1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Sea swim of the year ?

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by not-bono-ever, Apr 23, 2011.

1. fredfelt

fredfelt Mostly unknown member

It's a bit of a mission to get away for a sea swim but around landlocked Oxford there are plenty of fine outdoor swimming spots. The most remarkable one is a ten minute walk away from the train station and is shown in the first picture below - Port Meadow at sunset - on a sunny day plenty of people are found swimming in the river here.

The second picture is also in Oxford where the river goes through the centre of the city. It's a former Victorian swimming pool - on a tributary of the main river. A largely forgotten about place which, if I'm honest is a bit manky but is undoubtedly full of character and pulls a few groups in for picnics, BBQ's and on a quiet evening skinny dipping. There are a few similar places up and down the Thames tucked away which are left to develop a character all of their own.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maggot and gaijingirl like this.
  2. mack

mack Fact Me Till I Fart

I never learnt to swim as a kid at school as I had really bad eczema - chlorine made it worse. The last few holidays have all been seaside and I was getting pissed off that I couldn't really enjoy it all - so I took a couple of lessons with a pro to get me over the initial fear and get some basic instructions - the rest I just watched loads of youtube videos.

Anyway I've just come back from holiday and swam nearly every day - fucking loved it. Going to get some pool time now and refine the technique before I'm off again in a few weeks.

3. _pH_

_pH_ .

Another swim in Shoalstone Pool today. Tide was too low for jumping off the rocks though, never mind, another time.

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  4. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Up to my knees in amniotic fluid

ok;)

5. _pH_

_pH_ .

Seaford again yesterday. The water was lovely and warm, the beach was the busiest I've ever seen it but still loads of room, the temperature was fresh and breezy after stifling London.

Dom's words of wisdom for the day:

20130715_180038rs.jpg

6. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Friend of the one trick pony

I like Dom before I've met him

7. OvalhouseDB

OvalhouseDB Well-Known Member

Me too! But I am not sure I can say the same about Seaford. I wish we had found his cafe when we went.

8. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

Norfolk, today, lovely dip only about a minute due to being in a hurry and being scared of the sea monsters :) Feel all salty and happy now :)

9. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

It was well warm too.

10. souljacker

souljacker and this is fresh

I had a cracking swim in the sea at Porthmister in St Ives yesterday. It was pretty cold but that's what sea swimming is all about IMO. Gets the blood flowing. :)

gaijingirl likes this.
  11. Maggot

Maggot .

Swam in a lovely lake just off the River Stort recently with pinkmonkey and El Jugador.

The water was clear and warm.

Attached Files:

12. Miss-Shelf

I had my first sea swim of the year today at cooden beach
    got drenched before my swim in a short thunderstorm and then the sea didn't seem cold at all
    more swims to come I hope

gaijingirl and Greebo like this.
  13. Miss-Shelf

two swims so far in Jersey (Uk just about)
    one at archirondel (cold but bearable) and one at portlet (perfect shimmery sunny sea - the sort of swim that just fills me up with awe and keeps me going for a long time)
    portlet
    portlet.jpg

clicker and not-bono-ever like this.
  14. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix μεθαύριο

I had a swim at Hove yesterday and Brighton today. Lovely and refreshing.

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  15. souljacker

I'm off to Studland on Friday so looking forward to my first dip of the year. Then Bognor next week for another.

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  16. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Been for a few down Normans Bay. Dead quiet, warm water and just a few blokes in budgie smugglers.

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  17. plurker

plurker tú no tienes la culpa mi amor que el mundo sea feo

First sea-swim was on Monday, at Durley Chine in Bournemouth (aka the quieter end).
    Lifeguard station said 19 degree temp; which is what the lido said but sea feels warmer. Cold initially, but swam out to the buoy and back (150m each way I think) and that warmed me up. Some ppl in wetsuits.

not-bono-ever and Miss-Shelf like this.
  18. krtek a houby

krtek a houby it can't happen here Enforced Holiday Banned

First swim in Sanur, Bali in May. Like stepping into a bath.

19. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

I had a look at sea temperatures earlier - 21 degrees at Arcachon, 19 at Rhossili !

20. souljacker

Absolutely gorgeous swim in Studland today. Sea temps are fantastic in the Solent at the moment (if that's what this area is classified as).

Beaches absolutely heaving though. Hardly a spare spot on any of the beaches at all.

not-bono-ever and Miss-Shelf like this.
  21. souljacker

I had another lovely sea swim in Ramsgate today. Quite a sharp hit when I first dived in but not bad when I got going. Lifeguard said 19deg but it felt cooler than that.

I really love sea swimming. I can't think of anything that makes me feel the same way. It's a wonderful all over body buzz.

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  22. i have not done one this year. fucking hell - kids with broken arms have really fucked up the summer

23. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Did my 1st one of the year on Thursday. In the Pacific :cool: in Vancouver. It was fucking freezing :D

Miss-Shelf and souljacker like this.
  24. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

West Wittering last Tuesday.
    Forgot to check tide tables so it was a bloody long walk out to get more than knee deep.
    The shame of it.:facepalm:

Miss-Shelf and colacubes like this.
  25. Fuck me, it has been a busy year

first one tomorrow @ joss bay

may take wetsuit ...

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  26. trashpony

trashpony Starfish and coffee, maple syrup and jam

I swam there on Wednesday - no wetsuit ;) Was lovely :)

Miss-Shelf and not-bono-ever like this.
  27. It would havr been wonderful on wednesday.

tomorrow get up early
    Make tortilla
    fresh baguette
    Make tortilla sandwiches
    find leaky dinghy
    find swimsuits and wetsuits
    find sunglasses and suncream
    fill up chiller bags with food snd drink......

Lists
    lists
    lists

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  28. trashpony

:D

It was lovely although not quite as relaxing as going to the beach on your own should be - everyone else had under 5s with them. The noise levels were quite something!

Have you been since they put up the kids zone thing? £4 per kid all day - there are 2 inflatable slides, a bouncy castle and some trampolines. They get wristbands so can go in and out. I even managed to read a good chunk of my book last time :eek:

29. My kids are getting s bit old but its worth a go!

Eta. Actually, trampoline is a no no after last summers snapped arm

30. trashpony

:eek: Perhaps not then!