Fate of EU citizens in the UK post Brexit

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by ska invita, Dec 17, 2018.

1. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

What is about to happen to the 3.5 million EU citizens living in the UK? For a start everyone needs to 'register' on this government app thing.

This article looks at people experiencing signing up
    Britain’s E.U. Exit App Is About to Downgrade the Lives of 3.7 Million People
    The key thing is how many people wont sign up, due to a range of barriers
    This looks at who are most vulnerable and what the barriers are
    https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac....-failing-to-secure-their-rights-after-brexit/

This is an unprecedented attempt to sign up 'undocumented' poeple.
    Simliar US schemes resulted in an average 60% sign up rate. UK government expect 100%.
    Those who do not sign up will become illegal and ready for hostile environment deportation

Said better here
    This is the key line:
    EVEN If ninety per cent of Britain’s E.U. nationals register before June 30, 2021, when the program ends, more than three hundred and fifty thousand people will still be undocumented, at the mercy of the U.K.’s so-called “hostile environment” toward irregular migrants. “They are going to be illegal on the day after the deadline,”

Fuck That.

Bear in mind people without British ciitzenship are already being denied housing and jobs at this time by employers and landlords.
    UK landlords are turning away EU citizens
    Europeans need not apply: evidence mounts of discrimination in UK
    This is a crisis waiting to happen - and for some already happening

This may be a bit of a slow burning thread as the process will be drawn out - I think registartion officially kicks in in March.

Do we have any UK resident EU citiznes who post on the boards? Or friends and partners? Those closest to me have already left.

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

this *will* end well - the utter fuck up that's coming, that is, not this thread

Poi E likes this.
  3. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

And will the reverse process happen to UK citizens over the ditch, somewhere in Europe ?

4. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

I know people who've left and others who are planning to leave after being here more than 20 years. Also know two people who forked out the 1400 quid to apply for citizenship due to the uncertainty, one of whom still plans to fuck the fuck off. Doesn't feel welcome here any more.

The piece has it exactly right that this is another Windrush scandal waiting to happen. It is also yet another layer of regulation and control. It fucking stinks, and not only for those directly involved, for all of us. This is what has angered me the most about this disgusting process, and the fact that May of all fucking people is in charge of it is just a kick in the fucking face.

5. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

Six months after the referendum result, I had sold my London flat and moved back to Germany after 33 years in the UK. Following the ongoing shit-show that is Brexit from a safe distance, it's the best decision I've made in a long time.

I have friends who are EU citizens who still live in the UK and others who have left. One of my best friends in London is German and she has family there, but now that her sons are grown up, even she is considering leaving.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Pingety Pong, Gramsci, Poi E and 5 others like this.
  6. spitfire

spitfire Toast

My girlfriend is French (and my daughter as well despite being born in Whitechapel, we're not married).

She's lived here and paid tax for 25 years and has said she's not paying any fucker any money to stay here.

I'm Irish but was born here so could probably wriggle through but fuck them, I'm not going on a register.

7. My step-mother is Dutch, she's been here 30 odd years and is not planning on doing anything. tbf she is the most hostile human being I have ever met, so I doubt she'd notice if there was an increase in hostility towards EU citizens.

Mordi, Duncan2, kabbes and 6 others like this.
  8. xenon

xenon Sweep and cut

It's what the people wanted... :rolleyes:

Ha, remember when David Davis was so anti ID cards... I wonder if he's got anything to say about this.

9. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Official Twitter Liaison Officer

The Scottish (SNP) government said that they would pay the fee for any EU citizen up here who had to register.

The UK government responded by saying they would not accept this and the people have to pay it themselves.

10. ska invita

i wonder if theres any mileage in a noncompliance campaign? sounds risky

being "illegal" means bank accounts closed on you, fired from a job, no access to health care, deportation <hundreds of thousands of people about to be put in that situation

Manter and spitfire like this.
  11. ska invita

...and even without her Tory leaders respawn....and as to putting faith in Labour to do any better.

This process must be killed off before it runs, right?

Winot and littlebabyjesus like this.
  12. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Yes.

13. ska invita

Question is how.
    I guess at least Norway+ as an option negates it.

I wonder what documentation resistance campaigns have been in the past (US especially i expect).

An issue to press on the Labour Party too (for what its worht)

14. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

Well as UK citizen living in the EU I can't say I'm panicking tbh.I'll just fill in whatever form they require here

tim likes this.
  15. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

I wonder if they'll have their shitty app working for iPhones yet.

I know plenty of young Spanish people and other EU nationals in a few different places and all are a bit unsure or even concerned but very few of them are talking about leaving. Then none of us have houses, kids etc really so it's not such a hard choice to make. Most are generally uncertain about their future but I haven't had anyone extolling the dramatic virtues of returning to France, Italy, Spain, Hungary or Portugal to me recently. Plenty have moved here since Brexit in the past couple of years.

My impression is a fair few Polish people have left because the economy is definitely doing better there and the pound is weak. I bet places like Lincolnshire it's more noticeable, or in NHS sectors etc. Maybe I live in a bubble but having moved back to the England recently - I don't see/feel a hostile environment in the cities. I'm on buses with people talking loudly or arguing in several different languages and not heard a peep out of any weirdos or racists.

Hoping to help out a housing union in the near future and discrimination against EU workers would def be something to watch out for and stand up against.

Fez909 and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  16. flypanam

flypanam designated title: local oaf

My wife is shitting it, she's Canadian she'll have here 5 years in January she's frustrated because information about the roll out is pretty thin. The thing she's really worried about is getting somewhere to live if our lease isn't renewed.

17. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

I work as a gardener for a London council. About one third of the workforce are non-UK EU nationals. None of them have expressed any concerns to me about what will happen in March, or about a more hostile atmosphere since the referendum. The council is clearly anticipating that they will still be working for the foreseeable future as out of six of us they paid for to go on a three day training course the other week, three were non-UK EU nationals.

Make of that what you will...

Poi E likes this.
  18. How is a Canadian affected by this?

Celyn and Spymaster like this.
  19. flypanam

I'm Irish and she's here as an EU family member

20. Will she not also be here as a family member of an Irish person?

21. flypanam

22. RubyBlue

RubyBlue faded and jaded

This scheme was trialled in Liverpool and has now been rolled out across (most?) universities. My partner works for LSE and they are paying for all their European staff who apply. He completed his application today and intends staying in the UK after being here 20+ years.

23. flypanam

CTA for you. Worst happens is that we move back to Ireland.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  24. tim

tim Well-Known Member

If you're an Irish citizen your right to live here will be unaffected because your right of residence is guaranteed by the 1949 Ireland act, which says you are not a foreigner

25. spitfire

spitfire Toast

Well I'm alright then. I guess the other 2 will just fuck off to france. Sorted.

kebabking likes this.
  26. ska invita

not sure if you are picking up on my use of the word hostile - that was referring to official government policy of Hostility
    I tried to make it 100% clear in the OP, many will sign up and fingers crossed the reality of that won't be a nightmare for them - but hundreds of thousands won't for reasons made clear in the OP. These are the people to be most worried about and to stand up for

Anyone with recent experinece of the home office in regards right to remain will know that even doing everything right can sometimes not be enough.

27. zahir

zahir Well-Known Member

What happens to an EU citizen living here and planning to marry someone from back home? Will their partner have the right to Iive here, or will it depend on their income?

28. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

I'm not suggesting that my colleagues are necessarily typical - that the fact that they are in secure employment with a public sector employer means they are likely more secure and feeling more secure than if this was not the case.

But I really don't think it's accurate or helpful to suggest (as your OP and the headline of the article you've linked to both do) that the position of all the 3.5 million EU citizens living in the UK is threatened come March 29th next year.

29. ska invita

my understanding is: Depends from when zahir, said partner needs 5 years on the clock here at this point, so No. But if said EU citizen can eventually get settled status then from then they would have to go through the usual channels for a spouse which means having a big income <<<another bullshit law that needs binning immediately - one rule for the wealthy another for the poorer.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.