Finding landlords that take DSS?

Discussion in 'benefits and housing' started by Slo-mo, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

Harder, I know, than finding a needle in a haystack. But not everyone on DSS is homeless or in social housing so they must exist!

Where to begin the search?

2. patman post

patman post Interested onlooker Banned

The rot started when rent stopped being paid directly to the landlord. What idiot thought teaching welfare recipients to be responsible for their total budgeting was sensible...?

3. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Sparkly cat whisperer

:hmm:

4. BristolEcho

BristolEcho Well-Known Member

Slo-mo likes this.
  5. sealion

sealion Splish splash splosh

Rubbish. Private landlords are capped on what they can get from the dss, so very few bother with that route when letting a property.

muscovyduck and Badgers like this.
  6. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

Absolutely. Also, the system at the moment (Universal Credit) pays about 4-6 weeks in arrears but most landlords want 4-8 weeks rent in advance.
    Landlords are simply not in the game to wait about like that for payments.

muscovyduck and sealion like this.
  7. sealion

That's fucking cruel.

8. BCBlues

Doesn't make sense at all.
    Not just the rent issue but how are people supposed to survive during that waiting period. Horrible policy.

9. sealion

I would have thought it benficial to the tories(having private accessible landlords), seeing as they don't build enough social housing.

10. BCBlues

This is what baffles me. Universal Credit is an absolute clusterfuck from all angles.

muscovyduck, Slo-mo and sealion like this.
  11. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

Ian Duncan Smith will continue to protest with all his might that UC is only fucked because the people who came after it had the thing defunded. This is pure opportunistic lies, I hope he gets fucking ebola

12. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

So do I but I'll settle for him losing his seat. :D

But either way myself and other people have to deal with the situation as is, right now. That means trying to navigate the UC minefield right here and now, no matter what we might ideally like the situation to be..

13. Pickman's model

Pickman's model One star in sight

ebola's too good for him

donkyboy, Puddy_Tat and Enviro like this.
  14. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

for sure, they haven't rolled it out round here yet but no doubt when they do it'll ream me somehow. Can't forget though. Same with lansley, hunts a cunt but lansley put in the groundwork

Slo-mo likes this.
  15. patman post

Capped is one thing. Not getting paid at all is totally different. So when rents stopped being paid directly to landlords, but were given to tenants to pass on, the few defaulters appeared to bugger things up for the rest...

16. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

17. patman post

Universal Credit (max £23,000 pa in Greater London) seems a good idea. It's the implementation that's falling over.
    Ebola is highly contagious — we'd all be at risk...

18. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Banned Banned

I do agree with *some* of the things Patman Post is saying. The old system of JSA and Housing Benefits wasn't exactly flaw free either and it hadn't been overhauled for some time.

In fact real effort must have gone in to actually come up with something worse!!

19. existentialist

existentialist Danced on by a twerking bee

Won't anyone think of the ebola?

20. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Just asked an estate agent friend and they have advised to contact your local agents and be asked to put on contact list to be notified when something comes up that accepts DSS in your criteria.

Apparently her agency has to state they don't accept DSS, so unless the advert categorically says 'does not accept dss' then don't assume they don't. Don't limit yourself to adverts that say they do accept!

There was the case recently of the single mother who I think took a landlord to court over some stupid ruling, because of child tax credit being classed as a benefit.

EDIT: Here's the story: Landlords who say 'no DSS' flout the law

Slo-mo likes this.
  21. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

I've mentioned on here before but when I accidentally found myself as a landlord for a year the letting agency just stuck 'no DSS' on the advert without even asking me. I suspect this happens all the time.

muscovyduck and Slo-mo like this.
  22. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

If the landlord is willing to take DSS then they're denying him a potential market, so poor businessmen as well as cunts.

muscovyduck, Slo-mo and Teaboy like this.
  23. ricbake

ricbake working out how

Slo-mo likes this.
  24. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

Deliberately so, it's all designed to keep people working in shit jobs and living in shit homes by creating a perpetual sense of dread.

existentialist and Slo-mo like this.
  25. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

Then if you ask the agent they'll say the landord insisted on it. They don't like it of course, but their hands are tied.

The way they say it on the adverts is piss-boiling too. This property would not be suitable for benefit claimants. Why not? How can a house be unsuitable for anyone? It's either fit for human habitation or it isn't, although of course fit for human habitation is not actually a requirement for private lettings.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  26. ricbake

ricbake working out how

If you are looking in Derby this may be of use - https://www.derbyhomefinder.org/Data/ASPPages/1/37.aspx

Slo-mo likes this.
  27. passenger

passenger up and down...

Well a friend of mine is getting a move, long story, is in a council flat
    at the moment she has a section 21 notice to leave (give up the flat)
    but has been offord a move they pay the deposit and guarantee her
    re rent etc not sure if this helps ?

Slo-mo likes this.
  28. extra dry

extra dry Happy to be here

There are a few companies/estate agents who look to get the business of this type of letting out. Few years old and so situations very desperate.