Festival Essentials ??

Discussion in 'festivals' started by Motown_ben, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Motown_ben

Motown_ben Well-Known Member

So we're off to bestival in a couple of weeks and its my first festival in a long time. So to all you festival types whats your best hints and tips and what items would you not think of going without?

2. S☼I

S☼I it's my room get out

Baby wipes. Skins. Bottle opener. That's about it.

3. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Right as it's Bestival you'll need extra strong pants to get past the hordes of Police.

Nah, seriously:

• Reliable tent
    • Good wet weather gear
    • Warm clothes (Bestival gets v cold at night)
    • Wet wipes
    • Pocket tissues are better than loo roll imo
    • Good strong booze (think alcohol to weight ratio)
    • Painklillers
    • A sense of humour

The rest will look after itself, enjoy yourself.

4. Teaboy

Of course glass is banned from all uk festivals so I assume you must have some sort of plastic bottles that need opening with an opener.............................

5. pk

pk drink flounce rinse repeat

Druqs.

6. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

Waterproof trousers and jacket with good boots/wellies.
    Lots of spare socks and pants in plastic bags so they stay dry in your bag/tent.
    Wet wipes.
    Little first aid kit with painkillers, plasters, antiseptic etc
    Sun cream and hat even if you think you wont need them.
    Loo roll.
    Snacks such as crisps and biscuits so you can nibble back at the tent.
    Gaffer tape. It's good for lots of things.

Other than that it kinda depends on you and what you want from a festi?

7. kained&able

kained&able Here for the football.

Pair of decent work boots
    wet wipes
    cereal bars
    torch
    spare battery for phone
    foldable garden chair

8. Motown_ben

Iv heard that bestival usually has a v heavy police presense so this might be hard, though hopefully not uimpossible :D

9. Motown_ben

At the moment we have torches, wet wipes, fleeces, waterproof jackets but no trousers, and iv only got trainers not and heavy duty boots. I might take a visit to the army surplus place at the weekend just in case it looks like its gonna be a wet weekend.

sense of humour is a very good idea too, im deffo gonna take that.

10. Teaboy

Up the arse.

Or just very well concealed, most of the dogs there arnt actually properly trained sniffer dogs and they are working in an environment where there are to many smells for them to just hone in on one. Its more that the police are just looking for peoples reactions.

Look straight ahead, no eye contact, don't flinch. You'll be fine, or just buy them when you are there.

11. Teaboy

This is a good one.

12. Motown_ben

Yeah thats a good one, I got this covered tho cos I bought one of those emergency charger things that allows you to plug your phone into an AA battery. that plus a 4 pack of aa batterys should keep me going for the weekend hopefully/

13. Motown_ben

Yeah thats the plan (heavily concealed not up the bum) and act all normal should be ok. Not planning on taking much anyway. Nothing that could get me in any serious trouble if the worse comes to the worst.

14. Teaboy

A little bottle of alcohol handwash is handy as well. The last time I went (2008) the toilets wernt great and they didnt really see the need to locate taps near the toilets.

You'll need a fancy dress (if you're into that sort of thing) and turn up for the drum n bass early as its always packed out.

15. Motown_ben

yeah still undecided about the fancy dress, il have to see what % of my mates are doing, dont wannna be the odd one out.

16. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Condoms.

Just in case a water fight breaks out and you need water ballons.

Speaking of water a small bottle of mineral water. Useful to refill at taps.

17. S☼I

S☼I it's my room get out

I didn't know that. Last time I went to a festival it wasn't that strict. But thanks for the sarcasm, anyway.

18. Teaboy

No worries, anyway it was more jokey glib because despite this rule being in place everyone still rocks up with loads of bottles.

19. Teaboy

I'm not a fan of fancy dress myself but of all the festivals I've been to Bestival is probably where most people get involved. That being said if it rains its all pointless as everyone will have their coats and ponchos on making the fancy dress irrelevent.

I just can't be arsed with sorting it out prior to the festival and then the extra weight of carrying it in.

20. S☼I

S☼I it's my room get out

I see. Well thank goodness I'm far too old for all that sort of thing. I would hate to arrive at a festival and have to admonish the young folk for flagrant rule-breaking.

Next you'll be telling me chillums are banned.

21. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Weapons are banned too. How u spose to have any fun with no broken bottles to brandish in one hand or sharpened dinner knife in tother.

Brandishing a jagged plastic bottle and a plastic spork just isn't the same.

22. Teaboy

Theres a good reason for the glass rule being in place, I don't mind the odd rule when it makes sense. Anyway glass is so heavy, I don't understand why anyone would want to bring it along?

I've no idea about your chillums but I should imagine you can get a cream for em.

23. Teaboy

Swiss army knife fights ftw

24. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

With this in mind, if you are decanting spirits in to plastic bottles, be sure to clearly mark them.
    I am sure we all have a story about having a raging hangover and downing what you think is a delicious, thirst quenching, glug of water and it turning out to be *insert clear spirit of choice here*.

25. Teaboy

Urine, Beautiful Days 2009, not what I had hoped really.

26. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

I did worse than this. I took a bottle of "water" filled a saucepan with it and proceeded to re cook my k. it was vodka and worse, gloworms vodka, she was most cross.

nogojones and Badgers like this.
  27. Teaboy

You were cooking up k at a festival? You should have gone the whole hog and manufactured some chrystal meth.

28. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

Oh goodness. I have not had one of our party do that!! :eek:

It's always been vodka or gin or something.

29. kittyP

kittyP schmeeer

Yeah that is quite.... er... committed of you :D

30. lizzieloo

lizzieloo Numpty extraordinaire

We had a sprung mattress in our tent at Boomtown 'twas bliss, will evermore be an essential.

r0bb0 likes this.