1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Sea swim of the year ?

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by not-bono-ever, Apr 23, 2011.

1. _pH_

_pH_ .

Ssshh, don't mention the super-secret camping forum, all the riff-raff on here will end up wanting to come. Anyway, don't be silly, it's mostly hippies going camping and everyone knows hippies are allergic to water. It's a nice idea for those of us who aren't hippies though.

gaijingirl likes this.
  2. silverfish

silverfish Sprinkling glitter on turds

WOOP

Cornish swim went to rat shit after they changed the time to later in the day, would have been a 5 hour drive down, a swim 5 hour drive back and get up in 6 hours to drive to eton Dorney....

So I got shitters on tequila and 9% lager on friday night, stayed up till 0300.....got to Eton Dorney still pissed and cracked an (adult age) personal best of 25 minutes for the 1500m. I used to do it quicker went I was 15 but I was in the pool twice a day then.

Cool lake to swim on, really clear and fish were spotted:D

Just trying to identify open water swims later in the year, I think everyone gets a bit put off by temperatures, but the water holds its temp from summer right through Autum/winter....

gaijingirl likes this.
  3. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

1500 in 15 is v. impressive. My fastest was about 25 mins. Takes me that long to do 1000m now - although haven't done it with the wetsuit for a while - shoulod shave a bit of time off. Losing several stone would help too mind. :facepalm: Just off to the lido.

4. silverfish

15 was age not time :-0

5. gaijingirl

ah! That makes more sense! I was thinking of you as I chugged up and down the pool today thinking... "flipping 'ell"

6. silverfish

Was 19 minutes something, my time has increased in proportion to my weight

7. _pH_

_pH_ .

Finally! On the beach at Seaford, first swim this year.

Water: a bit nippy. Weather: sunny and warm. Picnic: pork pie, Pimms, G&T

8. _pH_

_pH_ .

Gosh I go there quite a lot don't I? Pictures from today, much like every other picture of Seaford I have posted so far:

20130619_154604cr.jpg

20130619_154612cr.jpg

Dom, the chap who runs the cafe on the beach, was on good form for the first sunny day of the season:

20130619_174124cr.jpg

I had a swim and a picnic and sat in the sun and wrote a poem which a top critic described as 'the most beautiful thing she's ever read' and compared it to Baudelaire. Here you go:

Oh! Jolie mouette!
    Tu voles au dessus de ma tête
    Toujours quand je viens à la plage.
    Tu voles beaucoup mieux que je nage.

9. 25c on saturday - I am going for my first swim at Joss bay:cool:

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  10. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

Went body surfing in north devon (bucks cross) on saturday. Awesome.

[​IMG]

Miss-Shelf, Greebo and not-bono-ever like this.
  11. Joss Bay today. Lovely- I am a few months latw with my first swim, but its a start.

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  12. trashpony

trashpony Starfish and coffee, maple syrup and jam

And me today. I don't think I've ever seen it so packed! :eek:

Miss-Shelf and not-bono-ever like this.
  13. forgot how many rocks there are underfoot at at low tide and how far you have to go out to get to waist deep when you are trying to swim. still got that lovely tight sun, salt and wind feeling on the skin.

Greebo likes this.
  14. trashpony

If you go out between the black and white checkered flags (where they put boards/boats out) there aren't any rocks. I realised at the end of last summer that they keep the nicest bit of the beach for the boats :mad: :D

Greebo and not-bono-ever like this.
  15. _pH_

_pH_ .

I am disappointed at the lack of pictures on this thread.

16. Joss has been our little secret destination for a decade. Well, not exactly secret, but you know what I mean- its starting to really fill up in the past 5 years or so on decent days. Last year , the family beside us were carrying a William Rose ( expensive butchers in East Dulwich ) hessian shopping bag. Its all downhill from here...maybe an Urban Crusty + dogs on strings beach assault cadre may halt this ingress;)

trashpony likes this.
  17. trashpony

Yesterday it would have been pictures of windbreakers. What is it with the British and setting up camp on the beach? There were huge gazebos and encampments with windbreaks on 3 sides everywhere you looked. What's wrong with just taking something to sit on? :D

18. Gingerman

Gingerman Is a great bunch of lads.....

Got to learn how to swim :(

19. Gotta mark your territory innit.

Went in a Hayling Island yesterday. Can't say it was warm, but Baby Bahn claimed it was :hmm:

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  20. nagapie

nagapie Well-Known Member

I heartily endorse umbrellas, sun is too dangerous and hot otherwise, even in this sun-starved country.

trashpony and Greebo like this.
  21. _pH_

_pH_ .

It's because we don't have colonies any more, the best we can do these days is claim a bit of the beach.

22. Disjecta Membra

Disjecta Membra cashing reality checks but cant even pay atention.

Tell me about it. I'm gonna freeze while my little man seems impervious, till his lips are blue. Now I'm here I wish I had a windbreak, bloody wind and Pervy women

23. _pH_

_pH_ .

I am in Brixham looking after Mother as she's broken her arm SIT DOWN MOTHER I SAID I'D TAKE THE RUBBISH OUT IN A MINUTE mums eh? but managed to get a swim in earlier today at Shoalstone Pool and off the rocks.

20130710_161643rs.jpg

20130710_161654rs.jpg

Pictures posted solely to make gaijingirl jealous.

24. gaijingirl

oh FFS!

you've ruined my evening!

I am utterly utterly jealous...

25. When they kick out your front door, how you gonna come?
    With your hands on your head
    Or on the trigger of your gun

When the law break in
    How you gonna go?
    Shot down on the pavement
    Or waiting in death row..

You can crush us
    You can bruise us
    But you'll have to answer to
    Oh-the guns of Brixham

26. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Up to my knees in amniotic fluid

Oh God I'm so excited because I AM GOING TO SWIM IN THE SEA ON SATURDAY NAKED.

27. _pH_

_pH_ .

OH SHIT I'm in trouble now.

gaijingirl likes this.
  28. trashpony

And where would that be hmm?

<buys tickets>

29. kalidarkone

kalidarkone Up to my knees in amniotic fluid

That would be Oxwich Bay, Wales or there abouts...so excited, promised myself at least an annual swim in the sea but sadly this has not occurred for a few years.

30. Pics or it didn't happen.