1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Sea swim of the year ?

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by not-bono-ever, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Friend of the one trick pony

First swim yesterday at Rozel in Jersey with my niece in her wetsuit (cheater:D). Cold getting in but then lovely and the sun shone on us. Just love the feeling of being in the sea and then the spacey feeling after

2. Miss-Shelf

And aNother swim today at St Ouen in the surf with my extended family ranging from my dad and aunt at 77 and 78 through to my cousins 8 year old daughter and my cousins staffies

3. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

I'm dead jealous of all the sea swimmers - haven't been in the water since 2009 :(

I'm making plans for the fairly near future though and it still looks like being south west Brittany - so about the same as Jersey.
    Though I hold out hope of being rather more sociable when I move there and getting myself invited to warmer spots via OAP discounted train tickets - hoping I might renew a childhood acquaintance with someone down in the Gironde where I had an amazing month's holiday in 1975 ..

seatemps.jpg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
    gaijingirl and Miss-Shelf like this.
  4. Miss-Shelf

rps20150713_232122_820.jpg lovely sunny swim at Rozel
    rps20150713_225903_148.jpg
    it was such a strong sea at St Ouen and a lot of fun

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  5. Miss-Shelf

rps20150715_051706_345.jpg
    First swim yesterday here - the Echrehous which is a little reef between Jersey and France. Magical day out with extended family. All of us loving it. It was fantastic to see Jersey and France at the same time. And to swim at low then high tide. rps20150715_051311_398.jpg
    Second swim here at Archirondel
    we didn't want to go home so we all went to our favourite family beach although I was the only one having a swim this time. Watched all the locals come for high tide swim and some new found lands going in for swim training rps20150715_052527_680.jpg

6. Miss-Shelf

Yesterday's swim in warm fog at greve de lecq
    rps20150716_115938_945.jpg

7. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

8. Miss-Shelf

Get yourself on a coastal holiday and get swimming
    or even a day trip
    this is a bumper week of swimming
    in last few years I've made do with bexhill and Littlehampton
    got to get swims in in the summer

9. Miss-Shelf

Today's swim in the rain at la coupe
    had the beach to myself for a long while
    till 6 other swimers came down in their dressing gowns, disrobed, swam, robed and scarped back to their car:D rps20150717_211139_998.jpg

10. Miss-Shelf

last photo of my channel islands sea swims. Boo:( but so very thankful for so many lovely swims on my own and with my lovely cousins and family
    Rozel high tide.jpg
    loved this swim with my cousin and cousins daughter. 8.45pm high tide at Rozel harbour. We were at a bbq and I said 'oh there's a really nice high tide - do you want to swim?' and they were like 'fuck yeah'. I love that there are people in my family who love sea swims as much as me. :cool::cool::cool:

11. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

You're putting me to shame Miss-Shelf, I haven't actually been in the sea more than ankle deep yet this year.

12. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

A 30-something colleague just came back from two weeks on Kos ...

"I bet you were in the sea every day (you jammy get)"

"No, I hate the way you feel all itchy when you get out of the water so I only swam in the hotel pool.."

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

13. Miss-Shelf

get in its lovely:cool:
    but also I only had a week in Jersey so I made the most of it
    my cousins who have it all year round it had been the first time for some of them that they got in

14. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

The good thing about the coasts of northern Europe is the distinct lack of sharks.
    My favourite bit of sea so far has to be Llangenith on the Gower - the sea is chocolate brown from a peat shelf further up the coast and you're literally swimming with the fishes. :) Super safe there too - lots of waves but no lifeguards or red flags.

I'm looking forward to Southern Brittany - they even get the odd dolphin along there.

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  15. twentythreedom

twentythreedom doesn't like the cut of your jib

Weymouth, today :cool:

Miss-Shelf and gentlegreen like this.
  16. souljacker

souljacker and this is fresh

Bottled a swim at Elie in the Firth of Forth yesterday. Me and my little girl got in to chest height but it was bitterly cold. Looks like I won't get a sea swim at all this year. :(

17. Think I have done my last sea swim of the year.botany bay last weekend. Brrrrr. Forgot how cold it was. A few days earlier I was snorkeling in Croatia.

It was the shortest swim ever but I did technically swim for a few minutes.

souljacker, Miss-Shelf and trashpony like this.
  18. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

I finally did it Miss-Shelf !

Head first out of a kayak...:hmm:

19. Miss-Shelf

Oops! Xxxxx

20. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

I still haven't had a swim this summer. Maybe this weekend, reckon it'll be my last chance.

souljacker and Miss-Shelf like this.
  21. Miss-Shelf

Maybe the last sea swim of my swimming year today at West wittering
    REALLY warm :cool:

22. souljacker

Just had a lovely dip in oddicombe bay. Fucking cold but really flat sea.

not-bono-ever and Miss-Shelf like this.
  23. OvalhouseDB

OvalhouseDB Well-Known Member

I was in the North Sea (Norfolk) twice last week, grabbing a quick half hour visiting family in hospital, and twice where sea meets New Forest on a quick camping trip - both fabulous and not too cold at all - warmer than the Lido was in May and June.

24. Miss-Shelf

first swim was with han in Bournemouth in June, I think
    second ringstead bay mid june
    Third Charmouth this weekend

hope to swim in bournemouth and weymouth next week.
    And then some more, as yet, unknown sea swims

25. souljacker

My only other chance to get in the sea will be when we go to France at the end of august. Hopefully I'll be in every day for 7 days but it's not enough. I really should move closer to the coast.

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  26. none yet. May have to be the Med in a couple of weeks. may try kent again in september when i am back

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  27. Fuerteventura in April = really fucking cold
    South Hams in June = not too bad
    Will be in West Wittering next week
    And will be swimming on 1st January for sure, (Arabian sea :p)

OvalhouseDB and Miss-Shelf like this.
  28. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

It was at the beginning of the month. Usually, I can get the first one in in June, but the weather's been crappy this year. Thanks to the rain, I've only been able to go maybe 4 times this month, the most recent being yesterday.

The weather was warm, but the only other people in the water were a couple of Russian women, and a guy who looked like a pro with a pink bathing cap.

29. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

I did get into the sea last week, but only up to my waist, too cold, took my breath away and I got out again. I know, wimp.

Will try with wetsuit next time.

30. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix μεθαύριο

So nearest thing to a sea in Switzerland. Had several dips in Lac Leman (Lake Geneva) last week. Tres refreshing indeed.

OvalhouseDB likes this.