1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favourite films for soundtrack or score?

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by Kid_Eternity, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Even ugliness looks beautiful next to you.
    Termite Man likes this.
  2. Termite Man

Termite Man zombie flesh eater

someone has to make you look good
  3. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

You can't hide from your shadow.
  4. Termite Man

I don't know what that means, I can turn all the lights off, then I'm well away from my shadow.
  5. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

You'll never understand. You and me, we're not even the same species. I used to be you, then I evolved.
    Termite Man likes this.
  6. Termite Man

evolution isn't always an improvement you know.
    Badgers likes this.
  7. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

This is not about you, you egomaniac. I kinda like you.
    Termite Man likes this.
  8. Termite Man

I like you too badgers :D
    Badgers likes this.
  9. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

You know, the only thing that kills the demon... is love.
  10. Termite Man

and a knife soaked in virgin olive oil plunged through the heart on the 2nd full moon of the year.
  11. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

You killed life!
  12. Termite Man

No I killed Mr Moonlight
  13. starfish

starfish No dialogue. Just plot.

Especially this one
  14. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

Yup, used by Bomb the Base in their tune Megablast and in the old Amiga game Xenon 2 Megablast. :)
  15. no-no

no-no Small robot you know

Ravenous has a nice soundtrack, this is a nice menacing one...

Zatoichi too, I love this film soundtrack....
  16. Stigmata

Stigmata sexual tyrannosaurus

Conan the Barbarian had an excellent score. Basil Poledouris is one of my favourite film composers.

17. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

David Lynch, not John Carpenter!
    Badalamenti has something to do with the Drive soundtrack I think or maybe Cliff Martinez did it all. I saw a copy with AB's credit one, but it only had half the soundtrack on it and lots of dramatic scenes had Brian Eno's An Ending or Descent (can't remember which).
    Anyway - my favourites would have to be Midnight Express, Tenebrae, Suspiria, Profundo Rosso, Risky Business, The Good The Bad & The Ugly or Once Upon A Time In The West. Or Stalker. Or Solaris (both versions). Hard to decide really! Ooh, I forgot The Thin Red Line.
    Then there's all the Philip Glass soundtracks! Mishima is ace (and still used in load of trailers).
  18. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

No, the Drive soundtrack sounds nothing like Badalamenti. It's Martinez and another six tracks by other artists. Great soundtrack and one of my favourite albums of the year.
  19. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

i think AB's contribution must have been rejected then, cos the soundtrack of the version i saw had all the other artist tracks on it. martinez must have been brought in later.
  20. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

Yeah, the Drive soundtrack is superb.
  21. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

Originally the Drive soundtrack was supposed to be composed by Johnny Jewel, who produces two of the bands featured on the soundtrack, Chromatics and College. For some reason it didn't work out and Cliff Martinez ended up composing the score. Jewel's album Symmetry apparently features tracks that were originally meant for Drive. It's quite good too.
    DaveCinzano likes this.
  22. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

I really like his soundtrack for Robocop.
  23. Rock Bottom

Rock Bottom Second Wind

I like the way "The Third Man" soundtrack captures and adjusts to the tone of movie. As has been mentioned before, John Carpenter's original compositons also work well to invoke the exact mood he is looking for. Especially in Assault on Precinct 13, which is for me, his standout movie soundtrack pairing.

Other interesting examples are where the whole concept of the movie is built on a particular genre of music. In this way, New Jack City, Boyz in the Hood, 8 Mile, and La Haine work very well. Regarding this, I was very interested to see the documentary the other day about Ken Russell, who based all his early TV work around composers' works. I'd be very interested in seeing them.
  24. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

The o brother where art thou soundtrack was ace.

I really like the one for the baz luhrman romeo & juliet too
  25. Dandred

Dandred Mmmmm Beer!

Ghost Dog way of the Samurai

Can't find the bugger to download or buy anywhere here in Korea.....
  26. killer b

killer b Gazing vacantly at a plate of mince

i've had this morricone tune stuck in my head for about a week now... can't speak for the rest of the soundtrack, or the film. but this is a total killer.

27. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

Yup that's a great one!
  28. Kaka Tim

Kaka Tim Crush the Saboteurs!

Cool Hand Luke

and obv Pulp Fiction, Trainspotting and Oh Brother Where art Thou?
  29. blairsh

blairsh Frying pantheist

Yes! Good call :cool:
  30. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

For soundtrack, I have a particular penchant for Hackers. Orbital, Leftfield, Prodigy, Underworld, Stereo MCs... and more. Brilliant.

For score you can't really beat Axel F in Beverly Hills Cop. Plus the soundtrack is pretty awesome too. Patti LaBelle, Pointer Sisters, and Glenn Frey's The Heat Is On.