FIFA arrests for racketeering, wire fraud and money laundering conspiracies

Discussion in 'football' started by yardbird, May 27, 2015.

1. JTG

JTG Angry about not being able to be an astronaut.

Greg Dyke mithering on about re-opening the 2022 bidding and whatnot. He really needs to understand that it still looks like sour grapes to an awful lot of countries and that in fact this whole thing isn't actually about England

For similar reasons, the ludicrous idea being bandied around by some that David Gill should stand for President hasn't the faintest glimmer of a chance. More hope of Jules Rimet being re-elected from beyond the grave

chalkhorse, Gingerman and Maltin like this.
  2. Gingerman

Gingerman Is a great bunch of lads.....

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  3. pocketscience

pocketscience Well-Known Member

:eek:
    Are you serious? Please say this is irony.
    You really think that spreading / perpetuating corruption on this scale is the kind of developement Africa needs?

and why does the timing stink now? This is decades overdue

chalkhorse, Bahnhof Strasse and Wilf like this.
  4. Wilf

Wilf Dances like a Christian

Culture Sec is today saying England is ready to host 2018. As well as it being rank opportunism, it totally misses the reasons why Blatter was so successful. As you say the history of self interest from eufa is the thing that created a space for Blatter's 'democratising corruption'.

5. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Greg dyke and the culture secretary should shutup about England holding one of the world cups. It makes this country look like right mugs.

Fez909, Gingerman, emanymton and 5 others like this.
  6. The Octagon

The Octagon Stop...Hammertime

Pretty sure the FA and government are going to talk us out of ever getting the World Cup at this rate (not that I'm too fussed).

7. Diamond

Diamond The Red Baron

Blatter was successful because he operated a classic "divide and rule" policy.

8. Batboy

Batboy Trumpeting is good for you...

I'd vote for Jules Rimet at least he won't be taking/offering back handers....

9. Batboy

Batboy Trumpeting is good for you...

I'll second this... Africa has its own share of corruption it would have been nice for FIFA to lead by example....

10. pocketscience

I don't think we've even started to see how fucked up can shit was getting.
    Now the cunts doing deals are starting to come out of the woodwork - this one's truly astounding;
    http://www.theguardian.com/football...fai-after-thierry-henry-handball-john-delaney

11. BandWagon

BandWagon Life's a bitch and then you die...

I don't know the details here, but it's not uncommon to reach a commercial settlement instead of pursuing legal action which can take years and be very expensive. Only the lawyers get rich....

Sirena likes this.
  12. pocketscience

Never heard of it before.
    I wonder why the irish FA dodn't make this transparent at the time and if its such common practice why the feel the need to say so now?

13. chalkhorse

chalkhorse New Member

I've heard it said the timing stinks because the Joos.

14. The Boy

The Boy danny la rouge is probably wrong.

Presumably because what will have been a dispassionately calculated cost/benefit decision made by lawyers wouldn't be seen quite so dispassionately by those who follow the national side and so on. No idea why it's come out now other than trying to bury it under the rest of the news to avoid outcry over the aforementioned.

pocketscience likes this.
  15. Gingerman

If the 2018 finals goes ahead in Russia I cant see the 2022 finals going to another European nation if Qatar are stripped of the tournament, Australia or possibly even China perhaps :hmm:

16. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

Spend hundreds of thousands of pounds on what would probably be a fruitless legal action or take a large settlement to invest in your sport?

I would say there's no decision to make.

BandWagon likes this.
  17. The Boy

The Boy danny la rouge is probably wrong.

Aye. Always a settle out of court job.

BandWagon likes this.
  18. two sheds

two sheds Least noticed poster 2007

Henry should have paid it by rights.

19. JTG

JTG Angry about not being able to be an astronaut.

Australia definitely ahead of England in these stakes. England's claim is based on some sense of entitlement and is utterly ridiculous.

Actually, just let it alternate between Germany and the US really

20. BandWagon

BandWagon Life's a bitch and then you die...

The time zone for Oz is really bad. Should be Europe or N/S America

21. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

They should host in england but only in stadiums in crumbling post industrial towns. I'm talking dry rot in the changing rooms, 1970's architecture grim. Lets bring it back down to earth.

22. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

That one's just weird. I can't see it's a dispassionate cost benefit assessment because a legal challenge would have been a joke - why would they pay the FAI that much money to not make themselves look completely ridiculous?

23. Wilf

Bribes paid in Waggon Wheels.

24. Wilf

'It was a loan for a stadium' - fucking hell, fifa must be making these excuses up in real time. What's next, 'the £20m was so he could buy his son a Scalextric'?

25. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Loans for stadiums has probably been one of their standard cover ups for dodgy dealings hasn't it. Sometimes the stadiums might have even been built, with a part of the loan. I can't say it's any less likely than 'to avoid legal action because of a dodgy refereeing decision' though, like I say. If the FAI has taken the money they need a better excuse than that.

26. Wilf

England were going to go to court over the Hand of God till Argentina said we could keep the Malvinas if we let it lie.

27. Gingerman

A strong contender for winner of the brass neck of the year award .....

28. pocketscience

I've seen australian stadia. No proper floodlights. Fuck'em, football's coming home

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  29. pocketscience

No need to bother answerng those with their rational "business case" arguements because youve summed it up correctly.
    Those not understanding what's at stake here: just give the WC to saudia arabia (tornement host and trophey) till they run out of oil or what?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  30. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

Surely the ref was the one who fucked up? It's a game of footie & the ref does often fuck up but this does not affect the result.