res version.

toblerone3 likes this.
  16. mauvais

Well, where is it?

17. FridgeMagnet

They added a new contacts display option, I think it was. I assume that wasn't it.

18. dweller

dweller muthafuckin snakes

Christ, check flickr, I think this is the major makeover!!!

19. RedDragon

RedDragon "I am not one of your fans!"

Been waiting for this

In short, Flickr has killed all white space on its entire site​
    "One terabyte of space is now available to our users."​

20. dweller

dweller muthafuckin snakes

When you are on photostream you can click "edit" to see how your photos used to be laid out and so do
    the practical things you need to do.
    Profile page still the same old look and looks out of place now
    Organise is pretty much the same.
    Groups are still the same.
    I guess it is just the new photostream and the terrabyte for free that are the big changes.
    As RedDragon mentioned above.
    I wonder how much of a nuisance the ads will be as I can see myself downgrading to free if they're not too intrusive.

21. Crispy

fuck! I just paid for another 2 years of Pro!

22. mauvais

Fuck me! They actually did something! Who even cares what it's like!

Perhaps they're focusing their feckless, workshy, half-arsed incompetence on Tumblr now.

23. RedDragon

RedDragon "I am not one of your fans!"

[​IMG]

24. neonwilderness

neonwilderness What would Badgers do?

Not sure what to make of this. They are now advertising an "ad free" account for $49.99 a year which is more than a pro account :hmm:

25. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

my immediate reaction is WTF?

26. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

Flickr has been one of my least favourite websites for photos. Often don't bother to look at Flickr links because its so clunky and the pictures don't look good. Might check it again now to see if its improved.

27. toblerone3

toblerone3 Grrrrr

But fuck paying £500 a year. No wey.

28. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

The fucking fuck have they done?

:mad:

I can see the benefit in having a nice continuous stream of your photos, but everything is just fucking horrible.

Comments and photo info is lost at the bottom of individual photo pages, with comments being shoved all the way to the left, it looks really awkward. Everything is taking far longer to load (don't even think about using lightbox).

Jesus suffering fuck.

*throws ALL her toys out her pram*

And what the FUCK are they doing with the account subs?

NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE.

Paulie Tandoori likes this.
  29. gabi

gabi Banned Banned

why dont you just use picasa?

30. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

There's a new Android app which is apparently nice (haven't checked as I hate the site for the same reasons as toblerone mentioned).