1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Sea swim of the year ?

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by not-bono-ever, Apr 23, 2011.

1. _pH_

_pH_ .

2. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

FFS!

How's your foot? :rolleyes:

3. gaijingirl

oh bollocks - really want to go but that's a little far. Maybe one day. Says it's one of only a few left in the country. I wonder where the others are?

4. _pH_

_pH_ .

It's fine now, thank you for asking xxx

gaijingirl likes this.
  5. _pH_

_pH_ .

It'd be ideal for your lovely children, an introduction to sea swimming but in a nice and safe way. Torbay Council provide lifeguards 9-5 during the summer. Toilets and a cafe, and little changing cubicle things. I don't think it gets massively busy either (wasn't today - mind you it pissed down this morning here) because it's a little way out of Brixham past the breakwater (which also has a nice beach with a lovely cafe/bistro that even my mum likes so it must be good).

And you might see seals.

gaijingirl likes this.
  6. gaijingirl

it sounds gorgeous... I'm filing it in my "places to go" file.

7. _pH_

_pH_ .

Oh yeah, the pool depth varies according to the tide, but at one end it's max a couple of feet and there's a ramp into the water so great for kids. Deep end is around 2m at most so great for mum and dad.

AND YOU MIGHT SEE SEALS.

gaijingirl likes this.
  8. _pH_

_pH_ .

I think you'd love it. Don't leave it too late, it's been threatened with closure recently because of a lack of funding for lifeguards or something.

Miss-Shelf and gaijingirl like this.
  9. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Up to my tits in quilts

hope your foots ok pH
    loving the seal
    *jealous*

10. _pH_

_pH_ .

The seal was there to give me marks for jumping off the rocks. He gave me 10/10. It was the seal of approval.

I stole this joke off oicur0t who doesn't post here no more.

Maggot likes this.
  11. Miss-Shelf

Ha ha

go team seal

12. _pH_

_pH_ .

Went back to the pool today, it was closed, so I went in the sea and swam out to these rocks and dived in off them. Didn't even die.

rocks3.jpg

13. Miss-Shelf

lovely view _pH_
    My folks are in Jersey at the moment and I *really* want to be there for a swim
    don't want to have to spend the money time or patience-with-family-members needed but still

I *need* a swim tomorrow - maybe cooden beach again just for ease of travel
    any other ideas for easy travel from London?

14. gaijingirl

You look lovely in that pink onesie _pH_

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  15. _pH_

_pH_ .

Cooden Beach, yeah. Or Bexhill, then go and have lunch on the roof terrace of the De La Warr. Or you could just go to Jersey. I'll meet you there, I'm half way there already.

I do look gorgeous don't I? And what a smashing blouse I'm wearing now, don't you think?

16. gaijingirl

I didn't like to say, but it's a bit revealing... :oops:

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  17. Miss-Shelf

Just back from climping. long day in the sun and sea
    lovely

18. silverfish

silverfish Sprinkling glitter on turds

Had a lovely rained on swim at eype, dorset last week
    I'm swimming 3000 meters of the Thames on sunday, I think I prefer salt water to honky river water

19. Miss-Shelf

Wow on both counts
    good luck with the thames

20. gaijingirl

we're down to Dorset tomorrow. Hopefully many sea swims will take place.

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  21. _pH_

_pH_ .

I thought about Climping* yesterday but got half way there and it started to look like rain and I didn't fancy being an hour's walk away from the station if it started pissing down so I changed trains at Gatwick and went to Seaford instead. Turned out to be a lovely afternoon, did lots of swimming, had a nice picnic, couple of glasses of wine, appropriate bit of Debussy on the mp3 player.

seaford1.jpg

seaford2.jpg

Changed trains at Brighton on the way back. Brighton was heaving and all the trains were packed so went to the Seven Stars in the Laines for a bit and listened to a jazz band (guitar, trumpet, old lady of 85 sitting on a stool doing vocals - she was great).

*Climp vb intr. /klɪmp/ to engage in sandy bumsex in dunes [source]

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  22. _pH_

_pH_ .

alright David Walliams. (good luck with that).

All you have to do is swim across Lyme Bay, turn left a bit between Ore Stone and Thatcher Rock, carry on across Torbay, you'll be at Shoalstone in no time.

gaijingirl likes this.
  23. gaijingirl

I have a car sat nav and a bicycle sat nav... I will need a swimming sat nav, or for you to come down in a boat with a loudspeaker...

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  24. _pH_

_pH_ .

Seaford again today. Very breezy - the lettuce on my salad blew away. Water temperature perfectly ok, but big big waves so I lasted 5 minutes before realising it was a stupid idea to swim today. Got spat out onto the beach by one big wave and knocked over by the next.

seaford.jpg

25. silverfish

I'm off to cornwall on friday, swimming towards St Michaels mount, 1500m on saturday, which will be nice

http://www.festivalofsport.net/core-sports/open-water-swims.aspx

Then back to civilisation for the Eton Dorney triathlon the next day, I'm doing the 1500m swimming leg for a tri team

I may be sick of swimming by Monday morning:D but recovered in time for training tuesday........

gaijingirl and Miss-Shelf like this.
  26. _pH_

_pH_ .

Swallowing faecal coliforms does that to you.

27. did this on sunday

[​IMG]

Will it be the last sea swim of the year ? I have a feeling they be another opportunity soon

28. silverfish

I'm a surfer, I swallow my pride and gargle coca-cola, the only time I touch the evil shite

29. Miss-Shelf

I had a swim in the womens pond hampsted on sunday queued to get in it was so busy and then had to swim queue to get out

dont want to think it will be the last sea swim of the year

Two weeks ago I was at west bay at high tide and massive waves too rough to swim although a magnificent sea

30. gaijingirl

got a few good swims in in Dorset a couple of weeks ago. _pH_ maybe we can persuade the urban massive to go for a sea swim during our camping trip?