Finsbury Park- Blackstock Road raids.

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Melinda, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Melinda

Melinda Kama roa, efshar livloa?

Bloody hell, just seen this on the BBC London news.

Six hundred coppers in riot gear to raid an *entire* street looking for crims? The Road was closed off- no one (or buses) in or out.

Police are reported to have seized more than "350 stolen items including 120 laptops, 110 cameras, 32 iPods, 20 sat-navs and 47 fake passports and driving licences." Source BBC London site.

In addition an un-named mobile phone company apparently reported that 50% of all stolen mobile phones end up Finsbury Park!

Sounds like it was proper Passport to Pimlico stuff! It is slightly scruffy but is it any more so than any number of places? Is it bad enough to justify a battallion of police?

2. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

Blimey.. I really like that street.. all the Turkish cafes and stuff... whoda thunk it?

3. Prince Rhyus

Prince Rhyus Spokesman of King Antonio

4. Melinda

Its so intimidating!

Any one seen Louloubelle today? :hmm:

5. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

6. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

so where do muggers offload the other 50%?

7. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Do they just chuck them onto some huge ever-growing pile of them or something?:confused:

8. pk

pk drink flounce rinse repeat

Coldharbour Lane next, to catch those crack dealers with any luck.

9. Melinda

They they must! Because the damn things arent supposed to work once you've reported them stolen!

However on Radio4 a coupla days ago I heard about a woman who had her Sidekick phone stolen, she called her own phone and spoke to the thief who refused to give it back.

Unluckily for the thief, Sidekick phones back up everything including all the new photos and video taken by the thief of her family and friends.

From the thief's roaming, her Myspace page and her name were revealed.

The woman's mate laid out the whole story including the photos on his blog.
    After much shaming, the thief was arrested and the phone and the phone returned!

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/21/nyregion/21sidekick.html

10. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

Ooh. I lived there briefly. No one ever offered me a mobile phone. .

11. Sunray

Sunray Its sunny somewhere.

I cant see why they are so valuable to steal any more? Once the IMEI number has been barred from the network, its going to be a right pain in the arse to get it functional again. Generally involving some cost.

Suppose there might be some dedicated people who can reinstate it and offer 50 quid. Hard to keep that quiet.

12. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

I now understand why i saw SO many meat wagon's going down Upper Street yesterday.

I thought it was to do with the Emirates summit thing, as i saw Gordon Brown going the same way a bit earlier.

They have certainly come away with a load of nicked gear, 600 seems a tad excessive, a strong PR message but i can't lose too much sleep about all that lot being recovered and the miscreants banged up.

13. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Just found out about this today, I used to live just off Blackstock Road and I walk past the end of it every morning. I wondered why there was a traffic problem in Finsbury Park last night when I was waiting for a bus.

Not only that but I live just near where the stabbing in Stamford Hill was yesterday :eek:

14. pk

pk drink flounce rinse repeat

LOL thats classic - one for the pwned thread in General methinks!

15. Giles

Giles Well-Known Member

Well, there ARE people who have the software etc to change the IMEI number. They made it illegal to have this kit, or offer this service, only a few years ago. But I am sure its still possible.

Then there is export - although the UK operators agreed to co-operate to make sure that stolen phones couldn't easily be re-used on other UK networks, I don't know how worldwide this is.

Finally, many phones are nicked as part of a general bag-snatch, mugging etc. If someone pulls a knife on you and says empty your pockets, he will take your wallet, ipod and take the phone anyway, even if it IS worthless to him.

Giles..

16. Great news about the raids. There's a 100 yard stretch of Blackstock Rd where it meets Seven Sisters Rd, that had become deeply intimidating, gangsters, gangs, thieves and street harassers operating with impunity. It had been completely taken over by criminals, and it was a frightening place to walk, especially at night, especially for women. I live just off the street, and when I went to look the next day at which 'businesses' were closed or had been raided, I was not in the least surprised. They were the ones outside wheich I had been hissed at, intimidated abused and sometimes groped and jostled by arrogant racist youths.

The Turkish shopkeepers I am friendly with on Blackstock Rd were absolutely thrilled as well. I like living where I live, I love the shops selling baklava, breads,spit-roast chickens, fresh ground coffee, fantastic shish kebabs in flatbread and pide, piles of fruit and veg - I am friendly with lots of the shopkeepers because I buy all my food there, daily, and don't use supermarkets at all. To see the road being taken over by skanky gangsters was tragic. Well done the cops. Message sent and they knew exactly who they were going to arrest.

Now we might get our neighbourhood back.:)

17. WWWeed

WWWeed Bandwidth Bandit

some?!? there are loads of people who can do it! The reason why mobile phone theft is still huge is because it is so easy to get the IMEI changed!

Stolen phones are worth less money, but they are certainly not worthless!

If the phone company's and the phone manufactures pulled their fingers out they could solve the problem overnight and cut street robbery by at least half! but its just not in there interests.........

18. salem

salem Well-Known Member

Yeah that just about sums it up. It's not all that hard to do at all and any kind of carrer criminal or gang can have it done easily. Anything which makes it harder has to be a good thing though.

I'm not so sure how they could improve much on the current system, I mean you're always going to be able to flash the chip or update the firmware or whatever.

19. salem

salem Well-Known Member

That's a really interesting side of the story. Allthough not too far from me, Blackstock Road doesn't really come up on my radar much and I didn't realise that such a problem had developed there.

It would be odd if these raids became a regular occurance whenever an area goes bad though and I'd be interested to know if the area remains 'cleaned up' in the following months.

I think it's certaintly worth trying and I've no doubt that this was as much a convenient training mission for new officers as anything.

20. Just had a long chat with the coppers outside the library. They have been trying to work on this area for a year, installing CCTV 10 months ago, talking to all the local businesses about who the trouble makers were, loads of intelligence - they knew exactly who they were after.

Went to the halal butchers, (there are several but I go to two), had a chat with them, they were cool about it because the harassing youths outside are bad for business.

Went to the Turkish greengrocers, everyone in there was talking about it, they said they could have told the police exactly who to nick - same story, harassing gangs blocking the pavement bad for business, especially for their female customers who would often come in complaining of being harassed. ( That includes me - they're one of the shops I know has a baseball bat under the counter)

Some people in the shop querying why so many coppers but others saying they needed to send a strong message.

It wasn't just about phones - phones, satnav, laptops are also currency for money laundering or stolen goods used in drug transactions. It's heroin. And cocaine.People trafficking, protection rackets, and funding extremism. Massive credit card skimming operations.

These are mid-level gangsters; they got the Mr Bigs as well, as the harassing youths on the street are the thieves and couriers and footsoldiers. Most of them are Algerians.

There's dispersal orders served on all the dodgy caffs and internet shops and shops where the gangs used to hang out blocking the pavement. They can only stand outside on their own now. If there's more than one, they get moved on and can't return for 24 hours; if they do, they get arrested.

That, more than anything is going to make a massive difference to the street.
    The 100 yards at the Finsbury Park end was a criminal fiefdom where these people acted like the rules didn't apply. I have had 6 instances of verbal and physical harassment in the last 6 months. Most women have. Mugging, handbag and phone theft reported - several a week. Fights with broken bottles. Stabbings and slashings. It's been totally out of control for the last 2 -3 years. And they were getting bolder and bolder. Day time harassment , not just night. Physical pushing and grabbing, not just abuse. Blocking the pavement 20 at a time, making women with pushchairs walk in the road to get past. Totally shit - and all concentrated in one area

Now the police are monitoring it all the time with CCTV and officers out and visible. They've resourced it properly -

Today people were going up to the cops and actually thanking them. That's unheard of in Hackney:D

I am massively relieved.

21. Shopping for the ingredients for tea took an hour because everyone was gossiping about it :D. Feels like a community again. Yay, we got our street back:cool:

22. durruti02

durruti02 love and rage!

while i know about the harassment .. i was a candi for a couple of years and all the female students complained .. but since when did the police put so much resources on for something like this for that and a few mobiles??? .. can't help but feel there is somethig more here .. a fishing excercise for islamists?? or a practice major crackdown?? .. sorry i am just suspicious

23. dylanredefined

dylanredefined Not a house elf a tiger

You send a handfull of cops it might kick off .Send loads and loads it wont
    glad to here cops actually doing something worthwhile .

24. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

i've been there loads of times and never noticed anything:oops:

25. Giles

Giles Well-Known Member

I think that the point was not so much that each individual crime or criminal was that "serious", but that collectively this street had become an area where "anything went".

A place where dodgy people came to trade nicked stuff, drugs, whatever, and where those people felt increasingly confident to behave exactly as they pleased.

They felt safe there, as if it was "their" place.

I think the police wanted to not only have enough people to arrest potentially hundreds of people and carry out a lot of searches, but to have enough overwhelming force that a riot would not happen, and possibly to send a firm message to everyone there involved in bad shit that it was "game over".

Giles..

26. smokedout

smokedout criminal

sorry bk but that wasnt my experience of living there at all

seen a bit of dodginess go down around there, finsburys park always been like that but on the whole found it pretty chilled

regularly had coffee outside some of the cafs on that stretch of road, used the internet cafs loadsa times and never once had any aggro

and i had my kid in hs buggy at the time, never got anything but utmost respect from the kids who hung out there

27. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

i worked nearby for about a year, a few years ago, never noticed anything amiss, tbh, i heard about stuff going on, but nothing happened to me

28. sal64lon

sal64lon New Member

as an algerian I worked and lived in Finsbury park for over 15 years, I and members of my has always support the police action to make the area safe and tackle criminality, but the way the operation mist was conducted it has killed the community business in the area? Much business has been affected, and there is questions need to be answered how we can revive the business and improve the area without any negative effect. Our community has the right to have a safe and respected place to gather, the police has to consult with community leader in such big operation!

29. Louloubelle

Louloubelle Well-Known Member

I regularly visit the area and my experience is similar to BK's.

I've been followed by some crazy guy who threatened me with sexual assault (apparently I was an English whore) in exactly the stretch of Blackstock road where the raids took place.

When in that part of Finsbury Park I always wear trainers and never heels, dresses or anything even remotely low cut or showing cleavage, just because I want to avoid the kind of problems that BK described.

I've also seen the young Algerian men fighting each other, loads of times, sometimes with very serious consequences.

Several times young Algerian men have approached me in an apparently friendly way and addressed me in French. While I speak holiday French I'm not so stupid as to understand what was going on and my haughty response that "I don't speak French", accompanied with a sneer to indicate that I am insulted by the assumption, usually seems to satisfy them and they move on to harass someone else.

I think it's long overdue that he cops needed to do something and the problem is a significant one that seems to have been getting worse and worse over time

Vsal64lon

an interesting first post and welcome to the boards
    I'm just wondering what you think the police should have done given the extent of the problem?

30. Blokes who say they never experienced any problems - well no, you wouldn't have - because you're blokes. You wouldn't have noticed it. They harassed women on their own, not men. They fought with each other.

If I walked down the street with my husband I was fine. I said in my post that I had 6 instances of verbal and sometimes physical harassment in 6 months. I walk that stretch of the road twice a day, every day. It was getting worse. For women.

And £200,000k of heroin was nicked as well as cocaine. It wasn't just hooky phones.