Favourite sound in a song?

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Johnny Vodka, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

Beck's Jack-Ass just came on my i-tunes and I forgot how much I love that animal (pig? horse? fuck knows!) noise at the end of it. :oops: Always makes me smile. What's your favourite snippet of sound in a song?

2. heinous seamus

heinous seamus til clay-cauld death shall blind my ee

Me and my mate once ran a drum machine through a few effects pedals on a song and it sounded like someone farting :cool:

3. story

story Changing the facts

The breathing and cumming on Break 4 Love.

krink and Rutita1 like this.
  4. dessiato

dessiato I have earned the right to sing the blues

I always like to listen to the bass lines. I like bass guitar, Maybe I ought to learn to play one. I did once play the tuba, maybe that's where it stems from.

5. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

the 'nanawoo-eee-oy' bit from shyfx Original Nuttah

BassJunkie and Wolveryeti like this.
  6. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

First thing that came to mind was the sound that comes up in the big intro of this track, which sounds like a scaffold pipe being struck

Smith Inc - Palomino (0.18 and repeated)

and on a similar theme that also popped into my head straight after, in Voodoo Ray theres a melodic metal pipe type sound that really makes the track
    hear it loud and clear here at 0.39

turns out i really like the sound of metal pipes. I didnt know that about myself

Orang Utan, stethoscope and Fez909 like this.
  7. D'wards

D'wards I'm an excellent driver

I always assumed that was the sound a jack-ass makes. In fact, i'm sure of it

Johnny Vodka and joustmaster like this.
  8. ska invita

I think they got it from Cypress HIll...

not sure where they got it from. Great sound for sure

hash tag, stavros and krink like this.
  9. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

The sound of glass smashing all the way through this tune
    I like most of the noises in this, but especially the deep, futuristic synth pad which goes, "Wooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww" (43 seconds is a good example)
    And I love this rounded, 'hollow' bass sound which is common to a few tracks. It kicks in at 1:20 here. I think it might be a square wave? Dunno.

stethoscope and ska invita like this.
  10. ska invita

that is a nice bass!

Fez909 likes this.
  11. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

The bass noise in this song, well it is just a pitched kick drum really:

12. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

I'm sure throughout Maxinquaye you can hear Tricky taking puffs of weed. That's pretty cool. :D

Chick Webb likes this.
  13. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

I love the ending of Down in the Sewer by The Stranglers.

Last twenty seconds down the plughole(But the whole song is worth a listen).

rubbershoes and krink like this.
  14. billy_bob

billy_bob contents may have settled during transit

Jazz's strangulated "ha" at 0.03 and the slightly longer "hey" at 0.08 on the live version of Pssyche would have to be a strong contender for me.

It would have me literally throwing myself towards the dancefloor, in the days when such a thing was physically possible for me (and when such things were played anywhere near dancefloors....).

15. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank If it's alive, don't lick it.

That howl of negative-space feedback at the start of this:

albionism, chilango and ska invita like this.
  16. tendril

tendril Leave your money on the dresser

What we used to call the leftfield clang in this oldschool corker (heard first at 1:13) :)

stethoscope likes this.
  17. maya

maya timewasting fool (in every universe)

Steel guitars. I fucking love steel guitars. In any song.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    ska invita likes this.
  18. wtfftw

wtfftw melting like a toastie

Donk

nogojones and ska invita like this.
  19. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baŠĻČned: All

The sound of breaking glass and accompanying "oooooo" on the first beat of the bar in the Prodigy's Break and Enter.

20. Enviro

Enviro Make your assessment

BPT - Turn Me On (John Ciafone's Dub) (track 3 on disc 1 of Global Underground 10: Danny Tenaglia)

That reverby balloon popping/ squash ball sound, it's bloody amazing.

21. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Share knowledge, don't weaponize it

The multitude of synth noises on anything that involved Trevor Horn, JJ Jeczalik, Gary Langan, Anne Dudley back in the 80s. I'm thinking Art of Noise, Propaganda and the first ABC and FGTH albums. Oh and the Grace Jones Slave to the Rhythm LP.

And away from the ZTT lot; I love the samples and squishy noises on Eno & Byrne's "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts"...

22. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

23. copliker

copliker ...

"Woo!"

And handclaps.

stupid dogbot likes this.
  24. stupid dogbot

stupid dogbot Haughty and Superior

Oh, there are so many. But of late, it's been El-P. He has always had a really specific sound to his work, but recently, the loopy, fuzzy, sequenced synth sound with loads of distorted echo-y reverb he's been employing is the dopest of dopeness.

For example, in the intro (and ongoing) to $4 Vic from his last record... from about 2.30 just gives me shivers...

Or on his production of Killer Mike's Don't Die, a story track about trying to get away from corrupt cops...

"Boooowwwwww!"

Starts carefully, but escalates. Ends up almost sounding like a police chase. It develops from verse one into something quite threatening and scary. I don't believe there are any sirens in the verse 2/3 music, but it's almost like you can hear them. Sound from similarly distorted, reverby sequenced synths. Love it.

25. story

story Changing the facts

Oh yeah, I love the sound of Tricky gasping for breathe through his asthma on that album. It makes the whole LP really claustrophobic. I know he was an epic toker, but I always thought it was his asthma that made those sounds. He often talked about how suffocated he felt with his breathing problems. Also his sticky mouth sounds. It's all very close-up and intimate.

Johnny Vodka and Chick Webb like this.
  26. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

at 3:30.... seems to be made with a guitar? Steppenwolf

guitarist goes a bit OTT at the beginning of this live version, reckon he had takena about 20 LSDs:

27. stupid dogbot

stupid dogbot Haughty and Superior

Samples...

From 0.10 onwards, the build up, then the horn from Albert King's I'll Play the Blues For You is amazing. Probably one of the most used sampled riffs in hip hop, but still. Kane did it first and it still sounds great. Worthwhile mentions to EPMD, Prince Paul and even Atmosphere, amongst many others.

The riff in Mastermind, by Deltron 3030. Dan the Automator's production is beyond reproach, but the use of the sample from Johnny Olivo's Alguien is inspired, the perfect counterpoint to Del's spitfire delivery.

Again, the riff around which the song is built. Rarely will I give much props to Necro, cos he's a bit (or a lot) of a dick. But the usage of Liya Fang's Guitar Hot Springs gives a light, airy sound which is an excellent counterpoint to the paranoid, political gangsterism of Ill Bill, Goretex and Sabac.

krink likes this.
  28. krink

krink I'll do it this afternoon

king tubby messing with drums is always a good sound

stethoscope, ska invita and Enviro like this.
  29. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

Lots probably. Coming to mind at the moment is the choo choo train at the beginning of Mcgear's Leave It.

30. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

I totally agree. I've occasionally heard some industrial noise at a distance which has reminded me of this, and I have hold myself back from launching into a paean to the green stuff. :cool: