1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Sea swim of the year ?

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by not-bono-ever, Apr 23, 2011.

1. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Song and Sable

near margate today - scarily cold but fantastic to get one in during April

Yours ?

2. dessiato

dessiato Philippians 4:8

People were swimming here last weekend. I settled for paddling, it was too cold for me.

3. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

I looked longingly at the swimmers at Clevedon after 2 and a half hot hours of cycling to get there ....

clevedon.jpg

Only wetsuited divers in that photo, but there were quite a few swimmers - though maybe the same ones who swim on new year's day ...

I would doubtless have cramped though...

4. Sir Belchalot

Sir Belchalot arenicola marina

Last weekend at Chapman's Pool, Purbeck. Didn't last too long though.

5. silverfish

silverfish Sprinkling glitter on turds

Very jealous

6. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

Two days ago in Lyme Regis....bloody cold but too hot not to....if that makes sense....in April, certifiable, had to be done.

7. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

Sea temps 11 in the SW, 9 in the North sea.

I hadn't realised the temperature can get as high as 17 degrees (in August).

Polzeath.jpg

8. silverfish

silverfish Sprinkling glitter on turds

My last fresh air swim in a barramundi pond with smelly labrador following

[​IMG]

weltweit likes this.
  9. temper_tantrum

temper_tantrum The beauty of the ride

Does mid-January, on the Pacific coast of Mexico, count? ;)

Pickman's model likes this.
  10. rover07

rover07 has a shining car.

I went for a swim last Thursday.

It was fucking FREEZING! Stayed in for barely 30 seconds. :D

11. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

No. :p

12. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

First sea swiming I knew of here was on New Years Day - Locally known as the "Nippy Dip"

13. Gavin Bl

Gavin Bl terrible awful baaad

went out with the kids in the Gower last week, lovely but very cold, to the point of pain after a while. We had to settle for only two more return swims, and we were basically crying the third time..

14. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

Rhossili / Llangenith ?

Had a lot of fun there a couple of years ago. :)

15. invisibleplanet

invisibleplanet porter des cornes

[​IMG]
    There's a surfer swimming out to the meet the waves in this foto (March 29th)
    I've been in this year, but was wearing my wetsuit. There's no way I'll go in w/o my wetsuit.

bromley likes this.
  16. Gavin Bl

yes it was funnily enough - fabulous beach, the llangenith end, haven't been there since I was a kid. Went to Caswell the day before.

17. invisibleplanet

invisibleplanet porter des cornes

I'll be in the briney early Sunday morning, but wearing my wetsuit and windproofing (sailing).

18. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

Shark cage diving a few weeks ago in Sth Africa :)

19. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Magnum fairy

first sea swim of my year - yesterday at cooden beach

20. Clair De Lune

Clair De Lune Glistening finger

I didn't swim properly cos my son was on my shoulders but it was lovely to cool off in as it was so damn hot on Caswell bay. We went in three times, last time up to my chest. If someone had been able to look after the kids I would definitely have had a swim :)

21. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

I've done new year's day a couple of times in the Adriatic... was pretty damn cold!

22. lighterthief

lighterthief Well-Known Member

29th April in Devon, *freezing* cold, yesterday in the Oslo fjord, bracing but very pleasant.

23. Gavin Bl

yesterday at Southerndown, near Bridgend. Started raining while we were in the bloody water. My very skinny six year old, went purple around the mouth, and we went home with the kids wearing towels as makeshift rain capes....:D

A proper british day out.

24. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Song and Sable

i've started ( this thread ) so I'll finish

likely last swim of the year today - same place as the first one.

lovely!

25. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Magnum fairy

I had some great swims at the end of August in Jersey
    If anyone knows them, in this order I went in at
    Portlet, Archirondel, St Brelades, La Coupe, La Rocque and Rozel. Amazing how tides and places offer such different swims and temperatures.
    I'm wondering if I can get a south coast england swim in before the end of October. Thinking about going to Climping(nr Littlehampton) as it'll need to be via train from London. anyone know that beach?

26. Maggot

Maggot .

I had my first (and probably last) sea swim yesterday. Went to somewhere between Whitstable and Herne Bay. Fairly brief but enjoyable. There's a wind farm there and there was a Rescue helicopter which appeared to be rescuing someone in the distance.

27. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

I went swimming in the river yesterday with lil fraction :cool:

28. _pH_

_pH_ .

I am jealous and find it grossly unfair that you didn't think to take me with you to Jersey.

I went to Littlehampton West Beach (opposite side of the Arun from the awful tacky pleasure beach) a few weeks back which is a little way east of Climping. Steeply sloping shingle (although that was at near-high tide), backed by whispering sand dunes and marram grass (SSSI no less), a Napoleonic fort lurking in the brambles and a nice little cafe. I went midweek (late August/early September? I forget) and it wasn't particularly crowded. 20 minute walk from the station, but quite a pleasant walk, over the river and past the boatyards. I suppose a further 10 minutes' westwards along the shingle towards Atherington will get you to the beach south of Climping, but I'm not sure it would be much different. No sand dunes there though, looking at the map.

I have been to Cooden Beach quite a few times this year (most recently last Thursday, after a visit to Pevensey Castle) as it meets all the essential requirements for a day on the beach for me: sun + sea + sand* + solitude + station. Which makes it perfect as long as I remember to take cocktails and a good book. Seaford comes a close second, but loses points for lack of solitude, whereas at Cooden Beach I can have a whole section of beach from one groyne to the next to myself.

*at low tide anyway:

[​IMG]

weltweit likes this.
  29. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

The sea seems amazingly warm at the moment in the south. I've had an enjoyable swim at 13 degrees C.

[​IMG]

30. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix μεθαύριο

I went in Saturday at Worthing for my first swim in the sea this year. Not cold at all.