Field Day/Mighty Hoopla festivals, Brockwell Park 2018/2019 - news and discussion

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Reiabuzz, Feb 5, 2018.

1. wurlycurly

wurlycurly diss member

I wasn't there. If I had been in attendance in a journalistic capacity I'd be all over the two issues I raised. As regards the accusations of drug-dealing by security, you admit yourself in an earlier post that you're hearing 'plenty of dodgy accusations'. Perhaps you were referring to their sartorial choices?

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

And tell me how you'd be "all over" the issues, seeing most of them have only come to light after the festival. What would you have done? Installed a spy cam in the drug search tent or something?

The one incident I directly experienced - the unpleasant, heavy handed drug search has been documented in my report - and as I've already stated, I can't substantiate the rumours I heard so it would be quite wrong to publish them.

But you've insisted that there have been "myriad allegations" that security were selling drugs. For the third time of asking, could you provide some evidenced examples of these many, many documented instances that you appear to be referring to? Thanks.

3. wurlycurly

wurlycurly diss member

There were accusations on Twitter and I spoke to off-their-face people in the Prince Regent who said they had bought drugs from security. Also (and critically, given that you're now bizarrely asking for conformation that these allegations have been aired) the editor of Urban75 wrote: "I'm hearing plenty of dodgy comments about the security and drugs but probably best not to repeat them here", and followed that post up with an image of Spock. Are you now saying you didn't hear any allegations?

teuchter likes this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I did hear "dodgy comments about the security and drugs" but as I have no absolutely proof to back up any of the comments, I'm not going to post them up here. Because to do so would be libellous.

You, on the other hand, have claimed to be party to "myriad allegations that security were selling drugs." I've asked multiple times for some actual evidence - or at least a source of these many, many, many allegations - but if the best you can come up with is your undocumented claimed conversations with "off-their-face people" in a pub, well, let's leave it at that because it's getting a bit embarrassing now.

At least all your daft posturing has proved how difficult it is to get hard evidence for these kind of claims. Which is exactly why I haven't published them in a public forum as an identifiable author.

:facepalm: :D

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Disappointing to see homophobia bubbling up on social media in response to the Mighty Hoopla festival.... :(

6. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

yes I saw that - really unpleasant.

editor likes this.
  7. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's been confirmed as being in Brixton.

2018-06-05_222742.jpg

Gramsci likes this.
  9. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

I don’t understand why the wall is still up. The metal gates where the turnstiles were are open so anyone can gain access to the site. The event finished 3 days ago, they should at least be forced to allow through access

editor likes this.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Resident Advisor review:

Review: Field Day 2018: Five key performances

And that Twitter thread:

And...

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I fancy this doesn't quite live up to the caption

Gramsci likes this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

13. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I may be wrong but I thought part of the deal with Field Day was that they would pay for the wall. It would be used for the new closed off Lambeth Country show?

14. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

That was Lovebox.

Gramsci likes this.
  15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This looks very dodgy:

16. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

There's a post on the tranquillity site which says that a FD staff member working on this is off due to compassionate leave.

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm sorry to hear this but given the big PR splash they made about 'their' generous contribution you think there could be someone else able to take on the job - and able to communicate this to the groups expecting a payment.

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Did we ever find out about where the money for the community awards went?

20. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

probably towards their Winterville kitty

21. sunnysidedown

sunnysidedown Well-Known Member

At school the term Hoopla was used to describe the act of being held down and then getting someones bare bum in the your face, followed most of the time by the bum farting. The aim of the assailant was to get their ring-piece as close to the nose of the unfortunate victim as possible before letting one out. Not a particularly nice thing to receive I can tell you.

22. Tricky Skills

Tricky Skills I demand tea - NOW!

Confirmed: Field Day not returning to Brockwell Park for 2019. The Mighty Hoopla is still expected to apply for a licence.

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Green Party statement:

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Tweet:

25. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

When it gets to around spring time of next year i can imagine some members of Brockwell Tranquility and various other Herne Hill residents are going to be quite disappointed, not because the festival will not be going ahead, but because they will have lost a purpose in their otherwise boring and uneventful lives to complain and campaign about a music festival near to where they live.

hungry_squirrel and alcopop like this.
  26. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Feedback session today and tomorrow.

27. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

I think you underestimate the capacity for whining round here

28. discobastard

discobastard Well-Known Member

It's laser sharp, witty, empathic and erudite comments like this that keep me coming back here.

29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I could take or leave Field Day but the Mighty Hoopla was a great day out, with throwbacks to the old Brockwell Park Prides. Shame it's a commercial, fenced off affair though.

30. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

theres no way Mighty Hoopla could afford all that infrastructure for a 1 day gig. The Organisers must have a new festival planned for the other days.

editor likes this.