Flags and what they mean to you/to other people

Discussion in 'theory, philosophy & history' started by krtek a houby, Jun 25, 2018.

?

Flags are ...

1. great

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. redundant in this day and age

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. I'll make an exception for some flags (pride, workers flags, other etc)

11 vote(s)
    45.8%
  4. Semaphore

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  1. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The end is meh

Straight off the top, I'll say that generally, am not a big fan of flags, anthems and all that.

But every 4 years, there's so many colourful flags on display that the eye can't help be diverted.

What do flags say to you, what feelings do you get from them, if any? Do they offend or bother you, does the history behind fascinate/repel or do you feel proud or emotional?

2. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic cnut, & all round knob-head.

They bemuse me.

3. dylanredefined

dylanredefined Not a house elf a tiger

Have to put and take one down at work each day so slightly annoying.

Opera Buffa and Serge Forward like this.
  4. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

Flags are great when I want to act nationalistic - like when Wales playing England in rugby, or if I'm in China and say that I prefer the HK flag (much to my dad's annoyance).

I change day to day - cos it's just a made up of bullshit, like any other collective identities.

Taking the piss is great fun.

krtek a houby likes this.
  5. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow cooking expert and general daft apeth

Pretty much this. Yeah, I get the history and symbolism stuff, but I don't care about them.

6. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

An opp. Eh krtek?

7. farmerbarleymow

Can't you channel your inner Heath Robinson and devise a clever system of springs and pulleys to automate it for you. Take it down at night and keep the string holding it under tension, and just release it each morning. :thumbs:

krtek a houby likes this.
  8. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The end is meh

I get why flags have to come down in cases of national mourning, death of a leader, or needs to be washed but never certain why a flag would be raised and lowered each day?

9. farmerbarleymow

Its to prevent the moths eating them, as moths only fly at night.

cupid_stunt and krtek a houby like this.
  10. campanula

campanula plant a seed

apart from those that fly in the day...

11. farmerbarleymow

Yes, they're called butterflys.

12. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

So that's my life made 50% more unenjoyble. Thanks.

campanula and farmerbarleymow like this.
  13. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

Other: shit.

14. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

Show your colours.

15. Geri

Geri wasn't born to follow

I love flags, I have quite a few - Syrian revolution flag, Palestine, Watford FC, some black & red flag that Topcat made, YPG/YPJ flags that I was going to throw out but butchers made me keep. I think I did throw out the England flag though as I can't find it anywhere.

16. Mungy

Mungy i haz boobz

I hate flags, or at least national flags and the nationalism that stand behind flags. I like flags that are universal, like pride flags. Maybe workers flags transcend boundaries as well. I hate nationalism more than the flags, but the two go hand in hand, so yeah. Flags are shit. Mostly.

Yossarian likes this.
  17. campanula

campanula plant a seed

There are more day flying moths than butterflies...including the tremendous Hummingbird Hawkmoth and the lovely Cinnabar
    Soz Butchers.

18. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

I like flags, I hate what some people do with them.

19. dylanredefined

dylanredefined Not a house elf a tiger

We can't even get a new rope as we don't officially have a flag pole.

farmerbarleymow likes this.
  20. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

Mixed reactions to flags, but my limited ill-feelings are due more to what some people do with them, when they use them to make inappropriate symbolism.

Some are necessary - such as those that 'signal bunting tossers' need, which reminds me, we need to see if we can dress t'boat properly.

I liked the touch when visiting a small country pub/hotel displays national ensigns for staying guests ...
    but I tend to display the local flag (Northumbria's yellow and red ensign) or my RNLI one.

[​IMG]

e2a, sorry that's huge - just nicked it of t'web

21. isvicthere?

isvicthere? a.k.a. floppybollocks

In general I'm against the waving of flags of nations, which is usually childish patriotic bullshit. However, I can make exceptions for oppressed or underdog countries/aspiring countries e.g. the Catalan flag in the light of Rajoy's recent Franco-esque boot boy response to the issue.

I particularly don't like the British and American flags: arrogant symbols of triumphalism. "Cut no slack for the union jack/stars and stripes leave me jetlagged."

22. Sasaferrato

Sasaferrato T'agba ta ti de, a ma yo ogunja.

Done that. Ever had to do one at half staff? I was fire piquet at Netley when the Pope died, I heard on the radio that all flags were to be at half staff, so did so. The CO went ballistic, because he hadn't heard, then apologised when he did. :)

23. Sasaferrato

Sasaferrato T'agba ta ti de, a ma yo ogunja.

Tradition my boy, tradition. Lowered at sunset, raised at sunup (or whenever the raiser gets round to it.).

dylanredefined likes this.
  24. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Some years ago I drove through some Yorkshire towns and villages, there was no international football or anything going on but there were loads of English flags on display.

25. farmerbarleymow

They're all the same - like there is no distinction between mushrooms and toadstools.

26. gentlegreen

gentlegreen "Die hard liberal remainer."

I have a dodgy neighbour opposite with a military land rover and a union Jack and he hasn't switched it for a football one - unlike his neighbour who alternates between the George cross and Liverpool.

So I flew a cheap EU flag on top of my 30 foot antenna mast for the best part of a year until it fell apart - it always picks up a breeze at that height but it's a bit over the top height-wise and the antenna mast keeps de-telescoping.

I'm currently flying a Breton flag for maximum confusion, and once I get around to fitting my VHF/UHF antenna, I also have a French flag and a replacement EU flag to hang from that lower and stouter one along with the Breton one.

flags-french-breton-and-eu-CBFD8W.jpg

(It seems appropriate since I'm hoping to become a naturalised French citizen within the next 10 years and will probably have to pledge some sort of allegiance to it.)

EDIT:-

Yes, I know it's all a bit silly, but flags are cheap on the Internets and the top couple of metres of my antenna mast was going spare.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  27. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

28. twentythreedom

twentythreedom Seagulls are cunts

That's interesting

29. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Same as in Portugal but obviously they fly their flag

30. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Flags, great to have fun with.